What the fuck is good about a "mechanical keyboard"?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What the fuck is good about a "mechanical keyboard"?

Post by Inertia on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 am

@Quirinus wrote:@Inertia: sorry, not to rain on your parade, but:

high diamond =/= competitive.  Tongue 2

you wouldn't notice it that much if your apm range is 120-150 and you're in high diamond. you'd have to play competitively at a decent level (tournaments, cw, nw, wcs, lans, etc.) and train specifically for things, while keeping at least 150 apm constantly (depends on race). people don't talk much about this, but apm spikes are very important (usually happen during intense battle). better tools (keyboard, mouse, etc.) -->  higher apm spikes --> can sometimes easily lead to better results, even if your average apm is still almost the same.

well, I can't say that much because I don't really use a mechanical keyboard, but from what I've tried, it's a LOT easier for me to play on one (and I do have more than enough experience/skill to judge this /brag).
Yeah I definitely don't see high diamond as competitive at all (especially on NA), I just mentioned it because it's not super unlikely for a high diamond to have pretty high apm. But yeah, I can see how apm spikes play a factor in key precision.

I wish I got more into BW, but I was just way too young to understand it on a competitive level, and I probably didn't even know tournaments existed for it until sc2. I like sc2 though, I just don't really play that much because getting really good seems pointless for someone like me. I could never play starcraft 2 "for fun" though, so I pretty much just watch tournaments/streams.

Not to mention Blizzard doesn't give a shit about starcraft 2 anymore, but that's a whole different topic. Very Happy
Inertia
Astral Guardian

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:20 am

meh, maybe it's better. playing on a competitive level requires a really high degree of practice and dedication. which takes too much time and effort for a game that's not even really a big/viable esport.

don't get me wrong, high diamond is pretty ok in general. not many people are there and higher. and probably not on this forum. Smile

Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Interesting. I have always prefered, as a writer, to have mechanical keyboards for typing--hell I do most of my first drafting on an old Corona manual typewriter--because of the superior typing experience, but it never occured to me that serious gamers would also prefer them for similar reasons.

My favorite keyboard are actually fairly old. I am typing this on one of the early generation Microsoft Ergo keyboards--five bucks at a flea market. I have another PS/2 keyboard that is an excelent typing HP keyboard--this one is almost as good as an old IBM-1 keyboard. The absolute best computer keyboard for typing was the original Commodore 64 keyboard. Those thing never got soggy no matter how many hours you put on them.

Haven't tried any of the modern mechanical boards because the PS/2 connector is still ubiquitous on motherboards and I can buy old high quality mechanicals so cheaply.
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 pm

lol yea them old typewriters are sexy and feel nice to type on. my mom typed a lot on typewriters at her work so I tried a bunch of them. there's nothing quite so satisfying as feeling that mechanical force resist your press and then stamping down on the paper. and then just machinegunning it with a long text. Mr Green

though some of the typewriters give too much resistance for gaming use.

yep, many of the new keyboards are crap to me. that's why I keep a really old computer keyboard too. Very Happy (aside from saving money by not having to buy a new one, lel)

they don't produce my keyboard anymore. it died at one point, but I was lucky enough to find the same keyboard in the hallway in front of my apartment a day after - my neighbor was throwing old computer stuff away right at that time. what a lucky coincidence. so I got to keep using the same one all this time.

edit: on a semi-related note, I always wanted to get used to some kind of dvorak key setup, but can never get around to actually do it. it would be so great to use one instead of having to clumsily type all over the keyboard all the time.

Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Q-dog,

You should do a search for "Programmer's Dvorak" which is a Dvorak keylayout with all the special characters in positions optimized for C-family programming languages.
grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by romanN1 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:17 am

laptop keyboards ftw Very Happy
romanN1
The Smith

Mr. Nice Guy

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/winstonjaegarn

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 am

@grimjerk wrote:Q-dog,

You should do a search for "Programmer's Dvorak" which is a Dvorak keylayout with all the special characters in positions optimized for C-family programming languages.

yea looks nice. I hope I can get to learn it one day. qq

Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum