Documentation with mobile/responsive support

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Documentation with mobile/responsive support

Post by radgh on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:19 am

Playing some Median XL again after a few years, loving the new changes. I needed to keep tabbing out to search for recipes, etc. I loaded up the documentation on my phone, but the frame layout was terrible and the tables didn't work very well (the text was incredibly small). I had some free time today so I thought I would throw a proof of concept for a mobile-friendly layout of the documentation.

NOTE: It is not entirely finished, a few pages actually look worse - not better.

VIEW RESPONSIVE DOCUMENTATION DEMO:
http://radleygh.com/mxlu/

screenshot 1: http://i.imgur.com/DZn8KoB.png
screenshot 2: http://i.imgur.com/WplkuGd.png
source: http://radleygh.com/mxlu/mxlu_mobile.zip (you can use it yourself if you want, no permission needed)

I think this would be useful for people who do not have a second monitor. Or if you don't want to tab out. Of course this implies that you have a mobile device (which doesn't work well with the original docs, obviously).

Some other features I had planned:

1) Responsive Tables with Sticky Headers (like this)
2) Search/Filter the navigation (like this)
3) Shortcuts to different chapters within the same page

I had fun making what is finished. Just wondering if anyone else might find this useful? Of course there are a lot of additional features that can (and should) be added. I don't think it will replace the current documentation, at least until it has the featured mentioned above and no longer relies on processing every page clientside (too slow for phones/tablets).

Feedback is welcome, but I can't promise regular updates. I'm usually pretty busy, and I do actually want to play MXL as well Wink

NOTE: The responsive documentation currently uses AJAX which may not be supported by your mobile device. Similarly, the documentation will not work offline in Webkit browsers (ajax is disabled for local resources).

radgh
Returned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Documentation with mobile/responsive support

Post by usual on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 am

I usually play in windowmode or use the zoom feature on my phone.
The screenshots look really good though, cookie for your effort Very Happy

usual
Cog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 am

I hope Quirinus (the autor) has no problem with this, because it's awesome. Smile
With all the videos popping up, the existing tools, the forum and this, Median XL is set up for a massive afflux of newcomers. There's so much help and information, and this is just the next step.

No words, just really cool. Clap Clap

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I like it. I hope you continue. I too noticed that mobile version of docs is a headache. Hell half the misinformation I post ife trying to remember the information and posting from a phone. I like the way it looks a lot.

Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wulf on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Good fucking job being a badass. Free cookie.

Wulf
Landmass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 pm

amazing

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Oh I thought the one (maybe it's old) with the weird file name opened fine on my iphone and samsung phone with similar features.

Either way I probably missed something.

Kudos! Very Happy

Thanks for helping us doc-fiends out!

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:45 am

Good work and all but my question is, why would anyone even need to access the documentation on mobile? I personally only use the documentation when playing (like if I forgot a cube recipe, need to check gear options, evaluate what affixes I want to seek when crafting an item, etc).

And since I'm always on my computer when playing D2 (duh...), I don't see why I would go check the documentation on my mobile while I'm on the computer...

Maybe I'm missing something...? If someone could enlighten me on how it is useful to check the documentation on mobile, would be great Smile Btw I did not mean to complain about your work radgh, it does look good and work good, etc, I'm just wondering.

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by radgh on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 am

@whist wrote:why would anyone even need to access the documentation on mobile?

Because when you are playing full screen and you want to have a handy-dandy guide of the crafting recipe or information about the uberquest you are working on, it's nice to have it visible.

It's more of an issue when playing multiplayer and not wanting to slow down your friends.

radgh
Returned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:47 am

I love the idea. Alt tabbing while plugging and chugging gear pieces during a theorycrafting session is a pain and slows down the process a ton.

I've run into the occasional page not found error on my mobile (HTC one remix running firefox) but it's been a big help so far.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum