Yshari Sanctum - Your Opinion?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yshari Sanctum - Your Opinion?

Post by aknazer on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:22 am

I finally killed Valthek on my third attempt (minions surrounded my TP the first time and the totem bugged out the second) and I must say that that I greatly enjoyed this uber and that so far it has been my favorite. Everything from the level design (though it can get a bit tiring if you have to go to Duriel/Baal multiple times), to the progressively harder areas, to the differences between the sub-bosses, and especially the final boss fight just all seemed to be really well put together and interesting.

So, with that said, how do others feel about this place? Love it, hate it, think it's only ok?

aknazer
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yshari Sanctum - Your Opinion?

Post by archon256 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 am

I like the concept, it's just very annoying when you have to do it in parts because you need to go through so many sections again.

There was some talk a while ago about having red portals that go directly to each of the sections (and I suggested having them be guarded by elite lieutenant-type monsters of varying difficulties to indicate how the section are meant to have varying difficulties), it's a pity it never went anywhere.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterRiven on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:14 pm

I've managed to do most of Yshari but haven't done the boss yet (still missing a couple pieces from the boss minions) but it is really fun to play through it, you get nice varieties, and it has a really cool dungeon crawl feel to it. Definitely one of my favorite ubers, and now that I've gotten it figured out its really fun to play around in.

MasterRiven
Corruptor Warlock

TGBest 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 pm

I really like the concept. I haven't attempted it since I got to meph and couldn't kill him (it was my first exposure to super regen and I was playing a caster) but it's one I wouldn't mind fiddling with again someday.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 pm

hey look, some people DO like the uber Razz

It has it's pros and it cons.
- Since the uber is made of stages... the only way to make such thing is to... manually place each mob (yes, I manually placed 3000 mobs). Which means... the mobs are always the same and in the same place. It's something good and bad, because of what I mentioned, but it enables the option of having different monsters per different sections (and also ignores the 13 mob type per level limit) and add mobs that become stronger the further you go as well.
- The uber is giantic... and this is the second good and bad aspect of the uber. Obviously my intention here was to do something different in regards of what kind of uberlevels already existed - to make something that isn't just mindless farm. To make it an actual quest. Then again, some people like it and some people don't.
- Third thing... which also happens to be something that can be good and bad: all (most) monsters are unique and exclusive from the uber... and some just look odd Razz
- The multiplayer crashes / bug are a real deal though... they shouldn't be frequent (I believe I removed a bug from demogorgons which made them crash the game) ... disconnects in multiplayer are a pain, but it's a risk for doing this type of uber (who said I balance the game around MP? HUH?)

And finally, the jungle part is weird... because making a maze with trees and having the area not be a huge mess when you also put mobs in, is pretty much impossible.

All in all, I like the uber. Because it was just a next step of "something completely new and crazy" that I have been doing in MXLU. And I feel every uber MXLU has brought is extremely unique. I also want to point out something that most people already know/have seen, that I am remaking every uberquest (and most likely every bit of content) that was done in the non-X generations of MXLU; Kabraxis, Uldyssian & MNX done, Startled Witch, Sewers, Yshari, Brachy & Athulua are next on the list, I'm probably starting with Athulua which is the one that makes me want to puke the most (and then Brachy, later witch, then sewers and finally Yshari)

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

The giant size isn't the problem, that's just fine. Problem is I rarely have enough time to sit down and play MXL for so long. So I end up killing one boss and having to quit, and then when I want to kill the second one I have to run through all of that to kill it, and then run even longer for the third one the next time etc. Doesn't add to the difficulty exactly, just the tedium.
But maybe that's just me. Smile

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aknazer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 am

@The Big Ouchy wrote:I really like the concept. I haven't attempted it since I got to meph and couldn't kill him (it was my first exposure to super regen and I was playing a caster) but it's one I wouldn't mind fiddling with again someday.

I think all of the bosses have super regen, but only Meph and Baal have multiple magic immunities. A WDM character would work really well when you do attempt it, though you won't want to get into melee range against Andarial and need a high OW and physical damage for Baal.

@MarcoNecroX wrote:hey look, some people DO like the uber Razz

It has it's pros and it cons.
- Since the uber is made of stages... the only way to make such thing is to... manually place each mob (yes, I manually placed 3000 mobs). Which means... the mobs are always the same and in the same place. It's something good and bad, because of what I mentioned, but it enables the option of having different monsters per different sections (and also ignores the 13 mob type per level limit) and add mobs that become stronger the further you go as well.
- The uber is giantic... and this is the second good and bad aspect of the uber. Obviously my intention here was to do something different in regards of what kind of uberlevels already existed - to make something that isn't just mindless farm. To make it an actual quest. Then again, some people like it and some people don't.
- Third thing... which also happens to be something that can be good and bad: all (most) monsters are unique and exclusive from the uber... and some just look odd Razz
- The multiplayer crashes / bug are a real deal though... they shouldn't be frequent (I believe I removed a bug from demogorgons which made them crash the game) ... disconnects in multiplayer are a pain, but it's a risk for doing this type of uber (who said I balance the game around MP? HUH?)

And finally, the jungle part is weird... because making a maze with trees and having the area not be a huge mess when you also put mobs in, is pretty much impossible.

All in all, I like the uber. Because it was just a next step of "something completely new and crazy" that I have been doing in MXLU. And I feel every uber MXLU has brought is extremely unique. I also want to point out something that most people already know/have seen, that I am remaking every uberquest (and most likely every bit of content) that was done in the non-X generations of MXLU; Kabraxis, Uldyssian & MNX done, Startled Witch, Sewers, Yshari, Brachy & Athulua are next on the list, I'm probably starting with Athulua which is the one that makes me want to puke the most (and then Brachy, later witch, then sewers and finally Yshari)

I can see how some of that would be an issue, mainly the length it can take to get to the final boss vs amount of time a casual can spend (takes me ~1hr to get to Valthek and then there's the fight), but you can't really please all. Maybe in the redesign just redo the jungle place (seems to be the universally disliked part) and officially add in certain walls that can be teleported through to speed up the run while still forcing you to go through most of it.

Oh and we all know that you balance around MP, it's why the Marco summon supposedly requires an MP-only item for us plebs to stand a chance Tongue Or at least that's what I've heard from these forums, since I haven't given the fight a shot yet. So Yshari is just a fluke due to bugs as opposed to you throwing us a bone.

@archon256 wrote:The giant size isn't the problem, that's just fine. Problem is I rarely have enough time to sit down and play MXL for so long. So I end up killing one boss and having to quit, and then when I want to kill the second one I have to run through all of that to kill it, and then run even longer for the third one the next time etc. Doesn't add to the difficulty exactly, just the tedium.  
But maybe that's just me. Smile

Nah, I would agree. After going to the fifth area for the fifth time (twice for parts and three times for Valthek) I found it a bit tedius. For me the biggest issue was the jungle since you just can't see what you're doing. One thing that I did like even though I know it could be viewed as borderline bug abuse, was how you can teleport through certain walls, but not all walls (and none in the final area). It felt kinda like secret areas and could speed it up a bit, but didn't allow you to just skip through everything like clod teleport or tp+teleport in places like Ureh. Though even with that it still takes awhile so I can see how it isn't exactly casual friendly if you can't just tab out and continue again later.

aknazer
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I like Yshari Sanctum.
The change of scenery within the labyrinth is a nice touch and the overall gameplay and different enemies make it fun to play through.
The chance for Great Runes to drop is just the cherry on top, you would think, but it actually helps to keep up the morale if you find one. Even if you already have several of them.

I would say that having warps to the different areas is a nice idea only if you are willing to sacrifice part of the uber's rating in the documentation.
Even though it may be frustrating having to walk the way several times, that's a fair burden considering it's rated as "very hard".

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:24 pm

It is one of the best and most innovative ubers that has been made. It is a bit discouraging after you spend the 2-3 hours to get the charm and get a crappy roll but that's all part of the game. Uldyssian and his 300 purifies is a different story and a different topic Wink I had a lot of fun figuring out this uber and beating the end boss. Great job on this one!

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pa5call on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:51 pm

I’ve always seen this place as a different game within the actual game…  Eh?  -somehow, it feels like U're playing a totally distinctive, self-sufficient version of Median and as it is such a huge level, U can easily try for days and still not get the charm –can take couple of weeks or even longer if not playing 24/7 (while beating the normal game in a day or two  Dizzy )… Anyway, if I haven’t got anything particular to do and decide to play just to kill some time, I always end up in Yshari  Smile  -don’t know why.. seems like it has got some sort of special effect on me to come back each and every time… Confident to say that I know the level by hart now, but still, I have many issues with Demon Lords every time if they leak outside the boss area into the Jungle and of course the Y-Baal  DOH! -always been just a lottery for me and stays like that to date…  Whistling Have read some posts here that make me feel like a useless noob  Crying or Very sad -quoting an hour or so to complete this uber  Shocked –well, GG and GL if it is really true..  Thinking –for me it stays the same, amazing, everlasting, special Uber-uber…  Cool

pa5call
Cathedral Drow

TGGood 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum