Median XL: Zeta announced

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Median XL: Zeta announced

Post by Pikarus on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 pm

@munkyh3ad wrote: So why not just keep the Ultimative in the name, like Ultimative Zeta? I think this would make it intuitive that it's the latest one in the series, without having to crosscheck dates between releases to figure which is the newest.

This is logical and community oriented. EDIT: However, more logic lies in Marco's post below.

Cookie.

Last edited by Pikarus on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Pikarus
Daystar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:28 pm

I have to disagree with the naming suggestion in the above two posts.

1) Ppl still get confused and download cMXL even now. So the assumption that ultimative is easily figured out as the successor to MXL is false.

This is mainly because a google search of "median xl" brings up Laz's site as the top hit and not this one + download link not easily visible here (how are noobs supposed to know "XVc Released" = Download here, they probably don't even know XVc refers to a version number because of roman numerals...).

Solution: New website already has a much more obvious download link, now just need to make Laz page download redirect to it instead of downloading a 3 year old version that no one would play if they knew it was not supported / no community for it.

2) "Median XL: Ultimative: Zeta" sounds retarded. Median XL: Ultimative XVI also does not make sense because of the nature of the update and the fact that gameplay/philosophy is moving away from the Ultimative series - i.e. a new name under the median umbrella is required for sure.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 pm

So is this gonna be released sometime soon or soonTM?
Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by powtek on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:43 pm

@Asteroth wrote:So is this gonna be released sometime soon or soonTM?

He said that Zeta will be up as soon as we get our new website.
powtek
Spike Beast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 pm

And the new website is still WIP, and i can't find a date for that one either, which is why I asked
Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:57 pm

@munkyh3ad wrote:Couldn't this cause some confusion, with another name change i mean? For ex so far there is mostly Median XL and Median XL - Ultimative videos on youtube, with the latter being more popular in the search results. But now with a few Zeta called patches coming i don't think everyone will catch on that it exists or that it follows Ultimative, since it won't overthrow the other 2 in popularity (i presume it will have a shorter life span until it really becomes Sigma). So let's say someone that played the mod 3+ years ago wants to come back, normally it could look up some gameplay videos and easily figure that Ultimative comes after XL, but might miss that a Zeta patch is the actual one to play at the moment. So why not just keep the Ultimative in the name, like Ultimative Zeta? I think this would make it intuitive that it's the latest one in the series, without having to crosscheck dates between releases to figure witch is the newest.

As I try to explain in my post, Ultimative was a key word that enabled people to distinguish between classic MXL and the 'new' spinoff, but eventually it became the standard so I feel it is wrong that we still have ultimative in the name. The ultimative word has always caused some trouble and confusion, and while removing it now might cause more confusion, it will pay off in the long run because not having it, is the way things should be.

Even so, I don't think it should cause many confusions. Median XL started adopting an extended version format name since Omega, where even Laz himself likes to call them "Median XL Omega" or "Median XL 2012" as a whole. So following this logic, we had "Median XL Ultimative", now we'll have "Median XL Zeta" and then we'll have "Median XL Sigma".

As for people being able to find it or not; the mod will be published inside Ultimative category in ModDB, that's for sure. Ideally this should be called Median XL, but, for obvious reasons, Laz is still the unique owner of MXL mod in ModDB. Do not forget that Zeta will get it's own attention as most people reading it will notice "hey I haven't played this one".

Last but not least, moving to a new forum and having an own actual host will make things a lot easier. We'll have a much more straight forward homepage where people will know which mod is the latest.

Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by allasktulu on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Holy shit, yes!

allasktulu
Invader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexen on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 am

Awesome can't wait! So will there be another alpha phase? Twisted Evil
Sexen
Howling Spirit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inertia on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:29 am

Awesome! Cheers!
Inertia
Astral Guardian

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:27 am

Are you going to include any code edits in this version, or just major balance changes? I know whist did a ton of code edits, but I presume some of those could be used now, and this would be a nice test before Sigma is released to ensure there aren't many problems with code edits... as in, they may have to be reworked to work on all systems properly. Just a thought. Any btw, very excited to hear this! Cookie, ofc!
taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum