bandwidth usage for multiplayer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bandwidth usage for multiplayer

Post by Fumbles on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 pm

So I'm traveling on buses the next couple days that typically have wifi available but where I'm sitting doesn't seem to pick up signal with my laptop.  I have my phone which has seems to have a good internet connection and apparently a tethering feature that I was un aware of until now (my first smart phone).   My question is,
will playing mxl on TSW suck my 3gb monthly allowance? I tried google and the few ppl asking were asking about clod and apparently its not a big deal.  Im just wondering if mxl might be different than clod in terms of bandwidth usage.  I'm hoping I posted this in the right place and if not I apologize.  Also, while I'm here, where might I find out info on what exactly faster hit recovery, faster block rate and uninterruptable attack are and how they may relate to chance to block?  I'm using a trap rat druid and currently use rainbow fury bone shield and black razor kriss.  I can post more info if necessary but I'm not sure what is relevant.  Thanks in advance and to everyone involved in keeping this game fresh.

Last edited by Fumbles on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : words)

Fumbles
Mangler

TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: bandwidth usage for multiplayer

Post by Quirinus on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:47 pm

1. mxl maybe uses a bit more bandwith than clod, but 3gb should be more than enough, especially if you're only using it for a few days. I'd be more worried about the ping, but that shouldn't be too bad either, depending on the mobile coverage.

2. faster hit recovery, etc. this thread might help some with it:
http://www.medianxl.com/t1115-mxlu-faq-mechanics-guide

this provides general good info/approach on defense:
http://www.medianxl.com/t3012-the-many-faces-of-defense

with this you can calculate the stuff I explain below:
http://www.medianxl.com/t5893-speed-mechanics-explained-updated-speedcalc

basically, every time you lose like 1/12th of your life in a frame (1 frame = 1/25 sec), you get put into a "recovery" animation, during which you can't do anything. faster hit recovery (FHR) helps reduce that duration. now, since D2 operates on frames (25 in a sec), the duration of the recovery animation is in frames, so you have to have enough FHR to reduce the frame count.

basically, let's say the FHR frame breakpoints are like this
FHR % :::: Duration (frames)
0% :::: 9
50% :::: 8
120% :::: 7
200% :::: 6

so if you for example have 160% FHR, to reduce the duration for 1 frame (from 7 to 6), you'd need 40% more FHR.

each character/morph has different numbers and animation durations. you can use the speedcalc to see the breakpoints for each one by picking the class and entering your item FHR and skill FHR. if it says it's -53% (that is, a negative number), that means you're already over that breakpoint.

faster block rate works the same. once you block, the blocking animation kicks in, and you can't block (or attack as well, I think) until it's over. so increasing FBR to get to lower frame breakpoints will allow you to block more attacks and probably attack more.

uninteruptable attack. if you start an attack, monsters can interrupt it (putting you in hit recovery, or block animation or something, I'm not sure). if you have 100% uninteruptible, they can't do this while the attack animation is going on. so all your started attacks will finish. they can do shit to you only between your attacks.

you can find a lot of the relevant mechanics info here:
http://wiki.theamazonbasin.com/index.php/Diablo_II

this is mostly for cLoD though, there's some differences in MXL, but the basic mechanics are usually the same.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fumbles on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks for the help Quirinus, this helped put things into perspective. I went to download java runtime for the speed calc and it didn't show my os as being compatible. Is there another way to figure it out?

Fumbles
Mangler

TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 am

well, a good start would be if you wrote what OS you have. ;P

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fumbles on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Win xp

Fumbles
Mangler

TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:04 am

hmmm uninstall the JRE you have now and try this:
http://www.filehorse.com/download-java-runtime-32/17560/download/

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Basha on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:44 am

@Fumbles wrote:So I'm traveling on buses the next couple days that typically have wifi available but where I'm sitting doesn't seem to pick up signal with my laptop.  I have my phone which has seems to have a good internet connection and apparently a tethering feature that I was un aware of until now (my first smart phone).   My question is,
will playing mxl on TSW suck my 3gb monthly allowance? I tried google and the few ppl asking were asking about clod and apparently its not a big deal.  Im just wondering if mxl might be different than clod in terms of bandwidth usage.

Sorry for the (quite) late reply, but I use this nifty tool known as Networx to calculate how much bandwidth I consume monthly, since the bandwidth is limited here in Canada. It has a tab which shows you every application that uses bandwidth with the amount received/sent. Hope it helps!

Basha
Living Flame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiamet on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 am

windows 8 will show it in options Wink

Tiamet
Doom Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top