Roguelikes

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roguelikes

Post by suchbalance on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Just solved a very fun multi-stage puzzle in the game. I'm posting the final part for others to take a crack. Cookie for you if you can solve part II.

The map:

You are in this room, which is full of pressure plates. Your party is located at the yellow arrow and its direction shows which direction you are facing (currently north). You can move one step at a time in each of the four directions.

The goal is to press the correct pressure plates in the right order. (there is no pressure plate at the starting location)

example:
A "path" for example would be taking the following steps: North - East - North - North - West

The Scroll:

You found this scroll after you cleared the entire dungeon of nasties and solved a few other puzzles. Use it to decipher the bellow paths.

Part I. Unlock the archives:

Part II (Hard). Unlock the storage:

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:38 pm

I've actually just started LoG (the first one)- never really played through it. Been able to do every puzzle so far without a walkthrough but some of them have taken me way too long.

The above puzzle is probably something that I would brute-force. MAYBE if I could unlock the archives by chance I could get the storage unlocked as well but I'm an idiot so probably not.

[edit]
Oh wait, I think I got it.
North two. West one. East two. South one. West two.

As for the second part, I'm not sure what "pala" and "lam" mean, but I'm guessing the whole puzzle is basically the first one with one twist- direction matters. The first one just gives directions so it's clearly compass directions. The second one, though, starts with a direction- so it means you start the puzzle facing east (and then the "north" direction here actually just means "forward"). If I had to guess, "pala" and "lam" are "turn right" and "turn left", though I'm unsure which is which. Oh, and "ko" is three. I'm guessing something like:
Face east. Forward 2. Turn left. Forward 2. Turn left twice. Move to your left 1. Turn right three times. Move backwards 3.
I don't think this is quite right because I think that means your "move left 1" move actually just bumps you into the wall; I'd have to not be posting on my phone and be able to spend some real time looking at it. The more I look at it, though, the more I'm sure I'm on the right track- the scroll even has "pala" and "lam" on it but unmarked. The second puzzle might actually start you moving one space east and then my whole thing is screwed up, but it's hard to tell. I bet I could do the second part in less than 5 tries in-game, I'd just need to eliminate a few possibilities.

Nice puzzle. Smile

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerger on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Log(2) = log(1)^2

Seriously, if you like Grimrock 1, Grimrock 2 is much better in every aspects (except some puzzles if you are not fluent in English)

On my side, my top 3 roguelikes, which are all free:

1 - Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup: Amazing content, regular updates with more contents. It made me totaly forget Nethack (which is still quite good), fights are much more interestings, religions have a true impact to your gameplay, and the interface is pretty good and simple to use. A must have !!!

2 - Dwarf Fortress of course ! The only game when you can create a subway artificial waterfall in which you can evacuate the dead corpses of your enemies while your dwarfs are relaxing watching them falling. The UFO of the video games

3 - Cataclysm : Dark Days Ahead: When Walking Dead meets Left 4 Dead ! This game has been quite improved the last years and is now reaching the amazingness of Dwarf Fortress... You can build a car powered by zombies attracted by pieces of meat attached in front of them !
zerger
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Borgin wrote:

Nice puzzle. Smile

You got the first one Razz

As for the second one you already know what "lam" is - it's on the scroll, so the only hard part is figuring out what "pala", "faam" and "te" on its own mean. I can definitely say you're on the right track - there's a reason why I posted the map. Basically once you try out stuff for the above unknowns if it's not the right answer you'll be stuck against the wall, which allows you to rule out stuff until you've the right answer. And yeah it's easier in game because you get instant feedback by hitting the wall with your face when you're wrong Very Happy

Good to hear that you've started Grimrock 1, that game took an unknown small Finnish developer "Almost human games" from nobodies in my mind to someone whose new games I will try out for sure.

Some parts of the original game in my mind are superior to the sequel. Mainly the atmosphere is just way better - being dumped in this prison with the promise of freedom, the mysterious voices in your sleep, the scattered notes of a previous inhabitant married to the suspense of going deeper makes for a great setting. In addition the level design seems slightly better (btw something I did not realise for ages was that you can drop into pits, and it's very often worth doing so despite the injuries. Initially I thought it just meant death but I was wrong Very Happy).

The second game is also very very good, most notably it improves on the first one by having a lot more content, an open world, more varied levels (so it's not just a dungeon the whole time), more varied character classes and more "special challenge" classes, more satisfying combat (some enemies dodge your attacks or are harder to dance around) an arguably better skill system and many more. Both just really great games fusing together arpgs and roguelikes I'd say.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Glad to hear LoG 2 is a great sequel- sequels tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth (see Diablo 3). Will definitely pick it up and play through it after I beat the first!

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum