MTG thread (Magic the Gathering)

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MTG thread (Magic the Gathering)

Post by The Big Ouchy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:31 am

You sure you don't have a dingy old black lotus sitting around somewhere you wouldn't mind mailing to me? I'll give ya 10 bucks for it. Very Happy
The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:51 am

The Big Ouchy wrote:You sure you don't have a dingy old black lotus sitting around somewhere you wouldn't mind mailing to me? I'll give ya 10 bucks for it. Very Happy

Lol, just saw this. Oh The Black Lotus. If I had a nickel for every kid who came into the shop(I ran a game shop back then) with a bad counterfeit B.L. I would have a lot of nickels.
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:04 am

hehe. I want a mox diamond plzzzz

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:49 pm

I refuse to pay 100$ for a single card or 500$ in N boosters to build a deck.

There is always freewater MTG to play.

Archangel
Thunder Beetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Will wrote:hehe. I want a mox diamond plzzzz
I have 6 FTV Diamonds and 8 Stronghold ones.

But I assume you mean Mox Pearl.

As far as my mtg obsession goes, I currently have about 40,000 cards which is <10% of my "old" collection. Managed to get rid of my bulk stuff and I'm left with nothing but goodies. Been playing since 5th edition was brand new and you could still buy packs of Revised but they were 2.38 a piece and who has that kind of money. So I bought Ice Age for 1.80 a pack, I bought Unglued when it came out because lulz, I bought Onslaught because goblins.

Now I pay rent with selling cards so it's k.

I play a lot of standard, mostly because that's what the shops around here support the most, but I have a few mean modern decks (Delver, BWR Burn, Robots, could make almost anything else but I only have 2 Tarmogoyfs so I generally have to avoid playing green, lol). Used to play Legacy but dual lands are just so much that I can't justify keeping them anymore and am slowly selling them off. I also have a huge "pimp" collection consisting mostly of foils, but a large number of textless and a few well-done alters as well. Used to have a cube put together but my roommate has his own now so I'm constructing a "Commander cube", which will be really bizarre. Speaking of which, 3 of us in our apartment play mtg so we play Commander every so often, it's usually fun but it can get so degenerate that we can typically only play one game at a time before we need a week or two break.

Tip: don't ever buy boosters if you need to build a deck, just go online and buy the singles you need for infinitely cheaper. Cards used to be pretty cheap because of eBay, but now because every card shop has an online store, you can get decent, playable rares for 20 cents some places, and tournament staples that would've cost 50 bucks ten years ago only cost 10 now thanks to competition.

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:13 am

I thought I did mean pearl and was gonna change that (is diamond the odd mox which sacs self for mana?). 

either way if you are selling cards let me know. I buy collections from time to time when finances allow and maybe can put X-mas funds toward it.

Esp if it helps a fellow player pay rent

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Ouchy on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:07 am

Borgin wrote:

Tip: don't ever buy boosters if you need to build a deck, just go online and buy the singles you need for infinitely cheaper. Cards used to be pretty cheap because of eBay, but now because every card shop has an online store, you can get decent, playable rares for 20 cents some places, and tournament staples that would've cost 50 bucks ten years ago only cost 10 now thanks to competition.

Do you recommend any websites specifically? I usually get my stuff from tcgplayer but I'd love to know if there's any cheaper options.
The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:39 am

Ah, the good old days.

I remember going to a gaming retailers convention when MTG was being rolled out. We were like, "Eh, ok. Lets give it a shot."

Little did we know that Wizards of the Coast was practically giving us a machine that printed money.

There was a shop, owned by Doug Kircher(SP)--who would later go to work for WotC, called The Raven's Loft. By the time Legends came out, Doug was paying his entire overhead--including payroll-just from the sale of MtG cards. Everything else, including his considerable pull-comic sales, was pure profit.
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Will wrote:I thought I did mean pearl and was gonna change that (is diamond the odd mox which sacs self for mana?). 

either way if you are selling cards let me know. I buy collections from time to time when finances allow and maybe can put X-mas funds toward it.

Esp if it helps a fellow player pay rent
If you have about fifteen thousand dollars I'd be happy to sell my collection. It's insured at 25,000 so that's giving you a big discount! Wink

But really, my cards probably aren't going anywhere. I've been playing for too long and am too invested in the game to just let them go, even if it did mean I could buy a brand new car and pay rent for the year. But I guess that's part of being serious about a hobby, lol.

I'll have to upload a few pics of my collection. Not like I have Lotuses or any other P9 but I think it's still pretty insane stuff imo.

The Big Ouchy wrote:
Borgin wrote:

Do you recommend any websites specifically? I usually get my stuff from tcgplayer but I'd love to know if there's any cheaper options.
TCGPlayer is definitely the best. I've occasionally purchased sealed product from random sites, my favorite being coolstuffinc.com as they have a few perks for purchasing stuff. Used to use mtgfanatic back when I was in middle/high school but it looks like their prices have gone up significantly and I haven't bothered to even check their website in at least two or three years now.

I recommend buying your sealed product from your LGS, though, to support small businesses and to make sure you have a place to play FNM. But singles tend to be overpriced in any brick-and-mortar LGS which is why I just buy my decks online.

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Will on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:52 pm

@TheBigOuchy Hey buddy!
Also consider ABU or other cheaper sites with LOYALTY discounts for mass purchases.

2- most local shops have great promotions (at least those nearby me). Especially to build customer bases

@borgin, I'd consider even 15k. You'd have to have to name some of the money cards, and hopefully you store on one of many databases. So give it a thought. Or maybe I could buy partial collection?

Borgin wrote:If you have about fifteen thousand dollars I'd be happy to sell my collection. It's insured at 25,000 so that's giving you a big discount! Wink

For emphasis I repeat, if you can prove collection worth at least 15k (ideally more bc its a bulk buy) I'm game. not a hoax. I've traded with a few folks on server. Heck marco can vouch for his cool new purchase....

Will
Talic

TGBest Transferred

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum