Reduces Damage by %. Does it affect your choice of items?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reduces Damage by %. Does it affect your choice of items?

Post by void on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 am

Having a lot of DR is great. 50% of it can effectively double your hit points against melee attacks.
But the fact that DR is so powerful most of the time (not if you don't fight against melee enemies or manage not to get hit much) might also have an effect on which items you are going to use on your character. This is what I'm curious about. Colored 

• Does DR have an impact on your choice of items?
  • If yes, how much are you willing to sacrifice other stats for it? Do you have an example?
  • If no, what items are you using that you think you wouldn't be using if you needed DR?

I hope you guys have some interesting answers to this. Smile

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reduces Damage by %. Does it affect your choice of items?

Post by Aspirine101 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Maybe, yes.
If I happen to get DR on some item (f.e boots) but I also have 2 pairs of gloves f.e, one for offensive one for defensive, and I can't really know which one to wield, I will wield the offensive one if I get the DR boots.

If I needed DR, I'd try to find the item that has the most DR and the least sacrifice that's needed to obtain it.
Btw why don't you have a cookie yet? I'll give you one Smile

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Thank you. Smile 

I think DR affects me too.
Sometimes I check what items I got and start dreaming "Hey, this armor looks cool. It has Ice Lance on melee attack; Maybe this could be turned into a fun character build!" But eventually I realize I need more DR, so I drop the idea and go with Hratli's Craft.
A good alternative to DR would be reanimates or slow, but they are not quite the same.

Even early game is it either Albrecht's Revenge for the proc and reanimates or Jitan's Kamon for DR. Thinking

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by powtek on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:04 pm

TU Chain Mail is good because of the 1/1 wdm proc and reanimates that will serve as meatshields. But my overall choice is TU Splint Mail because of the awesome tri-elemental damage and, of course, the godly DR.

powtek
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm

TU Splint Mail is so solid that you can use it as end game item too. One of the best tiered uniques in the game.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm willing to sacrifice some slots for items with DR% but I use as much DR% as it's safe for me to farm so I don't loose too much killing speed. I never choose up to 50%, only in exceptional cases such as some uberquests...For example I'm a fan of glasscannon builds and they usually need DR to take those 1-2 hits from animation recovery but I just adapt the number so I can take those 2 hits. On my ecstatic curare javazon I just use maybe 20 DR% from my Arush, demonic touch gloves and TA charm. Sometimes I like to swap builds just to avoid getting bored and I replace demonic touch with gulag's...I don't rely on DR% more then I rely on my moving, kitting, avoiding skills since that could bring me trouble...

romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I only pay attention to dr% mid game. After I accumulate a good amount of charms I don't even consider it. Granted it is one of the best stats at keeping you alive, I just live by the dead enemies do no damage play style. Most of my finished characters have no more than 15% and that comes mostly from trophies charms.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stoya on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am

it always depends on your character choice and style of play.. some chars really need high %dr to be in real safe..
for melee chars that doesnt have block and avoid, id prefer/aim +%30 dr no matter what your dmg&leech is. sometimes it will be just too hard to controll crowd and keep dying from same thing means: you miss 1pt and you fail designing your char.
as an example, you cant play uh melee paladin under %25-35dr amounts(you cant leech,block-prob-avoid and rely on losim), sure its viable in some ubers and one of the things i kept sayin about median is 'kill/clear asap cause dead mobs do no dmg' BUT in some shitty situations you wanna keep yourself alive to recover/migitate of the hp you lost. where %dr shines, it migitates the incoming phys dmg where you will mostly need for fauzt, vizjun and dunc -most profitable ubers-..

javazon and sin are other examples, but they have other terms of defence, block or avoid OR both.. and mostly they have good amounts of laek,losim ll from gear to recover to lose of hp.

your question is very good but hard to sum up quick easy and doesnt have 1 short answer.. you need to know basic game mechanics, armor block avoid dr leech losim los and such..

another example, if your char doesnt have avoid, block you need to invest some sort of defence(armor) to reduce to be chanced to get hit as well as %dr for physical side of uber areas.
on the other side, if you have block which can be capped at %75 you can design your char to leech, los more like javazon and you can easily run zero defence but it needs some sort of quick and madness playstyle.. which i advice to go very very endgame.

for your basic question, yeah id gladly sacrifice some parts of dps for getting %dr on some chars.. simply, 'dead chars do no dmg' aswell Smile

stoya
Darkwarden

do some research LOL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:41 am

True nice explination

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am

(Oh no! I had a really long answer to this, but I got timed out and now I can't do it again and have to summarize it. Hitting a Wall )
@stoya wrote:javazon and sin are other examples, but they have other terms of defence, block or avoid OR both.. and mostly they have good amounts of laek,losim ll from gear to recover to lose of hp.
I like block and avoid too. They have the spirit of "x% to reduce all damage by 100%". You can even avoid barrels which DR can't.
In many cases they are better than DR.

However DR is more reliable because it will reduce the damage taken every time, while the two above are randomized.
With the right gear it won't matter which type of defense you prefer, as your survivability is much higher than with less than mediocre equipment.
I don't have great gear, so that might be an explanation why I heavily stock up on it.

By the way, I like that you included leech and life after kill into the list of alternatives, I totally forgot about those. Smile 

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum