Roguelikes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roguelikes

Post by suchbalance on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Any fans of the genre here besides me? Posting this because a really fun roguelike rpg got released in early access last week: Darkest Dungeon.

I've sunk half a dozen or so hours in it over the weekend and so far the difficulty, setting and premise look excellent.

If you've never played a game like this before I suggest you give it a go - it's cheap on steam or you could always torrent it. Games in this genre are characterised by a "hardcore" approach. You control a character or party and explore dungeons / find upgrades / level up / do quests, but if you die then you will lose those character(s). Often these games can be quite unfair towards the player if you get bad rng and make you flip a table, but are highly addictive as you always want to see how far you can go and if you can take down all the bosses. Case in point - the  guy in the below video loses one of his characters in the tutorial quest Very Happy

Here is a random let's play of it on youtube:

Other similar games I've played that I like: Legend of Grimrock - awesome combination of a roguelike rpg and interesting puzzles. A homage to the "dungeon crawlers" of old, like Eye of the Beholder (if there are any other old farts around that know what I am talking about).

Sword in the Stars: The Pit - this is set in the future rather than in medieval times. Pretty much the biggest content wise roguelike, that I've played at least. Has an active community and semi-frequent expansions, vast crafting system that you have to unlock recipes for while playing so even if you die you still have gained something to help you on your next run.

Last edited by suchbalance on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roguelikes

Post by mahitovec on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:20 pm

i might try it out, i did enjoy first log pretty much

mahitovec
Shadowgate Totem

TGBest Transferred

View user profile http://www.twitch.tv/d0sm0t

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Nice, post how you get on. I've just made it to week 6, mostly rotating between crusader/barbs for tanks; bounty hunter / occultist for dps and vestial for heal seems OP. I haven't tried the other classes so not sure if i'm missing out on something.

Also lol, my second barb developed "flagellance" basically she cant go to the tavern now to reduce her stress cus she farts too much Laughing

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RAD-82 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:30 am

I feel like this topic hasn't gotten enough attention.

I've added Darkest Dungeon to my Steam wishlist, but I don't really want to play it until it is actually finished.

Here is a random review for the game.  Based on the YouTube videos I've watched, it seems to be a pretty good review.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001682828/recommended/262060/

RAD-82
Bone Sorcerer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:27 pm

In all honesty the game is in a pretty polished state already and not waiting for its release won't spoil your enjoyment. This is because the new content that will be added on release are more character classes, and two other dungeon types. All of this is not available currently, but all other systems of the game are functional.

Basically one way to think about this early access is as the release. And the release as the expansion. In all fairness more and more games nowadays use "beta" phases to actually trial/promote the full game and the release to merely add content on top.

I managed to beat the apprentice necro, hag and swine prince. So only 3 more bosses to go. One thing you have to prepare yourself when playing this game is that you will never be able to develop a perfect character like in diablo.  Even when at max level, and using the best equipment/skill upgrades and the best trinkets you can still get one shot by an unlucky critical when debuffed in the levels or by bosses. So be prepared to contain the rng rage and not get too attached to the characters Very Happy

In case ppl want to trial the game but don't feel like purchasing yet, here's a link to the most recent build:
Spoiler:
Remember kids, if you like the game support the devs & buy it!

http://kickass.to/darkest-dungeon-build-7692-t10251547.html

EDIT: In terms of a skill aspect though, the gameplay is a bit lacking. Much better roguelikes in my opinion are the others I posted: sots the pit and legend of grimrock.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Oh man, I love roguelikes! The three mentioned in the OP are some of the better "new" ones, but I have played a whole slew of them over the past few years and I'd like to add my 2 cents to this thread.

First and foremost is my favorite roguelike, Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a little bit more shallow than most "true" roguelikes in terms of gameplay depth, but its pick-up-and-play accessibility is one of its greatest features. Also, it is hilarious- the main character, male or female, have absurdly overdone eyebrows, for example, and "WANTED" posters of you that are scattered around the dungeon highlight your eyebrows as a distinctive feature. One of the skill trees is "Emomancy"... I mean shit, that's funny. Also, diggles. While it's a bit on the shallower side, though, the game does have a lot of things going for it- a pretty slick crafting interface (yes, you can craft your own gear!), a neat enchanting system through in-game "altars", a player crafting system (encrust your armor with cheese!), a lot of skill trees and nearly infinite combinations of them, and really good music. The music is so good I found the composer's bandcamp and bought the OST. This is the first game, ever, that I have bought the OST. It also has Steam Workshop support and many mods are of very high-quality and expand the game dramatically (more items, skill trees, monsters, areas, etc). The game is a steal, currently half-off on Steam making the complete edition (all 3 DLC packs) cost less than 4 bucks. Full price is 7. I could go on, but if you're hesitant to get into the deep, brutal, permadeath world that is roguelikes, Dungeons of Dredmor is THE best place to start (that I've found).

Another one I am having a hell of a lot of fun with- and it's definitely unique- is Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's a rogue-lite, meaning there's not really a lot of hardcore features/depth. The draw to the game, though, is that all of your movements have to be timed to the music... and the music is fantastic! You can also upload your own tracks to the game and its "beat-sensor" will automatically adjust the game's speed to match your new track. It's in beta right now but every minute with the game has been an absolute pleasure. The levels are short- once a track finishes, you fall to the next level automatically- but it keeps the game "bite-sized" and not the sort of thing you have to devote hours to in order to get anywhere (since most roguelikes feature permadeath). Another good intro to roguelikes, or to those of you who like rhythm games... or really, any game with an awesome electronic-slash-chiptunes soundtrack. Also, the fact the shopkeeper sings the song to the level you're on when you get near him is so fucking cute my eyeballs roll back in my head and fall out my butt every time.

The truest roguelike I continue to play is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup- it's a free roguelike with tiles for the slightly less ASCII-biased individual (like myself). Features pretty much all of your typical roguelike rules, and while it's pretty tough, it still feels really accessible and I pretty rarely feel like I die unfairly. The tiles have a lot of charm. Also, it supports K+M input for many of the controls!

The last one I'd like to suggest is Abyss Odyssey. It's only very loosely a roguelike- probably better to call it a roguelite, tbh- but it has one of the greatest art styles of any game I've ever played. It's a randomly-generated Metroidvania with fighting game controls (combos, cancels, guarding, etc). Took me a while to get used to but it's super cool. Also, as the community defeats the final boss over and over, new content gets added, which is a neat draw. It plays really well on a controller; K+M controls were really awful for me.

I've been wanting to get Darkest Dungeon, but honestly 20 bucks is a lot for a roguelike that isn't even officially released. It's on my wishlist, and I know I'm going to buy it eventually, but I can't justify the price right now. At least it's good to hear the game is a lot of fun. Smile

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Tales Of Maj'Eyal: Age Of Ascendancy:
http://te4.org/

It's fun, free (there is a bonus paid expansion tho, iirc), and you can customize the difficulty (you can make it a true roguelike with just 1 life, or you can have more lives, plus increasing the general difficulty). It has nice graphics and effects. There are various mods and game modes (it's easily moddable). The default one has a story that you follow, and a static world with random events/monsters/dungeons.

I also played the oooold Mordor game...
That was really fun even though I didn't make it lower than like 5 levels.

Castle of the Winds was also an awesome old game.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 pm

@Borgin wrote:~

Oh yeah Dungeons of Dredmor, how could I forget that one! I used to play it ages ago, back when I was still in school I believe, so not entirely sure which iteration it was. I got fed up with my spellcasters dying to traps on lower levels (holy shit they were so OP) and basically rage quit one day Very Happy

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:34 am

Yeah I had a hard time playing casters; either things died in one or two casts, or you'd die in just a few hits. Glad to hear there's another player- I've never met anybody else who has enjoyed it, much less played it!

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Decided to start a new grimrock 2 run, so I figured I might as well post some screenshots.

Hard difficulty, ironman rules (can't save on demand). Bit of a weird party setup.

Front row tanks are a human rogue who will be dual wielding daggers and focus on pure evasion, ignoring armour. Other dude is an insectoid knight (usually mage race) with the chitin armour trait, heavy weapons + shield and stacking protection.

Back row: can't go wrong with the classic wizard in full energy spec and fire magic skill to begin with for maximum damage mxl style; decided to also try a ratman alchemist with guns  Laughing  - most efficient with limited herbs on maps and 50% lower chance for firearms to jam (although they always do when you need the extra dmg Very Happy).

Spoiler:
Shipwrecked with no loot

Yes, it's a charging turtle Very Happy

Found a nice dagger for my rogue by nightfall

Non-suspicious boss arena #235

Of course avoid always fails when you need it most

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next