Why use Hamachi? You could be using Evolve!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why use Hamachi? You could be using Evolve!

Post by Espionage724 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:22 pm

https://www.evolvehq.com

I see Hamachi mentioned by some people, but I'd like to introduce a possibly better alternative; Evolve.

Evolve is a gaming client (kind of like Xfire, Raptr, or Steam; much better than the first two imo and a good companion with Steam), but it differs from most (if not all) similar clients by having built-in VPN support (Evolve calls it their "Party System" and also matchmaking. It's also free to use.

If I recall right, the player limit in a Evolve party is 255. The limit for free usage of Hamachi is 5. Max number of players in a Diablo II game is 8.

Also Evolve hosts gaming-related events from time to time. This was a good while ago, but Evolve did host a Diablo II event right before Diablo III launched; it was just a contest to see who could play the longest, and I won :p

Evolve also has a cool feature to record gameplay, take screenshots, and broadcast gameplay to Twitch. It does this from it's in-game overlay. Said overlay also supports Diablo II (when using a Glide-to-modern-API wrapper; like nGlide or dgVoodoo). These are also a free-to-use features. You can also easily upload to social media too if you link your accounts.

Another nice feature is the profiles. Without getting too much in-depth with it, here's a link to my profile.

You also get a dynamic signature; here's what it looks like:

And just to explain the Party System (VPN) a bit more; it's relatively easy to use. Say I just met "Joe" and after becoming friends, we wanted to play some Diablo II together. I would add Joe to my Evolve friend's list (or vice-versa; when you add someone, they get a notification to accept or decline it), and then right-click his name from the friend's list and create a Party. Me and Joe are now in a Party together, and both have IP addresses shown. From there, we just fire up Diablo II, one of us hosts a game, the other joins it, and then we go off and kill stuff.

And as for some more Party System features, you also get access to both voice and text chat (both free features). No need to go fire up Skype or some other program strictly for chat; Evolve has you covered. The Party System also gives native LAN IP addresses; so programs and games that intentionally block VPN programs by restricting certain IP ranges aren't an issue. Also, connections between users in a Party are direct.

In the event a direct connection can't be established (such as connecting from restricted network places like schools, public access points, etc), the person who can't directly connect to others will pass through a relay server (which exists in Texas if I recall right). Evolve tries opening a port via UPnP/NAT for direct connection. You also have an option to force a specific port (this single port however is all you need to connect with games; no need to worry about other game-related ports). Evolve by-default also blocks out file-sharing-related ports too, so you don't have to worry about random people being able to access your network shares and stuff (but should you want people to access such things, you can also easily toggle the block via a checkbox in options).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Last edited by Espionage724 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added more information about the Party System)

Espionage724
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why use Hamachi? You could be using Evolve!

Post by Quirinus on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for an alternative to Hamachi for a while.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by powtek on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 am

You can also try Tunngle. There is a room there for Median XL.

powtek
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Yep, I have been using Tunngle and have enjoyed it so far. If there's a side-by-side comparison of Evolve to Tunngle, maybe we can figure out which is "better" and go from there.

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:53 pm

@Borgin wrote:Yep, I have been using Tunngle and have enjoyed it so far. If there's a side-by-side comparison of Evolve to Tunngle, maybe we can figure out which is "better" and go from there.
I use Tunggle to play HoMM3 with friends... Its excellent compared to hamachi.

Wotan
Madawc

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 pm

MovingHoping an admin moves this to thread where it will be seen more and belongs Very Happy

"The Madhouse"

Thanks for the tips guys!

ED: can someone explain tunngle from a median users perspective? THX!

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum