[ 29 ]

Total Votes : 163

New Forum [WIP]

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:52 am

WE ARE MOVING
www.median-xl.com

Stay tuned!

Spoiler:
Basically, I'm considering moving to an actual paid host.
I want to know what people think. So please vote! (but read first)
And no, this is not XVI's changelog. Sorry-

WHAT COULD BE THE BENEFITS?

General Features
> Faster forum speed.
> Better looking forum.
> Higher security.
> Tapatalk support
> Better search function
> A GOOD chatbox (or shoutbox)

The BIG Features
> In-forum abiility to trade TG.
> Forum shop, could 'buy' features such as signatures, with TG.
> Integrated documentation in the forum - one-click item posting for example, for easier guidemaking or whatever.
> Integrated "Tools Center" inside the forum, with rating/commenting system, download links of last updates, etc.
> Integration of the forum and TSW (example accounts linked in forum) - adds many options such as seeing who is online, games, etc. Maybe even enter TSW chat.
> Integrated MXL:Sigma support (such as in-game TG trading, creating in-game events that somehow reflect themselves in the forum)
> A Guide center, where people can rate guides or sort them by version, guidemakers could unlock features such as use of HTML, javascript, css, etc)
> Full access to the forum database, and ability to code anything we want

Visibility & Accessibility
> Ability to pick between many forum visual themes
> Better display of cookies, badges, and other, on an user's profile in the posts
> Multi-language
> Ability to preview threads somehow
> More BBcode tags, or custom templates for your messages
> Ability to add attachments to post (upload stuff, basically)

The Limits
> No more 100-page limit. We could have a thread with 50000 pages.
> Infinite (or high) amount of allowed messages on inbox / savebox.
> Statistics expansion: top 10 viewed threads could be increased, or last 10 posts on forum home.

Misc
> An actual good/functional homepage
> Automatic assignment of badges
> Profile views or last visitors features
> Ability to display "live streams" on the homepage or wherever
> Private messages between more than one user
> Better ban system
> Better notification system (for example, you just received a cookie in X post)
> Ability to have passworded threads (these would go in a specific forum)

... and MORE.

WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES?

We "lose":
> 6000 accounts (that would need to be re-created)
> 180.000 posts (important posts could be moved and author/dates could be hacked, but 99% posts would be lost)
> 6600 topics
> Private messages
> Topic view counts
> Friend lists

WHAT IS UNCERTAIN?

> Would the forum increase activity? You would expect it to, but you never know, some people don't like change.
> Will things actually be better? Will the forum have such a good uptime as this one? Will it in practice be faster?

So, would you be willing to take this risk? Vote!

Last edited by MarcoNecroX on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 am; edited 4 times in total

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forum [WIP]

Post by Hot_ice on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:36 am

I am missing an option "I like the ups, but am uncertain if can deal with the downs" as a 4th to make it 5 options, to have 2 positive ones, 1 neutral ("I don't care") and two "negative" ones. That would be more "fair" Wink

Anyways I voted "I would really like it"

Alternative sentence "I like the ups, but I do not want the downs!"

Hot_ice
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:25 am

I think you would know what's best for the community better than I would. With that said, I voted "don't care", but mostly since i dont care about any of the upsides (as i dont use them), but that may matter to others.

With that said, if it's a paid host, who's going to pay?
Are we going to have advertisements?

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:29 am

@MarcoNecroX wrote:

General Features
> Faster forum speed. // Yeah that would be good
> Better looking forum. // Don't care
> Higher security. // Don't care
> Tapatalk support // What's that?
> Better search function // Like what?
> A GOOD chatbox (or shoutbox) // Meh

The BIG Features
> In-forum abiility to trade TG. // Don't care
> Forum shop, could 'buy' features such as signatures, with TG. // Don't care = DC getting lazy
> Integrated documentation in the forum - one-click item posting for example, for easier guidemaking or whatever. // Sounds useful
> Integrated "Tools Center" inside the forum, with rating/commenting system, download links of last updates, etc. // Don't we have this already?
> Integration of the forum and TSW (example accounts linked in forum) - adds many options such as seeing who is online, games, etc. Maybe even enter TSW chat. // I don't like this
> Integrated MXL:Sigma support (such as in-game TG trading, creating in-game events that somehow reflect themselves in the forum) // DC
> A Guide center, where people can rate guides or sort them by version, guidemakers could unlock features such as use of HTML, javascript, css, etc) // Unlock feature = pay for feature?
> Full access to the forum database, and ability to code anything we want // What new would be coded under these circumstances?

Visibility & Accessibility
> Ability to pick between many forum visual themes // DC
> Better display of cookies, badges, and other, on an user's profile in the posts // DC
> Multi-language // English works fine
> Ability to preview threads somehow // DC
> More BBcode tags, or custom templates for your messages // DC
> Ability to add attachments to post (upload stuff, basically) // Useful

The Limits
> No more 100-page limit. We could have a thread with 50000 pages. // DC
> Infinite (or high) amount of allowed messages on inbox / savebox. // DC
> Statistics expansion: top 10 viewed threads could be increased, or last 10 posts on forum home. // DC

Misc
> An actual good/functional homepage // It works good enough here
> Automatic assignment of badges // It's kinda fun to get the badge from admin
> Profile views or last visitors features // DC
> Ability to display "live streams" on the homepage or wherever // Interesting, but who will stream there?
> Private messages between more than one user // Useful
> Better ban system // Do we really need that?
> Better notification system (for example, you just received a cookie in X post) // DC, better if people say they gave cookie
> Ability to have passworded threads (these would go in a specific forum) // Do not want

... and MORE. // That's just Marco

WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES?

We "lose":
> 6000 accounts (that would need to be re-created) // Nooo
> 180.000 posts (important posts could be moved and author/dates could be hacked, but 99% posts would be lost) // Nooo
> 6600 topics // Nooo, not the nonsense thread, oh nooo
> Private messages // DC
> Topic view counts // DC
> Friend lists // DC

I wouldn't feel bad if everything stayed the way it is, even though the forum is kinda slow sometimes.
On the other hand we can't know what we miss if we don't make the step.
Gonna vote for don't mind either outcome. You gotta know what you're doing with your forum.
By the way, in case you decide to go with paid site, how much will it cost, and how will it be paid for?

void
Prince Albrecht

Cool Font Guy
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:24 am

I'll pay for it.

As for "I'm the boss so I decide", well, yes, obviously. But, I'm curious as of what people think. And I want to installate the idea and let people know that this is something being considered. Because if this happens, people will need to push a bit in the beggining till we can stabilize, re-creating the important threads so that we can have everything in it.

The thing that bugs me the most is knowing that if I decide to do this, I need to decide ASAP. Because the more time passes, the more posts / users might get lost.

@void wrote:> Tapatalk support // What's that?

That's a pretty neat mobile app, as far as I can tell. It has been requested many times.

@void wrote:> Integrated "Tools Center" inside the forum, with rating/commenting system, download links of last updates, etc. // Don't we have this already?

Err no. I'm talking about an actual "center", not just a forum linking to tools from external sites. In a center you could have tools sorted by MXL versions, and by categories, including ability to rate them or sort by popularity, etc.

> A Guide center, where people can rate guides or sort them by version, guidemakers could unlock features such as use of HTML, javascript, css, etc) // Unlock feature = pay for feature?

Well no. Unlock it could be achieved many ways, but in my head I have guide rating system, that would enable guidemakers with certain achieved guide rating OR guide count (we could have a Guide center, similar to a tool center I mentioned above, allowing division and easy identification of versions, whether guide is WIP or finished, even guide version, ranking system, etc)

> Full access to the forum database, and ability to code anything we want // What new would be coded under these circumstances?

Well pretty much everything listed in the list are things that could be coded thanks to having this access. The thing is, we have full access to all the TSW data (we obviously didn't in D2M). In sigma we'll have full access to writing code in external libraries, and having a paid forum would mean we'd have access to all user profiles and informations (it's the only missing piece).

In case you don't know (although it's kind of obvious), this is a free forum host. The domain name (medianxl.com) used to be paid but now I'm getting it free due to high activity. Only thing being paid right now are copyrights.

> An actual good/functional homepage // It works good enough here

Heh, no, it could be much better. Current homepage is module-based. And that's as far as it goes.
And it's not only the homepage. It's about pages overall. Let me explain: in this current forum we're
able to create HTML pages on root directory (like .com/donate.html). HTML pages are currently almost
unfunctional because they mostly serve for documentation purposes: you need PHP for this.

The issue is that a LOT of stuff on these forums are post-based, and some shouldn't. For example, version releases shouldn't be post, nor should guides or tools be. Neither should contests, ban requests or ban appeals. And the problem with posts is that, just like HTML pages, they are completely unfunctional, but posts are also hard to deal with because if everything is a post, everything becomes messy, unconfortable and you need to link stuff here and there.

If we had, say a page, medianxl.com/download , where everyone could know they are able to get the very lastest version from there. Or medianxl.com/tools. Whatever. It just makes everything easier and better.

> Ability to display "live streams" on the homepage or wherever // Interesting, but who will stream there?

Well, the module should be able to detect live streams from people who've submitted MXL streams into some kind of form that would be added.

> 6600 topics // Nooo, not the nonsense thread, oh nooo

Dream about a 5000-page nonsense thread Very Happy

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:37 am

No matter what Marco just do it!

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metalistas on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:49 am

If there is a chance to backup guides/L.F.A.Q section then yes.

Metalistas
Goliath

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mahitovec on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:09 am

current one is good enough. simple and compact. and ill lose my 10 k views thread Mad
nahuj nado

mahitovec
Shadowgate Totem

TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://www.twitch.tv/d0sm0t

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:59 am

Emu vseravno na tvoi 10 k view xD, on vseravno sdelaet eto tak ili ina4e. Whistling

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 am

Okay, I voted. When do we move? King

Wotan
Madawc

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down