have you ever thought about giving up with median XL?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

have you ever thought about giving up with median XL?

Post by johnnxiv on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 am

I thought about giving up several times because the game is way too hard. On my Amazon, I hit ~220k def and still get kill miserably. I know 220k def is nothing to you guys, some have like 700k def, but I got stuck in Terror Act 4. What about you guys?

johnnxiv
Ice Clan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: have you ever thought about giving up with median XL?

Post by whist on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:40 am

I never thought about giving up, I was more forced to. With the development of Sigma, along with my free time being so limited, I was pretty much forced to quit playing. But if it wasn't for that, I would never think about leaving... Diablo II was already a game you could hardly get bored of. If you did, you would eventually come back soon after... The game hasn't lived over 15 years for nothing. And Median XL just made this even more strong. In MXL, there's so much to do, you simply cannot get bored. I'm hoping Sigma will yet again, amplify this.

whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:55 am

You're gonna hate that I say it, but the game isn't as hard as it looks. Trust me, I see dumb people succeed at this game on a daily basis.

I think one of the keys is knowing which stats to look for regarding the build you want to do. And the second key is properly distribution of skill points mainly (stat points matter but not as much).

Your problem (or what I can see from your post) is simple: you don't know what your problem is. You see it this way, you have 220k def at act4 terror (which is really high) and you wonder how you die so fast... and next assumptions include lines such as "the game is hard". It's actually really simple, you probably have a ridiculously bad killspeed (or you have your resistances not maxed and you're getting raped by elemental damage, but I think it's the former).

Simple, post gear and skill distribution, people will help you.

And final clarification, you don't want to give up on MXL. Why, because it's a ridiculously good game and if you found it you shouldn't leave it like that. Understanding the game can be a bit challenging, yes. But in the worst case you can always get a "little help" from people. Items or whatever. It's not the most optimal scenario, but it can help you go through that initial struggle until you can get a character that is able to farm ubers in dest.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:50 am

@johnnxiv wrote:I thought about giving up several times because the game is way too hard. On my Amazon, I hit ~220k def and still get kill miserably. I know 220k def is nothing to you guys, some have like 700k def, but I got stuck in Terror Act 4. What about you guys?

I've been discouraged by my builds pretty often. And yes, to the point where I would just give up because I couldn't progress.
But the awesome thing about median is there's dozens of other builds you could play. Invariably, I always find someway to have fun with the game.

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:29 am

@johnnxiv wrote:I thought about giving up several times because the game is way too hard. On my Amazon, I hit ~220k def and still get kill miserably. I know 220k def is nothing to you guys, some have like 700k def, but I got stuck in Terror Act 4. What about you guys?

There really isn't enough information here for anyone to give you any specific advice. What sort of Amazon? 220k for a Spearie isn't the same as 220k for a Jave or a Bowie. Are you making sure to walk? How is your Hit Recovery? Resists--since your problem is in the elementally heavy Act IV I am inclined to agree with Marco here and say you have a resists problem? What level are you?

The three biggest mistakes people make, imho.

1. Standing still. Stop doing this. Stick and move, stick and move.

2 Defense Rating isn't everything. Lets look at Tran. No matter your defense, those chicks will always have at least a 5% chance to hit you. You can have literally hundreds of arrows flying at you sometimes. Even at 5%, some of them are going to hit you.

3. Not figuring out what works for your play style. Personally I play this game to unwind. I could no more emulate the epic farming vids you see here than I could play in the NBA. I am a slow but steady player and will keep working an area till I find a way that works for me.

4. Not doing your research. The docs are your friend. I read them at work. I read them on my phone.

5. If you play only SP then you are going to have to become a pro to play like a pro. Laz designed Median originally with SP in mind. Marco designed--and correct me if I am wrong, Marco--Ultimative with MP in mind. If you are of normal to sub-normal skill then play multi-player and know that there is no shame in partying up.

I'm sure I will think of some more.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nani on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

TO the first part of the question: No, so far I haven't thought of giving up, but that'S currently mostly because I just returned to Median after a very long break and am basically new once more. At least concerning the finer details, since I at least am still familiar with the four skilltrees that have been and still are present. Worst case would be my interest waning a bit and doing other stuff for a while. But I hardly could give up on Median completely.

Now concerning your Amazon, Grimjerk already mentioned the most important thing in my opinion. Which coincidentally is something I needed to relearn myself: Never stand in one place! I know how tempting it can be if the character is supposed to be a tank/melee character, but that ultimately means a lot less than it does in cLoD. The area that taught me that the fastest was Fauztinville on Terror. Herding enemies around is a very viable and necessary tactic.

Nani
Sasquatch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:47 am

@johnnxiv I've been in your situation a long time ago. It's all about knowledge and tactics. I remember my first character was the unmatched assasin and hit a wall in destruction and decided to quit just because I didn't know what to do to further progress. After a long pause I started again with a bowzon and I progressed easier (I literally farmed the Pantheon set in blood more, den of evil and that cave from cold plains). Later I wanted to play an older version of ultimative (v6b I think it was) and I also started a amazon there (wanted to make a perfect replica of stoya's javazon) and step by step i figured a way to make a bowzon till the end that could handle easily duncraig without SUs and I did it. There are a lot of solutions, you just need to find/think them. Watching videos on youtube helped me a bit Very Happy.

romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I got bored with my summoner necro, but he was not even remotely close to being complete and still had a ton of options with SU gear I never pursued. With my bow-amazon, I just got fuckin pwned in dest on the harder ubers and found out it was mostly gear check, but was too lazy to farm 10-thousand-hours for the propitiate gear in k3k and tran, so I quit with her. The game is fun on it's own merits, but I've yet to complete all ubers mostly due to laziness and lack of free-time, however I have a feeling when MXLU: Sigma is released, I'll finally defeat all ubers Very Happy !

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ohmarinus on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I love fixing stuff, rerolling that shitty javelin for 120 times to get double orb on it only to find out it didn't work as you expected it would. Respeccing to bowzon, rolling quivers till you get Hanabigami, only to fail the lucky upgrade.

Grinding Dta with your traprat until you can do it eyes closed...

Haha, I quit 'every day'. But then the next I just get back to it.

Ohmarinus
Clawstorm Terror

Why u no mac for Sigma?!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:18 pm

@grimjerk wrote:
5. If you play only SP then you are going to have to become a pro to play like a pro. Laz designed Median originally with SP in mind. Marco designed--and correct me if I am wrong, Marco--Ultimative with MP in mind. If you are of normal to sub-normal skill then play multi-player and know that there is no shame in partying up.

That is a bit far from the truth grim. All ubers are very doable solo, probably the only one where you can say no shame in partying up is the void. And yes I am talking solo from an untwinked start like a ladder reset, and no I do not consider myself pro at the game. It's simply down to knowledge (mostly) and practice.

The fact that you see many of these TSW "pros" always in party on their uber screenshots is because people always find the path of least resistance - it's just human nature. Does it make ubers easier when you party up? Sure. Same way that duping your GR's or resetting save to make an insane rolled Natasha's legacy etc. in sp does. It's just a choice every player makes for themselves.

Does that imply that the mod is made with MP in mind? I don't think so. (In fact XV reduced the difficulty of some ubers, making it even more "accessible" than XIV).

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum