Building a monster - Theory craft

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Building a monster - Theory craft

Post by ControlledAnger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:16 am

So the topic of theory will be building a character that can do all ubers as well as farm quickly and efficiently, and has limitless funds/access to anything needed for gear.

The sole purpose of this topic will be to just theory craft up a really solid build in XVc version with any gear you can dream up on any character.

I mainly wanted to do this little project with the help of veterans who know more than myself.

So lets begin shall we?

1- The character
2- The spec (remember ANY cotw's
3- The gear (again, consider cotw's)

Lets start with 1, but putting into consideration the influence 3 has on this choice.

ControlledAnger
Steelfur Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Building a monster - Theory craft

Post by suchbalance on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

1. The most versatile characters are those which excel in both the heroic shield ubers and the purify ubers.

Top3 are assassin, paladin & sorc IMO. Of those three, probably the paladin is the best at heroic shields and the assassin is best at purify bosses, whereas sorc is slightly worse than pala for heroic shields and the weakest at purifies but is the fastest startup.

Note that there are always exceptions to this "rule". For example even tho Kabraxis has a heroic shield none of the above
are the best farmers but rather a bowzon (which can do him in t6 with no spec changes etc). There are too many of those to list and I have not played all builds myself,
but the top 3 with the right knowledge and practice can clear all for sure.

2. Spec depends on uber in question - you often have to respec for harder ubers.

For example any elemental sorceress tree with the right crafts and gear can own heroic shields (altho lightning is most popular) but for
purify you only have her melee spec. As an example fire/cold build you can look up Marco's tanya guide,
which gives tips on almost all ubers too.

Paladin - unholy caster (easier) or unholy melee (slightly trickier) standard builds can do everything.

Assassin - not an expert here as I've never liked them but you can check out BasstoMouth's kickstarter
assassin guide for a step by step tutorial on all heroic bosses. For the purifies it doesn't really matter what
skill you use as long as you smax perfect being, ways(for adds) & blink and have the right equips.

3. For all heroic shield bosses you are looking to have a strong elemental spell (not poison) with -199% enemy resist and as much spell damage as you can fit on your gear to support it. To that extent the best gear with the most damage will be shrine crafted where every piece has + X element spell damage & - X element enemy resist.

Gear for the rest varies a lot as they all have their peculiarities. For laz look up Marco's guide and adapt to your character, for the rest take a look at Korcola's guide; to kill these bosses the most important thing is to have the right setup and then practice a lot especially if you want to solo them.

Witch and sewers special are standard purify bosses now (think Assur but with more hp and nastier abilities); MnX secret boss is basically Bartuc with a heroic shield and deadlier spells. Yshari is easy to do with a caster (like uh pally) but requires a non-elemental damage source to kill mephisto so you have to improvise a bit, the rest is easy. Triune is all about practice. I killed that guy 10+ times this reset to get a +5 pally skiller and it still takes me at least 15-20mins. Best tip here is to use a piece of gear with charm and not rely on the book's variable timing (I used circlet rw).Those threads also contain gear suggestions.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ControlledAnger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:30 pm

@suchbalance wrote:1. The most versatile characters are those which excel in both the heroic shield ubers and the purify ubers.

Top3 are assassin, paladin & sorc IMO. Of those three, probably the paladin is the best at heroic shields and the assassin is best at purify bosses, whereas sorc is slightly worse than pala for heroic shields and the weakest at purifies but is the fastest startup.

Note that there are always exceptions to this "rule". For example even tho Kabraxis has a heroic shield none of the above
are the best farmers but rather a bowzon (which can do him in t6 with no spec changes etc). There are too many of those to list and I have not played all builds myself,
but the top 3 with the right knowledge and practice can clear all for sure.

2. Spec depends on uber in question - you often have to respec for harder ubers.

For example any elemental sorceress tree with the right crafts and gear can own heroic shields (altho lightning is most popular) but for
purify you only have her melee spec. As an example fire/cold build you can look up Marco's tanya guide,
which gives tips on almost all ubers too.

Paladin - unholy caster (easier) or unholy melee (slightly trickier) standard builds can do everything.

Assassin - not an expert here as I've never liked them but you can check out BasstoMouth's kickstarter
assassin guide for a step by step tutorial on all heroic bosses. For the purifies it doesn't really matter what
skill you use as long as you smax perfect being, ways(for adds) & blink and have the right equips.

3. For all heroic shield bosses you are looking to have a strong elemental spell (not poison) with -199% enemy resist and as much spell damage as you can fit on your gear to support it. To that extent the best gear with the most damage will be shrine crafted where every piece has + X element spell damage & - X element enemy resist.

Gear for the rest varies a lot as they all have their peculiarities. For laz look up Marco's guide and adapt to your character, for the rest take a look at Korcola's guide; to kill these bosses the most important thing is to have the right setup and then practice a lot especially if you want to solo them.

Witch and sewers special are standard purify bosses now (think Assur but with more hp and nastier abilities); MnX secret boss is basically Bartuc with a heroic shield and deadlier  spells. Yshari is easy to do with a caster (like uh pally) but requires a non-elemental damage source to kill mephisto so you have to improvise a bit, the rest is easy. Triune is all about practice. I killed that guy 10+ times this reset to get a +5 pally skiller and it still takes me at least 15-20mins. Best tip here is to use a piece of gear with charm and not rely on the book's variable timing (I used circlet rw).Those threads also contain gear suggestions.

Thanks for the reply. Yea i understand the basics and have actually played all of the character builds you listed except unholy caster and unholy melee (just played holy melee) paladin.

I definitely had ups and downs on certain ubers with sorc but the spec changing wasn't as frequent (not that that's an issue here).

I should have mentioned in the first post the ultimate goal of this character would be to farm on P8 in any zone (even though p8 =p7 in terms of drop rate, the difficulty is whats at hand). Obviously minus some of the ubers where Plvl doesn't really make harder as much as it just takes more time. This may or may not make sense to some, but the reasoning it solely to build a character that push through the game at its highest difficulty efficiently.

That being said, this character needs a strong base for survivability, not just avoid or block since these abilities give you sort of fake life, though work the best in p1 when coupled with good regen/laek/loh/offensive setups with lower life.

But moving on we have it narrowed down a bit unless anyone else wants to object, though this is the 3 I also had on top (80% because of versatility with all content)

I also made spec plural for obvious reasons. However the idea here will be to have the main spec (what you use to farm most areas with and complete most ubers) and the sub specs that you would change to for specific ubers, which I will list.

1. The class = Assassin, Paladin, Sorc
2. The spec(s) = N/a
3. The gear = N/a

ControlledAnger
Steelfur Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Easy Assassin - 66% Avoid, Faerie Fire cotw - 20% Avoid and Crane Stance cotw for additional 10% Avoid, now add Natasha Armor ( or any 10% avoid naginata) and you got 100% avoid

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ControlledAnger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm

@RollsRoyce wrote:Easy Assassin - 66% Avoid, Faerie Fire cotw - 20% Avoid and Crane Stance cotw for additional 10% Avoid, now add Natasha Armor ( or any 10% avoid naginata) and you got 100% avoid

I was waiting for someone to mention this rofl. I wasn't sure if anyone even knew this was possible because i couldn't find but one post on it. There is actually another way too.

Only very few things can pierce 100% avoid in the game, making you pretty much invulnerable.
That being said, lets keep a 100% avoid character off the list Wink

ControlledAnger
Steelfur Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Mate you are playing SP with an item pack and premade characters. You are trying to do characters that farm
p8 uberlevels to keep it interesting ...

Not my place to tell you how to play the game but no point in starting a discussion over something so pointless
to 99% of forum population.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ADL on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Do you really think with much avoid, assassin can survive beter ? Look at hc (hard core) leader, no assassin ever reach lvl 120 in hc (when i write this). If you like assassin, you should make 1 in hc and become the first lvl 120 assassin there.

I get 100% avoid in sp, then say "ho ho ho merry x-mas" to startlet witch, she also have 100% chance to always hug me <3 LoL. Peace to all. Sorry for my bad english.

ADL
Bone Sorcerer

TGGood None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ControlledAnger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:59 pm

@suchbalance wrote:Mate you are playing SP with an item pack and premade characters. You are trying to do characters that farm

Not my place to tell you how to play the game but no point in starting a discussion over something so pointless

I don't any pre-made characters... and the only item pack i have is a crafting box with normal crafting items and nothing else.

I have 14 characters atm (2 of each class), 7 of which are 100% for testing (for when I decide to go to realm, to know the possibilities and what to spend funds on end game wise), and the other 8 are 100% legit, without any use of ANY thing outside what I have found on that class. Knowing all the mechanics of the game is something that will help you learn and can be used in the future for many useful things.

The sole purpose of this thread is to theory craft for fun, as the title states. If the thread doesn't interest you, you don't have to post in or nor do you have to read it.

ControlledAnger
Steelfur Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 pm

ok ill give my opinion:

i will differ between:

1) tankable ubers
2) untankable ubers
3) heroic bosses
4) purify bosses

towards 1):

best tanks in the game are without any doubt barbs and paladins ( maybe even Treewarden)

2)untankable ubers what counts here is mostly agility to avoid the 1 hit kos and killspeed

again barb has access to wolf stance //paladin has access to rapture anf assasin can use shadow refuge. A Pointless discussion if you take Adrenaline rush into account Smile

+ for all classes

3) Heroic Bosses:

If they have Blink when dmged spells seem to be the better choice (T-Stone, Mindflay, Avalanche ...) if not skills like wychwind or broadside ( or Ancients Hand + kraken) can compete -

a) with blink:

Unholy caster; Sorc; Bombsin;Ele druid, Avalanche Nec; Even Caster Barb;

no zon though Smile

b) no blink:

pretty much the same + some wdm builds

4) Heroics:

Heroics usually are barely tankable so what counts is a fast attack speed, high attack rating and very good agility(rw speed + attack speed). While tu6 hard leather armor can usually keep ow active you still need to be very fast and got a decent AR.

i think dins and sins will take first place here, also melee sorc with chronofield is a nice choice.

So in total there are probably 3 Characters that compete for the award to beat all ubers easiest and those are: paladin -> assassin and barbarian/sorc

whats funny and seems well balanced is that zons are probably the best farming characters Smile

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cowking on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm

@ControlledAnger wrote:
@suchbalance wrote:Mate you are playing SP with an item pack and premade characters. You are trying to do characters that farm

I don't any pre-made characters... and the only item pack i have is a crafting box with normal crafting items and nothing else.

I have 14 characters atm (2 of each class), 7 of which are 100% for testing (for when I decide to go to realm, to know the possibilities and what to spend funds on end game wise), and the other 8 are 100% legit, without any use of ANY thing outside what I have found on that class. Knowing all the mechanics of the game is something that will help you learn and can be used in the future for many useful things.

This coming from a person who

A.) doesn't know that -res doesn't reduce physical resistance.

B.) killed MNX before that.

C.) downloaded an item pack with double MO rings and jewels without knowing it's not possible to double MO rings and jewels (AND killed MNX before that).

D.) doesn't understand the difference between spell damage and WDM (AND killed MNX before that).

E.) is wondering what is the ultimate crafted jewel to dupe for his sorc.

F.) doesn't know how to double MO weapons (while having killed MNX before that).

G.) is wondering how many cotws are there in SP, then 'finds' 4 of them in 2 days.

Just learn to play the game (legit), then you don't have to make retarded threads and questions like this. If you're going to be a cheating idiot, then at least be an honest cheating idiot, instead of pretending to be legit, while being a cheating idiot. The reason I care is because people like you give me stress. I want to smack the shit out of you.

cowking
Clawstorm Terror

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum