20% 20% 
[ 32 ]
17% 17% 
[ 29 ]

Total Votes : 163

Re: New Forum [WIP]

Post by Quirinus on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Moving to a new forum:
We'd have access to all the php pages of the forum and all the database info. With that we could code whatever we wanted really easily - unlike now. Adding features now is a real pain in the ass, we have to spend 10 times more time to do it, and it's harder to add stuff because we don't have direct access to the code/data, so we have to add all the neat features in a hackish and roundabout way. Some of the things we want would be nigh impossible to code on this forum, but on the other forum it would be a piece of cake.

The problem is that Forumotion (current free forum provider) doesn't want to give the Database contents (users, passwords, threads, posts, pms, cookies, various other data...), I think we even offered to pay to buy it, but nothing. That wouldn't be a too big problem if, at the same time, it allowed access to the forum php code - but it doesn't give access to it...

Yes, we could maybe make a crawler to get some of the data from this forum... I've made my own, but I'd have to spend a lot of time tweaking it and stuff, and it would take ages to crawl everything, because you can't open too many pages at once, and if you start crawling too much/fast, they could block the crawler. And in the end it might not even work well. We can manually move some of the most important threads/posts/cookies/badges though, everything else isn't thaaaat important really, and the current forum would still stay up...

The biggest problem would be losing the users/passwords.

Last edited by Quirinus on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 am; edited 3 times in total

Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nomercy4you on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Ok, what is this shit. I just googled a little bit. [self-censorship]Forummotion is a ***** piece of *****[/self-censorship]
It seems that a crawler is the only way do it. It seems there are some available, sadly I have no time for testing. Btw. there is enough webspace for experiments etc. on the realm server. I think it is even enough for the forum, I wrote Marco a PM. Just let me know if you want to use it.

I change my opinion from: don't try to fix something you don't need to fix (and stay...) to
GET THE HELL OUTA HERE Hitting a Wall
nomercy4you
Glowing Blob

Server Hoster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GregMXL on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 pm

I like it here but if it's a better scenario to move on to something bigger and better then, by all means, I'm totally down with this.

Zorun Tzin

Epic Admin
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Str0b3l on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Im fine with the current Situation but im open for New things especially if they would hlp to increase the amount of the fanbase
I dont understand whats the Problem with the loss of the accounts?
Creating a New one is not big of a deal exceptmb stupid people trying to steal names
Or the forum gold for the New things that will be available with it

Fking auto correct
Str0b3l
The Butcher

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cookitime on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:43 pm

The only thing i will miss for sure are the guides:D in rest the new forum sounds nice more oportunity for us so that beeing sayd I dont realy care about change couse im sure ppl will make new guides wich btw are realy usefull i recomand anyone to see em no all is compatible but its nice for start.
PS:hope median xl will grow more and never die! Unfortunately my pc broke but i read forum every day till ill fix comp and pray the bill wont be too expensive:D Smile)
cookitime
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whist on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:57 pm

I vote yes. We already did it once, and it worked out just well. Not to mention this time it would be for a better forum, not only because the old one was deleted. A forum that really somehow interacts with the game/realm would be great.

Who cares about cookie counts and posts. 90% of the "lost" stuff is mainly spammed posts and cookie wars, the rest is easily moved to the new forum... somehow we lose all the posts that makes the search feature works in the end, but then again... all them newbies never bother to use search and ask how to kill the butcher in newbie section, so that's not even a valid argument... This "database" will recreate itself in no time at all. Not to mention the search feature on this forum host really sucks balls...

Those voting no because "current forum works out fine" are simply retarded. No offense, but that's it. Not to mention these same users are the first to call us retarded dumbasses whenever we can't implement X feature due to Y limitation Rolling Eyes
whist
Nihlathak

Huehuehue™

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealthmaster on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:09 am

Just let use now few days before you move, so I could copy the text and pics in right order from my guide for keeping them in my PC just in case Smile
Stealthmaster
Infernal Machine

Master of Stealth!
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Myth0s on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:28 am

Stealth, for what I understand, this forum won't immediately shut down. So If I'm right, they can open a new forum, copy all the guides/faqs to the new forum and then easily shut it down. Very Happy

Myth0s
Que-Hegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 am

@Myth0s wrote:Stealth, for what I understand, this forum won't immediately shut down. So If I'm right, they can open a new forum, copy all the guides/faqs to the new forum and then easily shut it down. Very Happy

Yep.

Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBlackZ on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:41 am

Yeah actually I believe moving the guide is of no problem at all, moreover, it is the only important thing as far as i'm concerned (some contest topic move is funny too Very Happy ).

So vote Yes!!
MrBlackZ
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: