Best guitar/keyboard solos you've ever heard

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best guitar/keyboard solos you've ever heard

Post by Azathoth on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Everyone loves a good guitar solo, some people love a good keyboard solo too, and seeing that there are a lot of metalheads here, I thought I'd make this topic.

Here's my first entry, Steve Hackett from Genesis. Not particularity fast or anything, but splendid solo, he is obviously a virtuoso guitar player:

I'll post more if y'all are interested in this.

Last edited by Azathoth on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Azathoth
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best guitar/keyboard solos you've ever heard

Post by Gekko64 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Solo starts at 2:23

Gekko64
Hopeless

Twinktwat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:52 pm

I am trying to think of a killer one that no one else here will post.

Looking through some lists for inspiration, it always amazes me how many people think that guitar playing is some kind of dick measuring contest. To quote the amazing Derek Trucks, "Music is emotion conveyed through sound and it should always be about the music. I'm not going to go see someone play just because they are 'good'."

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Don't know if they are the "best" (whatever that means) but here are two bad ass solos. One played by a chick so sexy it hurts.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TQer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:12 am

I´m not a great fan of the Finnish band "Children of Bodom" and I don´t like keyboards much either, but those who like the keyboard+guitar duets  I guess they might find it interesting because both of them, Janne Wirman (keys) and Alexi Laiho (lead guitars) are very talented musicians:

(The solo starts at 2:44 more or less and goes until the end)

Last edited by TQer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total

TQer
Son of Lucion

Forum Human Rights Activist/TQ Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 am

We used to listen to CoB up until Hate crew deathroll. I even bought that blue CD and longsleeve t-shirt which appeared one size too small Mr Green Later they become Children of boredom Smile

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azathoth on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

@Grimjerk: "Best" means the ones you liked most. Anyway, great example you gave, reminds me of this a bit:

Nothing compares to Etta James, of course, but nonetheless, great cover and the guitar improv is fantastic.

On a totally different note, this is at the top of the list when it comes to extreme metal. Great song as a whole too.
Starts at 3:15 and resumes at 4:54.

Azathoth
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TQer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

And being a thread about Keyboard+Guitar these two guys should be here too I guess; Yngwie Malmsteen and Jens Johansson:

@Metalistas:

@Metalistas wrote:We used to listen to CoB up until Hate crew deathroll. I even bought that blue CD and longsleeve t-shirt which appeared one size too small Mr Green Later they become Children of boredom Smile

Ha,ha: yeah....well in my personal case they have been Children of Boredom since their beggining, but that could be just me. On the other hand I must recognize that Alexi is a really good guitarist (amazing how many talented musicians comes from the scandinavian countries, so I guess that there, a lot of resources are spent in music education).

And by the way: epic "keyboard" solo on that awesome testament song Mr Green . That is how I like the keyboards to be played!!!!!!

To include something on the pure guitar part of the thread, this is one of my most favourite guitar players: Mr. Chuck Schuldiner (RIP). Really hard to choose just one solo of him, as all of them IMO are epic. What about the one on Killing Spree?:

TQer
Son of Lucion

Forum Human Rights Activist/TQ Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azathoth on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 am

Yeah, Chuck was amazing, and that song is a great example!
My personal favourite is the one on Perennial Quest(starts at 3:20), such a great outro also:

Azathoth
Hivehost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gekko64 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Metalistas I'll have to cookie you asap... I actually have that album original, what a masterpiece Smile

also true TQer children of bodom are insane, their title track is so good even people who dislike metal will admit it's great Very Happy

Gekko64
Hopeless

Twinktwat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum