Short Questions Thread

Page 86 of 100 Previous  1 ... 44 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 93 ... 100  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Short Questions Thread

Post by Quirinus on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 pm

@Aneurysm wrote:Enchanted Crystals: Can Darkspawn drop them or only Eternal Ghosts?

only Eternal Ghosts

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thedethwalker on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Does "stun attack" apply to Pounce then?

thedethwalker
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:21 pm

No, that's an on-attack proc too.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Some quick questions re UH caster paladin using basically Mind Flay and Slayer:

1. Which is better VoR or VoJ? The range seems better on VoJ (10 yds versus 3 yards). Bothe seem a bit crap though. The range doesn't seem to increase with either hard or soft points Sad

2. SoD seems to be a buff style thing (that runs for a duration) but it doesn't say what range it kills things at.

3. Considering point(s) in Sacred Armour - but the skill descripton  doesn't really say what it does. Seems to be yet another buff with unknown duration/effect.

4. Atm I have 4 buff type spells running: Tainted Blood, VoR, SoD, Rapture. If I put points in Sacred Armour that seems to be 5 - is this the right way to play this class? Seems hard to know when your 5 buffs are all up and when they're not.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:07 am

1. They're both basically crap, yes Very Happy But if you did have to pick one I'd go with VoJ on ranged builds and VoR on melee ones.
I had a UH Caster with max SoD and VoJ, with Apocalypse oskill. In the end I swapped out all my VoJ points for Slayer and that was much more effective.    

2. About half your screen width. It's a fantastic skill. Smax it, get -100 poison res and as much %poison spell duration as you can. You'll be killing a non-poison immune monster every second (even Act Bosses die in one hit).

3. Sacred Armour makes you invulnerable to all non-instahit non-poison abilities in the game for a short duration. In other words stuff like Duncraig barrels, Death Projector laser, etc. will still kill you, but even powerful hits like Akarat's hammertime won't kill while it's up. Note that the duration isn't affected by the %buff duration stat, and will always be a lot smaller than the CD on the skill. I think the max you can get to is 8s or so. I usually leave it at one point, it's good for recovering your corpse and getting ubercharms, but not for general use.

4. That's how the Paladin class works, yes. It's all about assorted self-buffs (lore-wise, think of them as blessings you receive from the Angels when you pray to them). The holy tree is similar, with Lionheart instead of Tainted Blood and Dragon Oath instead of Terror Strike.
As for knowing when they're up, TB and and SoD will have giant durations by the end of the game. You'll just need to cast them once every 10 mins or so. Rapture I typically cast once every minute. VoJ/VoR I don't use as I said, but they also have very long durations.  Sacred Armour is a rare buff, you won't be casting it outside of very specific circumstances. In fact late game you'll mostly be casting Divine Apparition whenever its timer is up, and that will block Sacred Armour.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kato on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:30 am

Excellent detailed answer as usual. Thank you very much Archon.

I've always been reluctant to use oskills - apart from the fact that they seem a bit "unintended by design" (although they are in the design so... that's probably unfair), I worry that they will not have the power to do real damage in the end game.

Perhaps with enough +skills (assuming that +skills affects oskills)... does Apocalypse work end game?

Based on what you said above, it seems best to max all 5 skills in the Wicked tree MF, SoD, TB, Stormlord and Slayer. It also seems pointless to put much of anything in either the Shadow or Light trees - unless the summons are worthwhile in either tree?

And possibly add Apocalypse as an additional oskill (from staff and boots I believe)? to give 3 damage types.

Kato
Core Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:46 am

What type of dmg does elite Cultists from a4, light or phys ?

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:22 am

@Kato wrote:Excellent detailed answer as usual. Thank you very much Archon.

I've always been reluctant to use oskills - apart from the fact that they seem a bit "unintended by design" (although they are in the design so... that's probably unfair), I worry that they will not have the power to do real damage in the end game.

Perhaps with enough +skills (assuming that +skills affects oskills)... does Apocalypse work end game?
Oskills are deliberately tuned to be weaker than class skills because they don't require any point investment, just a single gear item. As a result you need to use the right oskill with the right set up to make the most of it. Apocalypse + UH Caster is one such combo because of two reasons:
1) The UH Caster can get very high cast speeds because of how fast Superbeast's animation is. That means you can cast Apocalypse very quickly.
2) The UH Caster has access to multiple 'auto-fire' abilities (VoJ/SoD/Slayer) that can be cast once (or just a few times on every screen in the case of Slayer) and continue to do damage while you're casting Apocalypse.
Edit: Also yes, +skills affect oskills provided they're of the right type. +All skills boost the skill level of all skills, while +X to zon skills will only boost zon ones etc. Apocalypse isn't a class-specific skill, so you'll need +all skills to boost it.

@Kato wrote:
Based on what you said above, it seems best to max all 5 skills in the Wicked tree MF, SoD, TB, Stormlord and Slayer. It also seems pointless to put much of anything in either the Shadow or Light trees - unless the summons are worthwhile in either tree?
It depends on what you're trying to do. There's the 'classic' UH Caster that doesn't use any oskills, and the oskill version that uses Apocalypse or any other oskill spell (I didn't experiment much though).
The advantage of the classic version is that your gear choice isn't as restricted, whereas with the oskill version you level with the TU Longstaff ('The Magister') which grants you the Apocalypse oskill, and then late game you can augment your Apocalypse skill level even further with crafted boots that have it, or just use the boots and swap the staff for something else. I chose the former, giving me an slvl 59 Apocalypse.
The advantage of the oskill version is that you don't need to put any points in Mind Flay, allowing you to put more points into Blessed Life and your other two spells.
However for both builds I suggest smaxing Tainted Blood and Stormlord, not just maxing them. (Smaxing or super-maxing a skill means putting as many points as you can into a skill, including the +max skill levels you get from charms. Maxing means putting as many points as you would be able to at level 120 on char without any ubercharms). You typically want to smax skills that have hardpoint synergies and both of those skills have strong ones.

I didn't use summons on this build, but you could always make a build that does. Having 1pter summons for meatshields could also help, especially when your gear isn't as good. Holy + light influence tree in particular results in very beefy summons that have high HP, are invulnerable to physical and have a heal-on-attack proc. Your other light/shadow influence skills should be 1pters, except for maybe 3-4 points in Rapture/Euphoria to make their duration comfortable to use.

What type of dmg does elite Cultists from a4, light or phys ?
I was going to link you to the Bestiary, but apparently it's been removed from the Docs till it can be updated.
In any case I'm not sure exactly what damage type Skullstorm has (magic or phys) but the important thing to note is that it isn't a spell, it's an attack. In other words it depends on how much defense you have, and the more you have the less damage you'll take from it.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by march11 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:03 am

VoD is pretty overpowered tbh,it was the my main dmg dealer through early game...

my paladin isnt close to get all charms,i just have one point on it and one point in the skill that boost it but the dmg is 60k each 0.05 seconds,how this can be crap?

march11
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:18 am

Well VoJ is strong early game, late game there are better places to put your points in.
I haven't tried all possible stuff with it, just Slayer vs. VoJ. Both spells scale off physical/magic spell damage, so I could use the same gear to compare them. With VoJ you don't need to cast it more than once per session while with Slayer you do every now and then, but apart from that Slayer seems better in every way.

I suppose you could just use both (after all both scale with same stat while doing different types of damage, which is great), but I was running out of points.

As for VoR (which is the one that hits every 0.05 seconds), I confess I haven't used it much. Its range makes sense with a melee build, so I guess it might be good with UH Melee and all the spell damage you get from Terror Strike and Superbeast. For Holy Melee I don't see any synergy, but eh it could work I suppose.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 86 of 100 Previous  1 ... 44 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 93 ... 100  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum