Need help with improving a few chars

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with improving a few chars

Post by tantrika on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello everyone

I returned to MXL with Ultimative after a few years about a month or so ago. I played the last version Laz made before. After reading up on the forums I decided to make a caster and since I loved superbeast I went with unholy caster pally as my first char and also started making a few others because I like making new builds more than grinding forever for items in the end game, though I also do that when I feel like it Smile

Now to my questions. I need help with improving some chars and coming up with some more. Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

1. My paladin uses an Apostasy (luck upgraded, 9x life after kill), Wintermute helm, Avatar shield, Kali gloves and TU belt. Boots are a shitty fascinating craft with 30% fire damage. Using 1x emp band and 1x +1 skills ring with life and a 46% light/41% fire lamen of the archbishop amulet. Chest I was using Thelema RW but just switched to a Hratli's yesterday, socketed with MF runes, rest of the sockets are mostly Zod crafts. He has around 400% to both fire and lightning damage and -100% ER to both including superbeast bonus. He's got 10k life and mana. He also has most basic charms except CoV, which I keep sucking and failing at. I also have QT's charm. Only TA trophy. (I got the great runes through an unfair trade with a helpful guy before someone asks "how do you have those if you suck even at CoV" Smile )

Stats around 300 into vita, rest into energy. All signets eaten.

His skills: 1 pt in DA, SoD and the whole light influence tree, 20 in slayer, sMax stormlord, TB and superbeast, enough for 50% DR in blessed life, rest in mindflay. I don't have any buff items on switch yet.

I have 15-18k mind flay, 7-21k cataclysm. With this damage and 200k def with TB, I am not terribly tanky though I can farm TA easy if I keep moving. But I don't have enough damage to farm Dunc and get wrecked very fast. So I am looking how to improve this char, I think he needs more damage. Is there an easy way to improve my damage since I am not getting any SUs as upgrades. I am guessing Kali gloves is the weakest part. So any suggestions other than keep on farming TA? After the switch to Hratli's armor I started seeing a lot more sets there so maybe I should just farm up a good set and make another char to keep the boredom away.

2. 2nd char I did was a trap rat druid using set, deadfall and zealot rush, most sockets filled with p Amethysts. All signets eaten. He has the same charms with my pally except QT but he has Jitan's trophy. With a +8 druid skills staff on switch for buffing goodberries, he has 15k life in morph, 260k defense (this includes lifeshield smaxed), 68% block, 1% DR. 7-11k quill damage, Doom/TTAD amulet with lightning arena. He can kill stuff in Dunc thanks to the chaos being created by ratfink reanimates and due to morph he can take a barrel to the face if nothing else is damaging him. But as soon as I blink over he gets swarmed and killed. Is it just me sucking or is there something I am missing with this char that can enable me to farm Dunc? Is my only problem non-existent DR%? He can do TA pretty easily as well but slower than my pally.

3. I started making a dagger parasite necro. His early game is a little slow and he lacks survivability since I am using Compass of Souls which is low phys damage so insignificant leech. My question is, people on the forum generally suggest to newcomers melee nec with set for mid to late game, but how about dagger necro? Can he make do with runewords (I have another Sha'ad in my stash, so Mkodos RW is possible, and I also have SU gargoyle head with titan strike, stun attack and added dmg) or will I suffer until I get some better SU stuff? Can he farm comfortably with just

4. I have complete witchhunter set for Assassin and I am thinking about a twin fang strike build but I have concerns about survivability with a dual claw build. I also thought going with 4 set bonus for %100 crucify on attack to go with TFS + rare shield with ATMG for some utility and max block but that doesn't look too appealing. Can anyone suggest a good build to use with that set or should I just forget about it?

5. Is the psychic assassing any good? Skills looks weird but cool but I have only seen romaN1 testing shuriken flurry with tiefling form (hilarious animations btw  Very Happy ). How about the set for it and how does orb of annihilation work? Couldn't see a video of it and I don't want to commit to it. Any suggestions for a build on that?

6. I found Nimmenjuushin last weekend while farming Nihlathak for signets. As I don't like MXL barb and almost everything is weapon specific, is the treewarden best to utilise that? I only saw that axe in Marco's old TW guide as TW was my first char when I started MXL 2012 v005 with which I failed hard and I may do a TW if I got enough items for him but not sure. Any suggestions to use that axe other than that?

Again, sorry for the wall of text but I have been thinking for some time instead of posting all these individually. Any help and suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help with improving a few chars

Post by suchbalance on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Here are some comments on 1:

Gear: Your defence is really low. My paladin has double your defence and he's using a staff. So remake shield runeword in a Sacred crown shield, MO with 10x15%ED MOs before putting in the runeword.

Helm: Crusade in a Sacred Hundsgugel (eagle stance). Overpowered as hell. MO to 15x 15%ED before putting in rw as usual.  Rest can be fire spell dmg.

Gloves: Lamha are best in slot (SSU Gauntlets). If you don't have them then a Sacred Gauntlet ZOMG craft with 300% + ED and at least 20% fire spell damage and -enemy fire res.

Chest: Fascinating shrine crafted Sacred ancient armour. Stats you are looking for: FSD, -EFR, + 2 skills, 20% Vit or 300+ life and 250%+ ED. After blessing FSD and EFR can go up to 60% maximum so look for a good roll. Socket with JAH runes.

Replace empy band with another +1 skills + fire spell damage / -enemy psn res ring.

Boots:ZOMG crafted sacred greaves with fascinating shrine, look for +250% ED, FSD -EFR.

Belt:ZOMG crafted sacred plated belt with fascinating shrine, look for +250% ED, FSD -EFR.

Jewelcrafts: you need both 5-6% spell damage and flat energy factor here, look for flat life also if you don't mind farming the crystals.

MO all gear up to 350ED as first priority, you will have easily over -100efr so look to get -100epr to boost SoD damage. Then get a +3 skills devouring cloud amulet, preferrably with FSD to make it easier to kill fire immunes.

Stats: Half vitality half energy.

Ubers: this character is godly at soloing uberquests (although vanilla mind flay version is 100X better). Which bosses are you having trouble with? Post so we can give you some tips.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tantrika on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks for the tips suchbalance!

I made the shield with the first paladin shield I found and forgot to check other base items. I will do it first.

I don't really like D2 stances due to them occupying the right button slot but I will try that helm. Don't have SSU gauntlets yet so I will try all the crafts you mentioned. I will start looking for sacred ancient armor but I should have the rest of the base items. ZOMG crafts to avoid oskills and such while crafting?

I have 20 fascinating shrines and ~30 arcane crystals stashed, I will prioritize blessing the armor crafts then I will see about jewelcrafting. I am more worried about shrines because farming them is kinda boring but I gotta do what I gotta do Smile Also I have +1 skills/+30% fire dmg/14 vit/11 LaeK ring, I will switch out empy bands for that.

Do I really need devouring cloud to deal with fire immunes instead of mind flay? That seems like it will only help in Fauzt against neon fiends.

I had trouble with Baal due to lack of damage (though I haven't crafted for -199 res, it was a half-assed try with like -130). Also I had problems with Astrogha because I can't tank darklings so I end up killing statues a lot which ended with me dying. Eagle stance with more def should help though.

Couldn't try purify bosses since I got wrecked in Dunc due to slow killing and got frustrated and left it aside. Will try it again after your suggestions and after I get the ring will try the purify bosses. Did most summoning bosses except MNX, Zorun Tzin (I actually forgot to go to that area, not even killed Chrysaor yet), and Inarius's Revenge quest since I couldn't do CoV (that's on me though, I just failed as a player there I think).

Haven't tried Brachy or Ureh, got wrecked in Yshari, haven't tried Triune, Void, Startled witch or kabraxis either. Just figured that if I can't do Dunc can't do those either.

Will see after trying your suggestions. Thanks again!

P.S.: Also I actually like mindflay but cataclysm was just too cool to pass Smile

P.P.S.: Just found the SSU gloves while farming TA looking for sacred items Smile

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 pm

@tantrika wrote: ZOMG crafts to avoid oskills and such while crafting?

Pretty much, you are basically getting a 250%+ ED honorific item with double shrine bonus and lots of MO space as the rare affixes in these slots are not that great.

@tantrika wrote: I have 20 fascinating shrines and ~30 arcane crystals stashed, I will prioritize blessing the armor crafts then I will see about jewelcrafting. I am more worried about shrines because farming them is kinda boring but I gotta do what I gotta do Smile Also I have +1 skills/+30% fire dmg/14 vit/11 LaeK ring, I will switch out empy bands for that.

Yeah shrine farming can be tedious, but by the same token this gear is incredibly effective and cheap as chips. At least for me all kind of farming is tedious, so I rather invest the time in shrines and know I can get a guaranteed result (only hard to craft piece is the chest btw), rather than farm dozens of uberlevels and not get any upgrades for my character.

@tantrika wrote:Do I really need devouring cloud to deal with fire immunes instead of mind flay? That seems like it will only help in Fauzt against neon fiends.

Nope, but make sure you have -100 elr for mind flay. I always go for the dev cloud since when I play mind flay I use -100epr for SoD and it's a nice enough oskill when we already have that. But since you've put 20pts in slayers and points in MF anyways then there's no need to.

@tantrika wrote:Haven't tried Brachy or Ureh, got wrecked in Yshari, haven't tried Triune, Void, Startled witch or kabraxis either. Just figured that if I can't do Dunc can't do those either.

Will see after trying your suggestions. Thanks again!

Yeah those bosses which give + skill charms are great for all casters. Duncraig and Ureh and Brachy are really easy with this build due to incredible defensive stats and a short timered teleport. I suggest you go for these after you do CoV. For it, lure inarius and some minions into the starting room. Then tele over the wall, run down to the bottom left pillar and open a tp behind it to go to town. There summon hoplites and edyrems and re-enter. Nuns should really do no damage whatsoever. The left cleric casts mind flay which does decent damage, so if you are taking too much dmg from it replace some sockets in belt/gloves/boots with perfect ambers. Then it's just running around the ball and killing it.

Grats on the gloves! Have fun.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tantrika on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Ok, just a little update and another question. On my pally I replaced gloves with Lamha, crafted belt and boots, nothing steallar, remade my shield RW in the same shield (sacred heraldic) since I haven't seen any sacred crown shield but I also noticed I forgot to MO it with ED before RW Facepalm it got 3k more defense now that I made it properly. Also made a +11 eagle Crusade in a sacred hundsgugel. Though not sure if I really like to use cataclysm on left button, it just feels a little unhandy. I might switch back to mind flay if I am going to continue with eagle stance.

My survivability went up a little with 286k def and eagle stance regen though my mana is now 6.7k and I run out of it pretty quickly Cata dmg is 8-24k now. Still using Hratli's in chest slot because no sacred heavy armor yet and I don't want to try to craft on light plated armor (heaviest I have) because I have few shrines left. I finally did CoV and Inarius with like 4 deaths. I also tried buffing with hive from Klaatu amulet though it doesn't make much difference and also I don't see hives spreading? Vitality to energy buff stays when I take out the amulet but no hives floating. Is this normal?

I also made a little calculation and it looks like I will have like around 310-320k defence once I do the chest craft, that still won't be sufficient right? How much armor can I get on a sacred ancient armor with 350% ED, sth like 10-12k?

Gonna try Dunc now, after that maybe I will replace boots or belt for Astrogha.

Cheers!

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Crafted armour will be 15k defence with jah runes. Anything above 350k is good really, your shield should be giving something like 8-9k flat +? So once you get the majority of the skiller charms you should be sitting at around 400k at least very easily.

Eagle stance is not mandatory but very strong. To fix mana issues you can MO rings with mana regen - this issue will ameliorate once you get more damage too.

(Hopefully you did not forget to apply lucky bonus to RW's and crafts before MOing)

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tantrika on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeah, I did apply luck bonus though wasn't very lucky Smile My shield is 9.5k flat. I was trying to craft a chest armor and got one with -50 EFR/2 skills/ED after blessing so I socketed it with turquoises to try my hand against Belial but his life drain just wrecks me fast.

I have a ring with no MOs on it yet, will orb with regen, put jah runes in chest and try Astrogha next. I should be able to hit 350k with Jah runes.

Edit: Ok, got 340k def, still cant do Dunc, or Astrogha. Thinking it is my own skill rather than the char. Also need some practice for Ureh too, got lost a little bit and swarmed instantly. This is getting tiresome Very Happy though I am already ahead of what I could get a few years back.

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 pm

@tantrika wrote:Edit: Ok, got 340k def, still cant do Dunc, or Astrogha. Thinking it is my own skill rather than the char. Also need some practice for Ureh too, got lost a little bit and swarmed instantly. This is getting tiresome Very Happy though I am already ahead of what I could get a few years back.

Yes you are on to something here. What happens when you try an uber for the first time is that you get this panic rush and basically play bad because you are unfamiliar with the enemies/skills and generally don't have a clear picture of what you should be doing step by step.

"Dry runs" on Terror or Hatred for example are especially helpful with Ureh & Vizjun, because they require the same run Forest run strategy with this character and it is something you are not used to doing before. So I recommend going to Ureh on terror and trying to kill Juris Khan there. Only proceed to Destruction when you manage to do it. Do you have 95% poison resistance also? This is where knowledge of the ubers come in. If you are trying bosses for the first time, to save yourself some deaths I suggest you to check my Amazon guide. There I've written in detail the key points to watch out for in all the harder ubers, so you can apply that general knowledge more easily to your pally without doing the trial & error yourself.

Funny story: I played a self found bowzon this ladder and decided I'm gonna try Ureh with her for the first time ever on a zon. So I respec to spearzon, make Erawan runeword and use a T6 maiden pike and reach 800k def and 40% dr , 95% psn res from my gear. So far so good. Then however in the uber itself I forget to turn off running mode (because you don't walk with a bowzon) so essentially all my fancy defence was for nothing Very Happy . Funnily enough, despite this stupidity, I still managed to get to the narrow passage on my third try (having no short cooldown teleport like Divine aparition mind you) and only then did I realise what I had done!

So the point is - don't get discouraged, you will need to practice trickier stuff some times until it becomes internalised and you can control your character efficiently without panicking.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tantrika on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks for the tips and encouragement suchbalance. I will train with terror Ureh and Vizjun to see what should I be doing.

Though I took a little break to break up the frustration chain and playing my caster druid for now, lvl 79 at act 5 terror Smile my pally will always be my main farmer but I love making new chars and I still have a lot of builds to try out.

Cheers!

Edit: I had also leveled a pouncezon to 120 last week because I had found Ylfa Ban which was suggested on a lot of guides but she felt a little too squishy for a melee char compared to her damage and I shelved her until I find some better gear but I have the bow set and I am thinking of respeccing and giving that a try too.

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tantrika on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi again!

So I respecced my pouncezon to try out ecstatic bowzon last weekend with the full bow set. It is definitely a very strong build but getting used to it after playing uh pally and trap rat was a little too harsh as I haven't played such a squishy char before though they weren't all that tanky either Smile

It was more about me liking making new chars than discouragement though as I intend to return to my pally. I thought some and decided to go back to mindflay as it has more consistent damage and more importantly,higher range, as using cataclysm efficiently requires me to facehug monsters and even though unholy pally is not a paper cannon it definitely causes some issues.

Now I am thinking about using Ice runeword in a staff for shatter the flesh o skill to deal with immunes since I don't like devouring cloud's behaviour. StF also adds in a nice crowd control factor, and the LaeK on the staff (and possible +10 all skills) is very nice though %SD is low. Though I haven't done sewers at all yet for some reason even though people were suggesting to farm the boss there for SUs. What do you think about this runeword? I have concerns about losing my shield as I will lose a huge chunk of defence so it might not be worth it.

Also should I look for devouring cloud on gloves? I will be using crafts on my pally for gloves, belt and boots (gave Lamha to my caster druid and not thinking about getting it back to my pally Smile ) Any other suggestions on gear other than changing my crafts to ornate shrines?

Also, on a twinked caster druid (all charms my pally could get + fully upgraded class charm for which I used my trap rat to do bremmtown), at char lvl 119 1 pt mythal + 1 pt rain of fire >>> DBaal lol. Even with a whole pack of acid fiends both him and his summons got melted so fast against stacked RoF. He is using Xorine's Cane and Lamha, rest are TUs and a crafted belt.

Another question: I want to make a mana sorc but I don't like arcane torrent's range and I am curious about psicrown. Is it worth getting on a rare circlet since slvl is so low? Does anybody know a video with it since I don't know how it works/behaves?

Cheers for all the help!

Edit: Should I also write shorter posts so more people read/respond to it? Paladin discussion was pretty awesome but I have so many questions.

tantrika
Trapped Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum