[Help] Multires access violation / mMap not working / plugy not loading DLLs

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Help] Multires access violation / mMap not working / plugy not loading DLLs

Post by Deadscale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Howdy.

Sorry in advance If I'm snarky, or pissed off during this post, but after trying for 4 hours to get this PoS working again, I'm kind of at my limit. I had No idea what to put as the thread title since it's an amalgamation of issues, but I digress.

I booted up Diablo 2 this morning (after playing it for around a month or 2 fine), and to my surprise every time I booted the game up, I had an Access Violation error, After rebooting and trying again, same error. I screwed around a little and finally got diablo 2 working (not even the original.exe worked) and for a small minute or so I nearly thought I'd had all my problem sorted out.... Then it started again, only this time Only when I load my character.

I figured it might be a save issue, so I removed those, same issue on new characters with no saved stash. Then I started looking at mods, and after removing everything apart from Plugy and Median. I could finally load the game.

Then I tried re-using Multires, no go (baring inmind both Multires and mMap had worked perfectly up until this point with no issue), So i decided to re-install it, didn't work. then re-install it to a different directory. Didn't work, and THEN re-install it to a different drive entierly. Didn't work...

So at this point I started trying different things, and this is what I've found out.

1)Plugy by itself works fine

2)Any attempts of using D2 Multires (Standard game without median, with median, using Plugy as a launcher, using the multires launcher) results in an access violation at the character load screen.

I then tried just using mMap with plugy to see if it has anything to do with Plugy. mMap loads using d2loader and plugins, on normal Diablo (didn't try MEdian yet). But through Plugy's dlltoload it doesn't, it crashes when it tries to reveal the act.

So after 4 hours, I've re-installed the game 3/4 times, re-done the whole process of installing multi-res / median / plugy / etc. And it consistantly crashes. To piss me off even further, I tried the exact same process on my GF's PC and it fucking works.... I seriosuly have no idea what's causing this.

One little quirk I've noticed is that the game always runs in 3dx glide no matter what I change the settings to, might be the issue. might not.

So.... Any ideas?

Just for a run down of all common fixes and installation process, so I don't get any of those suggestions.

-> I've restarded
-> I've re-installed (to multiple locations and different drives)
-> I've installed everything correctly (D2 > D2 LoD > Plugy > Median (with plugy.ini) > d2multires into d2 folder > write dlltoload=d2multires > plugy in windowed mode(though this part doesn't matter too much))
-> I've disabled all anti-virus's, I didn't change anything to diablo or my PC upon booting up this morning, nor have I installed anything or done anything to my PC (I was playing it last night before bed, literally booted it up, checked emails. went to play).
-> Completely deleted save folder.

Thanks for the help. if any.

Edit : Small tid'bit. I'm on Windows 8, I've tried all compatability modes, ran as admin, the game never used to be run in compatabiltiy mode though and runs fine, I also own both games, and use the download from the Battle.net site that's already patched at 1.12a

Last edited by Deadscale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Deadscale
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Help] Multires access violation / mMap not working / plugy not loading DLLs

Post by The Big Ouchy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Have you tried moving all of your characters out of the save folder so the game thinks the folder is totally empty? The times I had issues with multires it was always a save file issue for some reason.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Help] Multires access violation / mMap not working / plugy not loading DLLs

Post by Deadscale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Yes I have, I'll add that too my list

Deadscale
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Er.. I never used multires, and I know that the chance this is going to help is 0.1% but try:
Where is your D2 installed in? If it's program files or program files x86 move it to C/Games (or D/Games, you don't have to call it "games", just make a folder in root C or D or whatever you have)
Well I just saw you said you reinstalled it to a different directory, but still checkin'.

Also, that's even less than 0.1% helpful but, select everything in your d2 folder, right click then Properties and uncheck read only if its checked.

How did you install your PlugY? Recommended one would be to install with the installer, not with the zip.

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadscale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Any help is Atleast trying. Yeah I did state that I'd installed it in 2 different drives (c:prog. C: and d). And I use the installer. Not the zip.

I'm just out right now. But when I get back I plan to do 2 things.

1)install everything. And every step of the way test multi res. upon installing d2 and exp. then median. Then plugy. Also try plugy without median.

2)copy Gf's working version onto pen. See if that works on mine (if it does I'll be dumb struck)

Deadscale
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Ok, you should try the second thing you mentioned, copying your GF's version. Bonus points if it's the exact same mod and addons setup as yours.

But make sure to delete everything related to your D2 from control panel. A lot of people tend to do the mistake of just deleting the folder. That won't work, it still keeps a lot of shit inside the computer but you can't see it, you must delete with control panel. There's also a program that cleans all this shit that you have left in the computer after deleting. It guarantees total annihilation of the product from what I heard. Its called CCleaner. Didn't use it, but you can try.

This is also where we stumble upon a problem. Some of these "shit" that don't go away when you delete from folder, appear when you INSTALL the game, but to install you can't just copy, you must run the installer exe's, of everything. Of d2, expansion, plugy, multires, etc.
Will write something more soon if I can.

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadscale on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Well just a little update.

I've given it a break because I was that annoyed... I haven't got a pen to copy it sadly, but I did a clean install of everything on her machine and it worked fine, so it's not the method.

I uninstalled it using Control panel, didn't run CC Cleaner to fix the registries, and i'm seriosuly considering it at the moment, although installing it on 2 different drives you'd think that it wouldn't matter.

Honestly I could always Just play without multires, mMap doesn't work too, but that's not the point realistically, the fact that it worked, and I was well into the game and enjoying it just to have it go.... sigh

I'll be trying the step by step install process including trying everything a little later, and i'll use cc cleaner to remove the registry things for it.

Deadscale
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm

If it always starts with glide, even after complete reinstall, then issue is in your registry fyi. I had a similar issue and had to manually edit my registry to set my video settings to what they should be with multi and it booted fine after a few trial and errors. You'll have to look online on how to do it, as I don't remember.

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Man, you should just try D2SE. I just feel like it's clean and no worries about rolling back patches.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm

@taem wrote:If it always starts with glide, even after complete reinstall, then issue is in your registry fyi. I had a similar issue and had to manually edit my registry to set my video settings to what they should be with multi and it booted fine after a few trial and errors. You'll have to look online on how to do it, as I don't remember.
I think CCleaner cleans the crap from registry.

About d2 always running glide, that's weird. What'd happen if you select something else in the video test? But not the one that runs automatically when you install d2. You have to go to your d2 folder, find Vidtest.exe or D2vidtest.exe, and from my experience you must (i'm using windows 8 just like you) set it to run as admin and force it to run as compatibility mode winxp sp3. Same for d2se if you want to download it sometime.

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum