Cheating Policy

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cheating Policy

Post by swizzlewizzle on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 am

Lol sharing save files is forbidden? What? So I guess the admins DO care what people do in their SP game. You almost had me there  Nope Nope

swizzlewizzle
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:32 am

Somehow this conversation seems familiar. I think we've had it several times over the years.

@swizzlewizzle: If you really want to cheat on SP, there are any number of ways to do it. The modmakers can't stop you even if they wanted to. All they can do is enforce what meager protection they can and discourage people from talking about it on the forums. For better or worse, that's been the policy here (and on the old forums) since 2008. I doubt you're going to change their minds on the issue.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swizzlewizzle on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am

I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a mode, save file, or editor for SP where we can freely sandbox.

swizzlewizzle
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 am

There is one on sourmath.com go check it out.

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swizzlewizzle on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 am

@gg2 wrote:There is one on sourmath.com go check it out.
Replies like this.. What a loser Rolling Eyes

swizzlewizzle
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg2 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 am

You got excited admit it fgit

gg2
Scaled Mutant

Marco's Favorite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:29 am

Get a room you two, please.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 am

@swizzlewizzle wrote:I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a mode, save file, or editor for SP where we can freely sandbox.

No it wouldn't. You know why? Because I would be ruining many people's game.
You might not understand it today, or tomorrow, or ever. But that's a fact. Cheating will lead people to have a very temporal joy. I rather promote players to cheatlessly try the game because they won't regret it. Because at first try it looks like the mod has a bunch of awesome content and whatnot, and people are sometimes too eager to see it right away. But it actually pays off to just play the game and learn it until you can do that "cool stuff". More fun, more feeling of accomplishment. And I can guarantee this logic applies to EVERY single game on earth.

See it as, you're playing chess with someone. He goes to the bathroom, and you sneak a piece that was actually dead, to gain an advantage. Your opponent doesn't realise it. Then, you win. How do you feel? Well you would have probably a very diminshed feeling of superficial happiness, because you won, but you cheated. But what if you didn't cheat and had won regardless? You would certainly feel a lot happier with yourself.

You should trust me (and in the past Laz) for this policy. It's the right call. I used to be a lot more open at the start, but then people would ocassionally post some sort of cheat / hack, and suddenly some legit players would become contaminated by it. Because cheating contaminates legit players. A lot. That's why sometimes I'm a bit harsh towards SP community, as there are hardly any legit players, because the single player's trade system is based on duped items and unrealistic costs.

If you want to play MXL, don't cheat. It's the best advice. Take it or leave it, I know that time will prove me right every single time.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VroaxE on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 am

@marco : totally agree with you. I think that cheating leaves people to quit playing so much sooner and leaves them with a feeling that the game wasn't as good as it is (back in time, Doom with and without god mode were not the same game!).

But...

Some people like playing MP much more than SP and don't have much money/time to invest in it so they might want to test chars in SP so they don't have to buy things that might turn out to be useless (and hard to "retrade"). Like I said earlier, it was common practice in cLoD to test chars on SP before spending fg/money/trading for items and if the MP community should develop much further and SP became almost as dead as it was in cLoD, some way to speed up the testing process might be welcome (though I don't think it's the case atm, seeing that there are still many people playing only SP).
I also think that being able to pay for items somewhat ruins the experience. If you trade items for fg and then fg for items it's just optimized trading but spending money to stuff up your char entirely doesn't seem the recipe for happiness...

Edit : aside about chess game (and other competitive board games), if your opponent doesn't notice, he is probably as bad as you (or me, never really been too good at chess) because an OK chess player will almost always see it. And like most 1vs1 games the best way to learn is to play against people that are slightly better than you and to watch people that are much better than you. Playing against bad players and giving yourself an advantage by cheating will never make you progress and will most probably give you a bad reputation.

VroaxE
Heretic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 am

Edit : aside about chess game (and other competitive board games), if your opponent doesn't notice, he is probably as bad as you (or me, never really been too good at chess) because an OK chess player will almost always see it. And like most 1vs1 games the best way to learn is to play against people that are slightly better than you and to watch people that are much better than you. Playing against bad players and giving yourself an advantage by cheating will never make you progress and will most probably give you a bad reputation.

Well, quite obviously, everyone but a retard or a <5 year old would notice it. That's why I clarified "he doesn't notice". Hypoteticall case

I admit that one of the reasons I always loved realmplay is the same as with many other games: SP grinding is unrewarding, while in MP there's competence. In SP all the work stress will be unnoticed, while in a multiplayer environment it always feels pleasant.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum