Just some ideas and thoughts about median XL

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just some ideas and thoughts about median XL

Post by zala2142 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 am

Median XL Ultimative is a nice mod on Diablo 2, however, IMO there are still some down sides. Of course there are a lot of good things too !

Speaking of good things, I guess those uber charms are pretty good ideas, although not all of them are useful LOL. I guess these ideas come from the hellfire torch right? It is basically the same. Like seriously, some of them are really not a good charm by itself (this is only because these are all unique charms, thus cannot stack, a lot of those 'stacking status' are pretty useless. Just like maybe you have 10 Visions of Akarat is fuxking OP, but only one is just better than none). IMO, these uber charms should have uber power. I am not saying just buffing them, but I am saying we must give them unique power. For example, procs, status that base on your level, etc, etc. Some of them should be focus on offence, some of them should focus on defence. Or maybe some of them are completely game changing! (Rathma's Supremacy is one of the prime example) IMO, a uber charm should not just give you some 'better than none' status but focus more on UNIQUE EFFECTS, otherwise WTF is the point to get it if it doesn't make a noticeable difference right?!

What should they be? I guess, it will be AWESOME if we can COSPLAY BOSS SKILLS (YEAH!). Of course for those pretty easy (I am saying Brother Laz is HARD, MNX is HARD, others are still beatable.) ones like the butcher, have two separated parts of charms (different from trophy), especially for those ubers without trophy. If you ask me to add something to butcher, I will do as follow:

butcher's tooth - I am not going to change it, it is a prime example of good charm.
Butcher's cleaver (2% chance drop) - 50% Open wounds, 5 to all attributes
If we cube Butcher's tooth and cleaver together, we can get this charm
Butcher's Bloodlust
100% Open Wounds
15 to all Attributes
100% Extra Gold from Monsters
40% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30 Life and Mana after each Kill
Oskill - FRESH MEAT! : unleash a fan of hooks to penetrate a cone in front of you, damaging the enemies struck and healing you base on targets hit. Physical damage.

When we meet Butcher, THAT ‘FRESH MEAT' is almost the signature of him right? Why not giving something like this to his charm?

Another example, MarcoNecroX's Soulkeeper
If I am going to add something, I will add the following Oskill
NecroBolts: This is the same as MarcoNecroX's attacks, of course it is a weaker version Smile

I guess a lot of people want this in order to be as AWESOME as MarcoNecroX right? (That boss's attacks are really awesome IMO.)

And sometimes I really think that some of the uber quests are a little bit too hardcore. Believe it or not, a lot of casual players will step away from Median XL due to they cannot enjoy the full gameplay of this mode. Sometimes I really think that 'OMG MarcoNecroX is an IMPOSSIBLE BOSS FOR HUMAN PLAYERS' (although I finally kill him in XV.......... Teleport when struck is just epic, although I am almost blind and dizzy lel) (More: Trollface? It is like TROLLING MY FACE, it's real mate.)

Brother Laz........ maybe I will give him a try when I got a 120 amazon or assassin... but not a fuxking paladin.....
And THAT FUXKING Uldyssian quest is BULLSHIT, purify for one fuxking hour!? You better kill me man! Not to mention it is really, really lag in that quest and I cannot fuxking see my character. Please change it Marco?

And global cooldown in Diablo 2 really sucks, something like the scared armour from paladin, I NEVER USE IT UNLESS IN THE FUXKING ULDYSSIAN (you again) quest (that 360 degree death ray....). I guess it is better to remove those spell timers and rework those skills. if there is a spell timer, I guess it is better not over 3 seconds in order to keep up with Diablo 2's fast gameplay. 3s spell timer is already very long in Diablo 2. Scared Armour I guess it is better to be just a proc or a low charge (2 to 3 times) skill rather than a 30s spell timer skill. (Just imagine that when you use scared armor, you cannot use purify, blink, bla bla bla, then what's the point of using that? Easy boss no one needs scared armour, hard boss? You need to use purify so cannot use scared armour, FML)

And, purify is one of the worst spell in this game, is this skill a little bit too hard to hit due to the slow missile speed and narrow hit box? I guess it is better to change it a little bit. I guess maybe lower it's spell timer is nice. And one off topic question, why we can apply open wounds if we hit purity on bosses like Assur and Laz? Can anyone explain?

No matter what, Median XL is a fun mod of Diablo 2. However, in some situation I think it is too far away from casual players. I hope Marco can think about this before rising the difficulty of the game.

Have fun guys.

zala2142
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Just some ideas and thoughts about median XL

Post by archon256 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:14 am

The problem is doing Butcher over and over again until a 2% chance charm drops (so that's quite possibly 50+ kills) isn't something that would be fun for a lot of players. And because the charm reward is so strong you're going to want to get it anyway, even though the process of getting it is just long and boring.

Trophies are fine because even though they have low drop rates, they don't give huge benefits. So if you aren't interested (or are unable to) farm a particular boss for the trophy you don't feel bad about losing big benefits.

If you want to give players a powerful reward the best way to do it is to give them a difficult encounter that they have to beat, but only requires one successful kill. For example if I really wanted to make a harder Butcher-themed uber, I'd make it so that killing the Butcher opens a red portal that leads you to a jail-themed area on the same map, where there's a harder version of the Butcher who chases you around, cannot be slowed, stunned or knocked back, does AoE damage on attack, heals on kill and teleports when he takes damage. Oh and the area is filled with totems that shield him, so you need to run away from the Butcher and kill all of the totems before you can kill him. Or something.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealthmaster on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:19 am

Hello! Thanks for your opinions but there are some points which you've missed.

@zala2142 wrote:Butcher's cleaver (2% chance drop) - 50% Open wounds, 5 to all attributes

SSSU Ono is called The Butcher's Cleaver. So we already have this 'well-known Butcher's feature' as an item.

@zala2142 wrote:Butcher's Bloodlust - 100% Open Wounds

Great idea. Now Ripstar ring and tons of specific unique items which are intended to give another 50% OW are useless. Sad

@zala2142 wrote:a lot of casual players will step away from Median XL due to they cannot enjoy the full gameplay of this mode.

Step away to what? To the cLoD or maybe to the mod where things like 'The Almighty One Ring' drops from the first cockroach in Blood Moor? Razz

@zala2142 wrote:I guess it is better to remove those spell timers and rework those skills.

In previous patches there used to be cheesing Adrenaline Elixirs which removed spell timers. You've probably missed that point. Smile

Stealthmaster
Infernal Machine

Master of Stealth!
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zala2142 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:21 am

maybe let it work this way. Some of the boss have a high chance to drop an item, which you can cube it with tomb of town portal to open a portal to enter a secret area and face the enhanced version Boss, this Boss will drop the second part of charm to let you cube with the original one to complete a full charm.

Thoughts?

zala2142
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealthmaster on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 am

Thoughts?

This thread about charms drop system is useful to look thru. It has similar issues you're thinking about.

Stealthmaster
Infernal Machine

Master of Stealth!
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zala2142 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:33 am

To Stealthmaster,

I mean, having a challenge is a good thing, some of the bosses are really too hard, which is not necessary. And it is just an idea, everything can change right? I just want to give out the idea of 'separating a charm into two piece, one is ez, another one is harder'. The status are not important here.

Step away? Just play other games LOL. It is not about step away to what, it is about play or not playing this game. I guess Marco and Laz want a lot of people enjoying their mod right? IMO, a successful game or mod should be open to both casual and hardcore players mate Smile.

Remove/lower those spell timers, of course we need to rework those skills!

BTW, I forgot to mention that I guess that summoning quest boss should disappear if the player is dead. I don't think that Kamikaze attacks should be the way to do those ubers, especially Brother Laz......

zala2142
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zala2142 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:40 am

@Stealthmaster wrote:
Thoughts?

This thread about charms drop system is useful to look thru. It has similar issues you're thinking about.

Marco's idea is really good there although I cannot vote lel.

I guess it is better for new players too.

But for real, some of the charms are pretty useless tho, this is still a problem.

Anyway, I just CANNOT DO BROTHER LAZ UBER. Maybe my character is not suitable for this uber lel.

zala2142
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealthmaster on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:56 am

@zala2142 wrote:It is not about step away to what, it is about play or not playing this game. I guess Marco and Laz want a lot of people enjoying their mod right? IMO, a successful game or mod should be open to both casual and hardcore players mate Smile.

Hard to say. Median 2008 was extremely difficult at the beginning, but with some OP gear kinda boring endgame. Regular versions (before 2012 version) were fun to play because almost everyone could do ANY uber. Things like Liche Form, timerless Fortress, adrenaline potions, free extra skills from some charms (Azmodan, Tal Rasha, King Koth), Brother Laz killable in 4 purify hits... need I say how exploitable those features were? Smile Ultimative, imo, has separated the mod in two parts: before lvl 120 and after lvl 120. You have a nice regular game with minigames, level challenges and a freeplay where you can farm gear, do uberquests, kill bosses for trophies etc. I thinks it is right now open both to casual and veteran players as never before.

Stealthmaster
Infernal Machine

Master of Stealth!
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zala2142 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:19 am

Maybe Macro can do this in a deeper way. Maybe separate Brother Laz into Easy Laz and Nightmare Laz LOL.

Sometimes maybe I understand why those charms are quite useless. BECAUSE YOU DON'T FUXKING NEED THEM TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Sometimes, just IMO, I think it is worthless to make those uber quest so uber hard LOL.

(I suddenly feel that the original uber quest in original LOD is god damn easy...)

zala2142
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

MedianXL in general was always too 'hardcore' for me. MXLU even more so. I'm not a casual gamer (based on how much time I spend playing games) by any stretch, but I don't want to spend all my time farming in a single game. So I just level various builds, get some easy and medium uber charms, and then go play something else Razz

But that doesn't mean I want the game to be made easier. If there are long-term goals for people to pursue in the end that's healthier for the game. If I had to request anything about ubers it would be to add more ubers that can be completed by characters who have just entered the late-game and aren't particularly time-intensive. Harder than K3kBA but easier than Duncraig, or something. The difficult ones don't need nerfing.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum