Unlocking class potential.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unlocking class potential.

Post by iwansquall on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 am

If you remember / played medianXL long time, there was a time where Trap-druid able to use throwing-knife for their main weapon of choice.
Of course it was imbalanced because Trap-druid can sustain high-missiles count compared to old throw-sin.
Same goes to old pure-dex dagger barb, because they can get max block back then.
I believe this was the time where Laz balanced %block across all shield types.

Additional, compared to old cLoD, you will noticed that some class have their animation speed increased by specific weapon setup.
This info were added in older Median2008 documentation, but seem now it all totally missing except for some info.
The only one I can find in newer doc, is only in Items->Base-> Channeling which talked about how fast caster with staffs.
All this information lead to I believe that we still can balance class around animation-frame-speed for specific build.

So, what I want to discuss in this thread specifically is : Is there some changes can be done without needing to change all skill design in MedianXL Ultimative.

Couple of question regarding this matters that I have are:
1. If trap-druid able to use javelin, would it be more powerful than javazon?
2. If melee-necro able to use any melee weapon (specifically 2hand sword), would it break the balance?
3. Should orb casting animation remained much slower than a staff because of able to use with shield despite staff have much more powerful stats.
4. Should amazon have their own morph because of problem with %avoid from cLoD's slow animation .. bug. (Spearcat specifically) Or maybe speed up the dodge animation speed?
5. Should specific class build only limited to one weapon type? Spearzon with 2hand sword / polearm?

A lot of more question I want to ask, but I simply want to heard other people thought about this stuff.

tl;dr
1. Balancing game with frame animation speed
2. Balancing game with weapon requirement for skill

*Im aware that there was a limitation with some weapon requirement (something like capped to 3, IIRC but you can put "all melee" into it)
** Whoever want old median 2008 1.57b, i still have both d2patch and documentation pdf. I can upload and share via dropbox (not sure about filesize limit though)

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unlocking class potential.

Post by RollsRoyce on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:23 pm

1. pretty sure the answer is no ( because javazon is op as shit lategame), but it would mean a buff for an already very strong build

2. nope dont think this would change anything, carsomyr would come to my mind as a decent alternative to a good sur rw 8 or other scythes)

3 To be honest i think that a slow animation is reason enough to remove a weapon as a viable option ( only exception is holy wars + poison )

4. Why should every character get their own morph Smile a zon should not rely so much on avoid and the problem is fixed.

5. Good idea however i think that it would look weird if you would have a spearzon with a 2handed sword

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm

1. I think it would be cool if trap rat could use throwing knives or axes.
2. Melee necro attacking without a scythe seems weird. Although I think attacking with something besides a dagger would be cool cause I'm not big on melee necro with dagger.
3. Sorceress cast animation is crazy fast to begin with. I don't have a problem with sacrificing survivability with more spell damage. Balance is sensible.
4. Zon cast speed is a hell of a lot better now. Don't agree with a morph for her. She already can use Shamanka which goes well for her anyways.
5. Spearzon isn't a Spearzon without a spear.

GregMXL
Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 pm

^^ At least throwing knives which would be fair since the Tree Warden can use Throwing Axes.

For the last point, no a Spearzon isn't a Spearzon without a spear but a Titan (full Strength) zon with max effective Lioness and the right gear is a freakin tank. Too bad her shield and swing/two hand swing animations are so slow.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dmitriy Of on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:19 pm

1. Agree with Rolls, it would not be so epic like throwing knives but it's seem like more alternative variations for all stages of game(except of max damage on rare/crafted spears - up to 1k iirc).
2. No, there is no greatest options for melee necro then class specific scythes(only carsomyr). + deathlord animation uses sword, so, using swords on melee necro may be reasonable imho.
3. No option. I never play caster sorc without staff.
4. Amazon already have powerfull trees and are most playable farmers afaik, only thing they loses is avoid. It's unnecessary.
5. Agree with Rolls/Greg - no spearzons without spears.

Dmitriy Of
Curst Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum