What the fuck is good about a "mechanical keyboard"?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What the fuck is good about a "mechanical keyboard"?

Post by Will on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Swear in title mostly for looks and answers...

I bought high priced VERY nice keyboard that I reallllllly like. 1 problem... I read mechanical keys are better for response or something for games and yet the spacing of keys is driving me batty!

ideas?

More info on what exactly it means?

Thanks!

Will
Talic

Mr. Generosity/Former Forumer & Freak :)
TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://medianxl.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What the fuck is good about a "mechanical keyboard"?

Post by The Big Ouchy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:36 pm

A mechanical keyboard uses a physical switch that is activated about midway through the keypress. Many of them also produce a distinctive sound when the switch is activated which allows you to know precisely when the signal is sent that the key was indeed pressed. This can help you learn to type without pressing down all the way to the bottom of the keystroke which, according to some people, saves time and allows you to type faster. Some argue that its helps you know when you have "for sure" pressed a key, which is kind of stupid to me but whatever. Basically some people prefer the feel of them and they also enjoy the idea of spending a crapton of money on a new kind of keyboard which is actually an old kind of keyboard.

The Big Ouchy
Bear Shaman

More brilliant than Chuck Noris!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ohmarinus on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Not sure what you are talking about. I have one of those flat mac keyboards and they are great for gaming!

It's this one, and the buttons press wonderfully and give good feedback:

Ohmarinus
Clawstorm Terror

Why u no mac for Sigma?!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 pm

@The Big Ouchy wrote:A mechanical keyboard uses a physical switch that is activated about midway through the keypress. Many of them also produce a distinctive sound when the switch is activated which allows you to know precisely when the signal is sent that the key was indeed pressed. This can help you learn to type without pressing down all the way to the bottom of the keystroke which, according to some people, saves time and allows you to type faster. Some argue that its helps you know when you have "for sure" pressed a key, which is kind of stupid to me but whatever. Basically some people prefer the feel of them and they also enjoy the idea of spending a crapton of money on a new kind of keyboard which is actually an old kind of keyboard.

uh... no, it's not just for the "feel" and "spending a crapton of money". it's vastly superior to normal keyboards if you're playing a game that has a lot of keyboard apm, for example starcraft, where top players press on average 2-2.5 keys per second for 15 minutes straight, all over the keyboard. if I had a mechanical keyboard back when I was playing starcraft competitively, I would probably perform a lot better. if you're just using it for regular stuff and playing a non-keyboard intensive game of something here and there, then you don't really need a mechanic keyboard.

different mechanical keys (different key "color") give more or less resistance to a keypress. some activate by heavier presses, and some activate by lightly pressing them. some do not really give a tactile feedback that they've been pressed, while some do. some make a sound when pressed, some don't.

obviously, for a game I described, you'd probably want a combination of not having to press too much to activate a button, and a button that doesn't provide too much resistance (but that doesn't just slide too easily either), have tactile feedback of the press, so you know when you've pressed it and can move on. keypress sound is probably good, but it's more a thing of preference.

@Will:
well, you have to try the keyboard before you buy it... duh. if the key spacing is too far, then you should have chosen one where it isn't as far.

@Ohmarinus:
Love that keyboard. the key distances/placement is very similar to the one I currently use. (my keyboard is old like 10+ years though, and not mechanical lol).

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inertia on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 am

@Quirinus I was high diamond last season in sc2 with about 120-150 average apm, and use a basic logitech k120 keyboard. I'm not saying you're wrong on anything you said, but I have never noticed any direct problems related to my keyboard while playing. Do you think mechanical keyboards are really that crucial for sc2? Should I bother trying out a mechanical keyboard?

Edit: btw I'm not bragging about being high diamond at all lol. It's definitely not great or anything, just that I'd say my apm is almost as high as most top players in the ladder.

Inertia
Astral Guardian

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 am

Back in the olden days, when I used to play Brood War on WGTour and then later ICCUP before all the koreans moved to Fish, I had around 180 apm when I was practising 5-6 hours a day (highest rank B+ if you ever played on these).

That was with a crappy standard office keyboard. Same reason why Brood War pros used Logitech USB mini (10$ a piece) mice instead of any type of "gaming mouse". Simply put apm and reaction speed don't depend that much on peripherals as companies will have you believe.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:02 am

@Inertia: sorry, not to rain on your parade, but:

high diamond =/= competitive.  Tongue 2

you wouldn't notice it that much if your apm range is 120-150 and you're in high diamond. you'd have to play competitively at a decent level (tournaments, cw, nw, wcs, lans, etc.) and train specifically for things, while keeping at least 150 apm constantly (depends on race). people don't talk much about this, but apm spikes are very important (usually happen during intense battle). better tools (keyboard, mouse, etc.) -->  higher apm spikes --> can sometimes easily lead to better results, even if your average apm is still almost the same.

well, I can't say that much because I don't really use a mechanical keyboard, but from what I've tried, it's a LOT easier for me to play on one (and I do have more than enough experience/skill to judge this /brag).

Last edited by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 am

@suchbalance wrote:Back in the olden days, when I used to play Brood War on WGTour and then later ICCUP before all the koreans moved to Fish, I had around 180 apm when I was practising 5-6 hours a day (highest rank B+ if you ever played on these).

That was with a crappy standard office keyboard. Same reason why Brood War pros used Logitech USB mini (10$ a piece) mice instead of any type of "gaming mouse". Simply put apm and reaction speed don't depend that much on peripherals as companies will have you believe.

they used mini mouse because it's lighter and can be held/moved more easily. at least that's why I would use one, I was considering buying it.

I had easily over 200 average BW apm (~145 sc2 apm), and played with a bunch of top people. I've also played lots of tournaments, lans, cws, nws, wcgs, etc. I've trained specifically for concentration, mind performance, for different aspects of micro, tactics, strategy, map planning, conventional/unconventional/new builds, I've explored various peripheral setups and out of game influences... people do not realize how much a simple thing like your chair/table height, air temperature, food or music can affect your performance.

I even trained a few people to like B+, and a friend from playing the fastest map (so a total newb) to repeatedly beating mid korean pros (he can easily reach Olympic rank on iccup... in sc2 terms, that's mid/top GM on korean server).
at my top, my skill was probably around B with almost all matchups at one point on iccup (tho I never really played for ranks), but by then almost everyone I knew was stopping playing so I quit, especially since there wasn't that much opportunity to play bw, nor did I have the time to do it anymore. probably could have gotten much higher.

/brag (this is how you brag, Inertia XD)

so when I say keyboards matter, then they do. ;P
maybe not for you, but for me they do, and for many other people.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 am

Nice, what was your ID at that time? Might have played you randomly on ladder. What race did you play btw? (For some reason I think it's protoss Razz)

E: and yeah iccup ranks don't mean much if you play during non-korean hours as many of my friends did Very Happy

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:42 am

it was pretty much always Quirinus (a bunch of quirinus accounts), with a bunch of random smurfs.

I played all races/matchups, protoss probably the least (along with zvz). Razz

my main matchups were different at different points, but they pretty much almost always included a mix of terran and zerg, except a while where I played pvt (it's funny how until like ~B every terran can beat himself with protoss even though it's his off-race). so at different points I had for my main matchups: tvz, tvp, zvt, zvp, pvt.

what was your ID/race?

Last edited by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum