Softcore is Popular Because...

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Softcore is Popular Because...

Post by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:05 pm

I respect all players especially median players and I do not like longggggg or step-by-step pph replies so I'll make this 3 paragraphs...Please no responses longer than a pph as I won't be able to read it bc 99 percent of multiparagraph responses read like or become rants.

How many SC->HC people have asked me about WTF MEPH INSTAGIB? probably over 90%. Many many don't know about the summoner, tactics, how to kill diablo in any difficulty. what kiting is.The top 3 reasons I see for SC (for me, your mileage may vary and I RESPECT your viewpoint):

1-People like the COTW (1 per centers) crowd (who only play for OP cotws) and goofy cat lovers like whist can goof their way to riches then just have fun being "creative" (i.e. making a median out of median sort-of a hybrid cotw median game). This is fun so I get it. Smile. This can overlap with 2 & 3.
2 (most players reason...) -Because  you are AFRAID of dying in this virtual world. (WHY?!!!! My opinion? Why ever reset ladder if you can't take a 1/month high lvl death). This is something I cannot understand. Again ladder reset you lose it all. So? This isn't real life folks. It's a VERY FUN game!
3- (Other 44 percent) Because you are afraid you aren't skilled enough. That is one of the silliest reasons I've heard. I learned to be better through Hardcore and actually playing through acts/ubers true, but if you haven't given more than 2 months of play to a hardcore game how do you know your skill level? I've had folks afraid they're too slow a leveler! that's a GOOD thing Very Happy
...HC is more fun for most that have played both. And if we had more HC players more would come there bc they enjoy trading etc. Smile

the idea that only through first using softcore teaches one with more than 1 month of play seems silly as I've seen HC new to diablo people do well. Skilled but also slow play. What's my point? How about just try it. Once. Even if you don't want to die in a virtual world learning to be a better player at the game we all "love". ED: About that love...I shouldn't have to mention it, but did I mention how some players (Okay over half my /f list! Wink ) get bored fast from SC from having every su/ssu/sssu and charm (minus maybe trophies or upped Lazarus), then complain about boredom/leave/and/or go to SP (for multires other sp stuff)

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Softcore is Popular Because...

Post by archon256 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:17 pm

@Will wrote:
2 (most players reason...) -Because  you are AFRAID of dying in this virtual world.
Oh, it's quite the opposite. I'm afraid of dying in the real world, so it's quite nice to be able to experience immortality in a game, however limited it may be.  Wink

Seriously though, I don't want to lose a week's worth of progress because I fuck up. That isn't fun for me, and I don't gain anything in return. I'm not a thrill-seeker, I don't play games for that.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Sentence 2 makes sentence 1 incorrect. But I do appreciate the short response. Very Happy

Cookie! (I should have one). P.s. I'm not a thrillseeker either. But I don't mind ladder resets and so I respect your opposing view Mr Green

I should clarify... Do you not have fun during the time played in that 1 week? and what if 1 week turns to 1 month? Wink

Last edited by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Post by aknazer on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:22 pm

1) First time playing. I don't want to "learn" about a 1hko and lose my character.

2) Time restricted. I don't want to put in all this time and then have to start over and waste my time simply because I died.

3) Melee character. It is even easier to get killed when you have to go into melee range. Even more true when dealing with 1hko mechanics.

4) Content. Nothing like trying to do Duncaig and teleporting, only to get surrounded and being unable to escape that barrel. Or getting that 1hp curse in Triune and having the bats appear on top of you. Or any of the various other users that have similar mechanics.

So while some people enjoy the challenge of hc, it just isn't for me primarily for the reasons above.

aknazer
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm

1-> Okay you're afraid to die... Not sure what the point here is.

2-> Use the "stash" Wink (Mules)

3/4----> Melee/Content: I unfortunately did not make median. But good feedback for sigma or marco for XV? I dunno.

Challenge? it's the same game. I'm quoting whist here. And marco would likely say the same. It's the exact same game you're played. You just have to mule your extras and use gr8er pots of exp. not so bad right? For a little more fun?

P.s. u tried hc yet? (And 1-4 are not sarcasm, they are suggestions to elaborate or useful in-game tips Very Happy).

Last edited by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 pm

4. I'm stressed out because of exams/RL and don't have the patience to play HC as it should be played, so I go yoloswag and die, despite knowing I'll die if I do it. That's why I played a few HC chars like a week ago, died due to impatience, then quit and started SC.

Then again, I play HC in Iron Man mode, no TP and S&E scumming, so I probably die more often than other HC players.

For me, the fun in HC is being able to make do with things you find along the way, and trying to do funky off-beat stuff, then dying in funny ways and replaying it in a slightly different way, using just the items found. It makes you appreciate the start and everything more, and you get very proficient at leveling and using odd combinations of items/skills.

Yea, I can see people from SC dying to things like summoner, etc.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Okay this is a definite hole in my argument. The aspect of "Time required"

My cure?

Others!

Loans and generosity get you everywhere! I've given many upg sunstones and full sets alrdy and still have mo mo mo heh.

P.s. Well written! Kudos... I guess I should have highlighted why I have such a passion for 1 mode > another. For me it just feels more fun I dunno.

Last edited by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Dunno, it kinda feels better if I get them myself, as a reward for not dying until then. Mr Green Unlike SC, where it's more like "let's get this over with asap so I can go on and do 'real' stuff".

Usually if I have less time to play I actually prefer HC, because I can play a short time and die. Then the next time I just start over and die again. It doesn't take as much time as playing SC indefinitely. I can compare it to, for example, playing 1 match of starcraft or lol and stopping, instead of going on indefinitely. xD

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Aye. and indefinite tends to bore people (see my friendlist quotes about reset or quitting till later). Agreed.

Oh and when I say hole I mean for the general public as a whole....the topic itself. Not that you pointed out the hole but just that it exists.

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 pm

The main reason I don't like the Hardcore mode of Diablo II, is that it doesn't bring any new content to the game in itself. Wanna play Hardcore, you might as well just delete your character when you die. OMG, the mode has separated games and it's own ladder... The game feels so different I just jizzed my pants thinking about it.

From my point of view, this just wasn't worth coding a whole separated game mode for THIS. Those who looked enough in the code know there is quite a lot of stuff involved for the implementation of HC, and my opinion for Sigma, is that it could have been reworked into something more interesting.

If it wasn't for that detail, I personally wouldn't have any problem against the hardcore mode. Even though I still wouldn't play it because this kind of game play simply isn't for me. I don't concentrate enough when I play a game and usually get distracted easily. I also like to be able to leave sight of my screen for whatever reason, without having to think about the fact that my character will die and will be unusable. I'm the kind of person that might just be in the middle of a fight and then be like, hmmm, I'm hungry, going to get a snack, and just leave the game like that while I go upstairs to get a snack. I come back, my character has died of course, but meh, it's softcore.

There is also the fact the mod isn't balanced for HC. There's simply too many insta-kills, it's often luck based. Playing HC in MXL is kind of like playing Russian Roulette. Sure there is a bit of skills involved as well, I can't deny that.

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum