Character decision help - versatility

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Character decision help - versatility

Post by Hot_ice on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 am

Hey there,

I am uncertain on what character to choose based on missing knowledge. I played the mod, but that is so long ago and I do not remember about what I seek...
As for outside the mod: At the moment I'm really into "necromancers", I like using many different curses or technical spells like poison (currently playing a dagger necro in another mod) and boneskills that fly in a line so you have to kite and line enemies up a little "Line em up!"  Cookie monster , or use bone walls for that Mr Green I also like the idea of bone walls/prisons in general. So basically I enjoy and search a character with options and versatile playstyle that requires some hotkeys, a build that is still supposed to work (without needing more gear than others)! By the way: I do not enjoy (uncontrollable) summons at the moment.

If anyone knows to answer, I do not want to know any specifics like a guide or whatlevel and what Items I do need let alone how great anyone is - I want to find that out /experience it myself. But I do look for the direction of playstyle, so specifically class and possible skills!

Last edited by Hot_ice on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Hot_ice
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Character decision help - versatility

Post by Asteroth on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:29 am

Barbarians are extremely versatile, but a bit hard.

Necromancers are actually really good as well, but bone spells and curses as you know them don't exist. Despite that, the median xl iteration of the necro is quite awesome. You can do melee necro (very strong), xbow, summonnancer, totemancer, or even a caster with badass new skills.

Or you can just try every character to see if you fall in love with any of them immediately.

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hot_ice on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:48 am

Which hard for the barbarian do you mean, hard like weaker than other characters, hard if skilled "versatile", or just requiring more experience and "skill" from the player?
Thanks for the answer

Hot_ice
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:04 am

lots of skill switching involved if you're melee (though you can always go fortress or axe throwing).
Needs lots of AR (but that's been helped with Daedalus) to be effective.

Honestly, the sheer flexibility of the barb makes him one of the best characters. Give him a shot.

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hot_ice on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Yep trying him atm, but tbh I'm less of a total melee player. Will try some more...

By the way: Stances are like Auras, right? So you have to keep them on your right mouse button skill place to work.., or can you change that somehow?

Last edited by Hot_ice on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hot_ice
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironpool on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:31 pm

they are like auras with really low range. you can increase their ranges with some skills if you want them on your allies

Ironpool
Maelstrom Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm with Asteroth here. The two most gear independent toons are the melee barb, Javazon and the Caster Druid.

As has been said, melee barb requires you to play the game with two hands, but once you master skill switching then you have it made.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MUS01 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 pm

@Asteroth wrote:lots of skill switching involved if you're melee (though you can always go fortress or axe throwing).

Honestly, the sheer flexibility of the barb makes him one of the best characters. Give him a shot.

Bear stance barb isn't sooo skill switching dependant...
However, the best builds actually are dual weild barbs (free -res in the enemy thanks to blood hatred, lots of life on striking thanks again, to BH)

MUS01
Burning Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wulf on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:36 pm

@Asteroth wrote:lots of skill switching involved if you're melee (though you can always go fortress or axe throwing).

If I may ask, what kind of barbarian are you referring to? I've never played one and would be interested to pick one up. What spells do late-game barbs use mostly?

Wulf
Landmass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:47 pm

@grimjerk wrote:I'm with Asteroth here. The two most gear independent toons are the melee barb, Javazon and the Caster Druid.

As has been said, melee barb requires you to play the game with two hands, but once you master skill switching then you have it made.

I'd have thrown sorceress in there as well. Cold/poison is just soo good (look at that homeless bitch guide for example). Honestly I feel like casters just have an easier time than WDM based characters. spell based characters can do quite well with just crafted gear, but i'm not sure i can say the same for many WDM chars.

Also, for barbs it's a bit annoying that stances are hardcoded to be on the right click button for mouse. It's really nice to just hold down the right button for other melee characters, but barbs end up having to mash the left click to kill stuff.

@Wulf, i've done bear stance/melee with a 2ndhanded barb axe with 20 points into fortress (stance switch out of bear to cast it). That worked really well to complete many ubers.
on SP i've also tried a similar thing but with kraken/snake/eagle stance, but the APM for that build hurt my hands/wrists after an hour of playing.
i'm raising a dual-wield barb on realm right now so we'll see how it goes.

The cool thing about barbs is the sheer depth of customization. Want more defense? you can choose from bear stance/runemaster/spirit guide.
Want more damage? nephelem weapons kraken/lion/wolf/snake stances. Extra survivability? eagle stance (dual wield weapons with 50% ctc balefire and eagle stance is apparently a sick combo).
Want CB? Wolf stance.

Want range? throw in fortress (i never even made a dedicated fortress barb. the skill is just so useful across the board).

I've never even tried axe throwing barbs (i hear rebound is kickass) or summoners (marco himself spoke highly of them)

EDIT: Barbs have sooo many useful skills (1 point wonders) that i don't have the APM to use them. One could just stormblast/thunderslam their way to victory, but it's so much better if you can throw in titan strike and fortress for extra support, or SoR against certain mobs. And with dualwield it's even harder because you also want to throw in blood hatred.
Now with iceburst in the mix (and ancient's hand oskill) there's a nauseating number of options a late game barb can choose from

Last edited by Asteroth on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum