Melee barbarian Need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Melee barbarian Need advice

Post by Kurne on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:08 am

So first question, playing around with slow, got two two-handed swords that have slows target by 30% on both of them.  that's 60% total, put on switch on barbarian, and hit enemies with thunderslam and the slow didn't affect them at all...?  

i need to know what is the best method to go to improve my barbarian the most

He hasn't gotten all charms yet, but he has got a few (courtesy of my elemental druid/totemmancer, same with weapons/armor)

He uses

Headsman
1 handed hand axe
One-Hand Damage: (1185-1222) to (2193-2231)
Durability: 22
Required Strength: 376
Required Level: 100
Adds Strength Damage Bonus: (51/256 per Strength)%
50% CtC lvl 13 Earthquake on Attack
Indestructible
+(151 to 200)% Enhanced damage
50% Faster Run/Walk
25% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 1000-2000 damage
150% Bonus to Attack Rating
250% Extra Gold from Monsters
100% Magic Find
+(3 to 5) to Light Radius
Socketed: 3

Rota Solaris
barbarian bronze shield
Defense: (4683-6118)
Chance to Block: 1%
Durability: 59
(Barbarian only)
Required Strength: 552
50% CtC lvl 21 Fire Splash on Attack
50% Increased Attack Speed
+(151 to 200) to Maximum Damage
+50% Damage to Undead
+(31 to 40)% to Fire Spell Damage
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
Blinds Attacker +(2 to 4)
+(201 to 250)% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +(51 to 60)%
+4 to Light Radius
Socketed:

(shield is ethereal with just over 8000 defense)

Dragonheart
Level 94

0-5 Jewels
+Kra
Body Armors
+2 to All Skills
50% Increased Attack Speed
+(3.5 per level)% Enhanced Defense (Based on Character Level)
+500 to Life
Level 15 Blood Flash (20 Charges)

(primarily junk jewels, didn't have descent ones on me at the time...  has just over 20,000 defense grand total.  this one i have used mystic orbs on to boost it's defense more. tis ancient armor sacred)

Apehand
Leather Gloves (Sacred)
Defense: (1014-1197)
Durability: 25
Required Strength: 341
2% Chance to cast level 37 Powder Keg when you Kill an Enemy
+(101 to 150) to Life
+(101 to 150) to Mana
Fire Resist +(41 to 50)%
Poison Resist +(41 to 50)%
Damage Reduced by (41 to 50)
Requirements -25%
Socketed: 4

because i don't have any better for gloves.

Wolf's Fang
Assault Helmet (Sacred)
Defense: (2582-3286)
Durability: 53
(Barbarian only)
Required Strength: 456
(3 to 6)% Life stolen per Hit
-15% Penalty to Summoned Minion Life
(11 to 15)% Bonus to Dexterity
+(31 to 50) to Vitality
+333 to Life

because i don't have anything better, and free set bonus for belt and boots.

Snake's Battle Chant
Plated Belt (Sacred)
Defense: (2940-3745)
Durability: 61
Required Strength: 606
(11 to 15)% Bonus to Energy
+(31 to 50) to Strength
+333 to Mana
+(31 to 40) Life on Striking in Melee
+(31 to 40) Mana on Striking in Melee
Slows Attacker by 5%
Socketed: 2

because i don't have anything better and free set bonus for boots and helm

Crane's Reach
Greaves (Sacred)
Defense: (1784-2341)
Durability: 81
Required Strength: 595
-15% Bonus to Summoned Minion Damage
(11 to 15)% Bonus to Vitality
+(31 to 50) to Dexterity
All Resists +10%
200% Extra Gold from Monsters
Socketed: 4

because i don't have anything better and free set bonus for belt and helm.

i am using a death ward's ring +4 to skills (extra lucky reciepe)
and 2 empryean bands.

i have not mystic orbed anything other than the body armor.  This is due to fear of messing up sacreds and being unable to reverse the orbing (playing on realm!)

i put 25 points into bear and made primary stance because i lack any damage reduction.... whatsoever....

attempting to keep daedaus 23 points, wolf companion 26, spirit guide  23, and nephealum weapons 11 as high as i can keep them skill point wise.  These numbers do not include soft point bonuses.

one point into other obvious skills that would benefit a melee barb (mountain king), melee tree, etc.

Primary abilities are thunder slam, SoR, Stormblast.  i tried putting two two-handed swords on switch for free 60% slows target.  but that went to shit when tested so yeah :\...

i have not put runes or mystic orbs into anything yet.

both level challenges done, butchers tooth, upgraded crystalline flame medallion, demonsbane +2 to barb, legacy of blood, harkon, lvl challenge 1 sunstone on,  optical detector,
class cham with endhead/ lvl challenge 2 on it.  2/3 mini games done.  gathering vet tokens now.

with everything on and running as of right now

900 str
359 dex
806 vitality
154 energy

10389 life
2436 mana

376,000 defense with wolves + bear stance on.
10,000 attack rating.

i am still working my way through terror, but i am concerned about destruction difficulty.  I would like for someone to take a minute or two (preferably instead of trolling me about posting a likely already made similar topic -.-....  the search feature doesn't work quite as well as yall think it does when yall make posts saying to use the search rather than just answering w/e kid's question,  but not my place i guess.  i only take a moment to use the search on what yall tell them to search for only to find that it doesn't appear when done Smile  (on the ones i tried anyways ::disclaimer::  ))

So if anyone knows roughly where i would be at upon their own experience* I know i lack life leech, but i'm not sure if it will be worth it on destruction difficulty... it is rather difficult to choose the right mystic orb on a weapon at level 100 already... please lemme know some good* ideas on what mystic orbs to use, runes to socket, revamps to the build i've made, what's going on with the double two handed swords doing 0 slow, etc)

I would really appreciate it. thank you! Very Happy!

Kurne
Siren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Melee barbarian Need advice

Post by Fumbles on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 am

My suggestion would be to re-spec and choose rune master instead of nephalem weapons.

Then put all the points you had in bear stance into snake stance. Snake stance also slows enemies so rather then use swords you can just switch to snake and achieve the same thing and also poison the whole screen. I don't think it will be as much slow as swords and I can't comment as to why they aren't working but snake is better then nothing. 1pt storm blast should suit you well for main attack.

For armor, just keep looking until you find a Nih rune. It offers 15% dr iirc and you can get 1-2% more from luck/bless oil. You will need to re craft armor as nih rune is req lvl of 100.

Since you're only melee and not dual wield, avoid putting points into dual wield tree. The exception would be a few into daedalus for attack rating but you shouldn't need much in terror.

Fill up all your sockets with with runes. Make sure you have resistances maxed. As you get more charms, you will be able to replace those runes with others. Everytime you enter a game, remove each piece of gear and put it back on. There is a bug that prevents barbs receiving benefits of runemaster unless you re equip your rune filled gear.

I didn't wanna make a huge wall and I'm sure someone else has some good advice but gl with everything.

Fumbles
Mangler

TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBlackZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 am

A twinked char?

Items:
- Rune: Leave no socket blank, put everything useful there, recommendly runes with your primary attributes (Vit or Str, your choices Wink ) or Jah rune, while using RM as your Uskill.
- MO: not quite sure, but E.DEF or E.DMG or AR should be the one to assign priority to. Hmm... Or some -X%Enemy res Thinking .
Actually I believe you have 2 choices: Slow, or if this doesn't help or fit your style, then go for dmg and speed.
For slow, I suppose you can follow what Fumbles said

However I prefer some types of dmg that is not limited someway in late game, and poison dmg is not a very good way to kill uber bosses. So if you wanna try then find some sources of AR, even 25k is not enough (try using FeatherClaw??), and invest in multiple-hit skills and -ER of that dmg type.

Finally, I wanna know,
@Kurne wrote:i am still working my way through terror, but i am concerned about destruction difficulty
How did you get those charms and SUs while still in Terror difficulty?

P.s: I believe a little clearer in your post must be a lot better, I found it slightly inconvenient reading the part you mentioned your skills Very Happy .

MrBlackZ
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm

The slow on your off hand weapon doesn't count as t-slam is a primary hand weapon attack.

Snake Stance is not the best choice for a primary stance for a Stormblaster because poison damage doesn't take advantage of the multi-hit nature of Stormblast.

You are focusing too much on gear and shit and less on play skill. You could take a Stormblaster/IceBurster deep into Destruction with your build (Switching out Neph Weapons for Runemaster) gearing with TUs.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurne on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm

well my theory was mass slow on switch high defenses with wolves and bear stance.. i'd rather not give up 25 points for slow effect that an on switch weapon can handle...

it still didn't feel like any slow was applied, not even 30% but i see the concept.

wouldn't losing nephaelam weapons remove my sources of elemental damage? it's why i sorta don't want to swap to runemaster :\...

i put the 25% enhanced damage rune into the weapon and it increased it's damage from 2200 to 2214.... not exactly 25% so :\ yeah @.@....

with that in mind i shouldn't put the enhanced damage mystic orbs into the weapon because they would be insignificant as well? the proc mystic orbs in the weapon maybe?
so jah runes would be the best bet plus switch to runemaster and make primary attack stormblast/ice blast thing...?

should i keep bear stance up for best results in survivability? and let go of points into wolf spirit ability because of runemaster doing same job?

i got the charms from running with alt characters (elemental druid for some n totemmancer for judgment day)

Kurne
Siren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBlackZ on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 am

@Kurne wrote:wouldn't losing nephaelam weapons remove my sources of elemental damage? it's why i sorta don't want to swap to runemaster :\

Exactly. However, you have massive DEF, plus Bear instead of investing heavily in SG and having trouble keeping the buff while the wolves run and run.

Moreover, elemental dmg is not that important. All you need is 2 sources of dmg, 1 elemental and 1 magic or even elemental too Razz . That's fairly enough for farming ubers, as most monsters only have one elemental immunity, so something on switch is truely awesome. If you can't kill a mob with one element, just use the other. You even only need one source of non-poison dmg to fight heroic bosses.

@Kurne wrote:i put the 25% enhanced damage rune into the weapon and it increased it's damage from 2200 to 2214.... not exactly 25% so :\ yeah @.@....with that in mind i shouldn't put the enhanced damage mystic orbs into the weapon because they would be insignificant as well? the proc mystic orbs in the weapon maybe?

Well it's exactly 25%, but the dmg increased actually depends on the base dmg of the weapon, and that of the axe you use is a real pain Happy head nod , its only viable source of dmg is 2000 maximum dmg, sadly it doesn't count as base. So, use something else, maybe -X%ER or procs.

@Kurne wrote:so jah runes would be the best bet plus switch to runemaster and make primary attack stormblast/ice blast thing...?
should i keep bear stance up for best results in survivability? and let go of points into wolf spirit ability because of runemaster doing same job?

Yeah, make primary atk SB/IB, switch to RM.
The Stance is up to you, Bear gives physical DR, Def and Dmg; Wolf give Speed, Dmg, Crushing blow; Eagle gives Regen.
And Wolf companion Thinking , I think 26 is good, but wonder if that is too much, maybe 15 or 20 is enough to apply hunter's mark. Anyway, don't let those points go, bcuz the bonus dmg it gives is really important when using multi-hit skills.

Finally

@Kurne wrote:i got the charms from running with alt characters (elemental druid for some n totemmancer for judgment day)
butchers tooth, upgraded crystalline flame medallion, demonsbane +2 to barb, legacy of blood, optical detector,

Throw them all,(were I you, I would Smile ) this makes the game so boring and no challenging at all. Even if you plan to run those ubers again with this char, what is the point if you've already got them and use them in terror?

MrBlackZ
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by looney-toons on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 am

nephalem weapons suck I tried that and now use bear stance with yaggi sagarias weapon since it has 100 to stormblast proc and a crafted 2 skill ancients hand barb helm. that will give you some serious attack power you just need to build around it. for instance SSSU leather gloves good 4 skill banish rare ammy and - res for fire/lite. you should be able to achieve at least 32 charms and 10 trophies with this setup. you will need some attack speed so get sky scorcher for the beacon buff and get shamanka staff for switch for bloodlust buff.

looney-toons
Living Flame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurne on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:16 am

tis only should i have those sssus to run with Cookie monster

i wouldn't want to throw them for all the hard work i did for them Smile (no trolling!!!) i earned them!!

thank ya for the advice!

Kurne
Siren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by looney-toons on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:27 am

I use honoriffics with faster block rate and fhr on gloves and boots, you don't neeed the sssu gloves at all, they just have a nice proc. only main item you need is the yaggi and a good armor. you can craft a good armor with shrines. then you can farm ta very easily for items.

looney-toons
Living Flame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum