[ 49 ]
20% 20% 
[ 32 ]
17% 17% 
[ 29 ]

Total Votes : 163

Re: New Forum [WIP]

Post by Wotan on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:01 pm

@nomercy4you wrote:Why not export and import the members and posts? Maybe we have to write an importer script, but there are a lot of good programers around here?
C'mon. Chop, chop slackers. Nomercy demands you to do so. Tongue 2
Wotan
Madawc

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by munkyh3ad on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:22 pm

Yes i would. The cons are just random numbers to me, all that i see as worth saving is the guides/tools/changelog subforums. And some volunteer(s) could spend time even to copy/paste them on the new forum if it can't be imported, everything else will build up again by itself, and i believe the activity will increase as a result of not having the old topics and the need to know certain things. The current forum is good so i guess that's why some may be hesitant to change or just don't care but since it has it's limitations going forward and moving is the right choice and will certainly be for the better.
munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ufoleet on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:33 pm

@nomercy4you wrote:Why not export and import the members and posts? Maybe we have to write an importer script, but there are a lot of good programers around here?

All of this has been already discussed before in the private forums and after some research I've found some prototypes of crawlers that could gather all publicly visible information and try to export it into phpbb3 sql queries. However, there's a lot of troubleshooting to be made if you decide to go this way.

@ufoleet wrote:For example, you can't export custom data fields (cookies, TG, etc), some data fields are also not exported (emails, groups, permissions), you can't access hidden forums (everything has to be set to public), attachments are gone, PMs are gone and the passwords have to be randomly generated for every single account since access to DB is locked.
ufoleet
Arachnida

Server Hoster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike385776 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:19 pm

follow us - -!

mike385776
Prowler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:24 pm

@nomercy: well, I obviously would export users if it was possible. It isn't, because there's no access to the database. You could have crawlers and what not but there are no ways to get passwords

@ufo: pretty sure cookies/tg/badges are crawlable Smile

As for version, I was thinking myBB. Seems a pretty tough call between that and phpBB3. Would probably need to do some more research

Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:27 pm

@MarcoNecroX wrote:Quoting is better, because you have the source code of each post.

Also notice that many things can be transfered. And for no reason would this forum be deleted, so there's infinite time to grab all the necessary informations. Cookies, badges and TG could be transfered without any issues.

The main things that are lost are question topics, and people's post counts (poor Greg).
Ladder reset for posts eh... I'm up for it rofl
Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rexxar on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:48 pm

@Marco

I'm one of moderators on one forum that use phpbb3, I can ask them which one is better and why did they decide to go with phpbb3, pros-cons, forum has maybe ~3 million registered users.

Rexxar
Cow Ninja

Lord of Nonsense

View user profile http://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=61143&p=

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:51 pm

@Rexxar wrote:@Marco

I'm one of moderators on one forum that use phpbb3, I can ask them which one is better and why did they decide to go with phpbb3, pros-cons, forum has maybe ~3 million registered users.

This forum uses phpBB3 Very Happy
Also i've seen this: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/mybb-vs-phpbb3-vs-simple-machines-2

myBB seems pretty good

Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nomercy4you on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:01 pm

@MarcoNecroX: Maybe you already discussed it, but did you ask your forum provider for a sql backup? Afaik most of the "forum only" provider will give you access to backups if you ask them. And no possibility to execute own php code?
nomercy4you
Glowing Blob

Server Hoster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rexxar on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:30 pm

@Marco

I was just to post that.

It seems that google works fine. Smile

Anyway, I can't help, "my" forum is still on phpbb2, it was only upgraded a lot of times so it looks like phpbb3.

Anyway Marco, you decide.

Go with mybb and if you have difficulties with it, bugs, this and that, then you can try with phpbb3, right.

Rexxar
Cow Ninja

Lord of Nonsense

View user profile http://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=61143&p=

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: