MXL: U XVc Docs v2.94 NEW

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MXL: U XVc Docs v2.94 NEW

Post by Asteroth on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Regarding Cathedral of Vanity, can we update the documentation to reflect:
http://www.medianxl.com/t2002-cathedral-of-vanity-crystal-related-question#42793

If you get magic resistant/stone skin crystal ball, it may become impossible to kill it. I spent 30 minutes trying to damage the magic resistant balls (i had several in a row) with my sorc only to discover (by sheer luck when i decided to google the problem) that i was unlucky to get so many magic resistant spawns in a row. The entire time i thought I was missing my spells or it had avoid or i was doing something completely wrong. It's not a particularly difficult uber once you realize you may need to re-roll it.

It could save a lot of trouble for newbies or anyone who forgets these little things.

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SWaP on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Even worse if it's magic resistant phys immune like happened to me.

SWaP
Darkwarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:04 pm

My first one was Teleport and Magic Resistant. Everytime my spells touched it (for no damage mind you) it'd move. It drove me soo mad. I had no idea i needed to re-roll map and instead kept wasting my time thinking "how the fuck are people supposed to do this uber".

then I rolled one with stone skin and it died immediately. That wasn't so bad

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm

As far as I remember it's just a feature of diablo 2 that has always been there. For example superuniques (like pindle) who were not normally immune to say fire or cold would gain this immunity on hell if they spawn with fire/cold enchanted.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I understand that, but it's just not immediately intuitive that certain ubers may have these properties as well. In fact, most don't and i'm not sure why the crystal ball doesn't have a set of fixed monster abilities or why it has randomly generated ones to begin with. 

In this case, coming from a more casual player's perspective, it's stressful to have to run and hide from the death beam, dodging monsters, and also find time to check what stats the crystal ball has. 

I just feel like a minor amendment/notice in docs would go a long way to help players

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 pm

I don't really see the problem

from pretty much anywhere in CoV you can read the stats of the crystal ball. If you're dead, you have infinite time to see it.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lol on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:11 pm

I have the problem with crystal ball too, sometimes it is just impossible to kill, literately. nothing I threw on it damages it. And sometimes, it dies immediately with 1 or 2 skills. Btw it should be posted in bug report thread, not this Smile

lol
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Well it's not a bug, it's quite literally a feature.

@Marco of course you don't see a problem. I read your guide on uberquests and your attitude is it's a trivial uber. But to a newbie who's not expecting to run into a potentially immortal crystal ball, it would not be immediately clear what the problem is. 
Even IF you could read the stats, it isn't obvious that magic resistant effectively means your spells won't damage it (it doesn't list immunity to any element in this case, yet 140 element pierce doesn't do anything).

I'm just suggesting a single sentence addition in the "Strategy" section for clarity. It'd save people who haven't encountered the uber but do read the documentation time and stress

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:33 pm

My point is that crystal ball is no different than any other superunique. Since the other superuniques (Death Projector, Inarius, Dorian, Gray, Malic, Lucion, Primus, Juris Khan, the 5 duncraig bosses, as well as the non-uber superuniques like Nihlathak) can have these properties as well, I don't think it deserves a mention because it's simply a mechanic.

Also I think that even if this happens (which is rare), it shouldn't be hard to figure.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am

Could we mention that in LFAQ then? On a similar note, are you saying that death projector could be magic "immune" like the crystal ball was if it had Magic Resistant affix? That'd probably also be worth a mention. A user may be worried they aren't dragging the mechanics close enough to make it take damage for example.

Because this poster clearly wasted hours of his life:
http://www.medianxl.com/t2002-cathedral-of-vanity-crystal-related-question#42765

I wonder how many people tried the uber and silently gave up? 

Ultimately, i just think we should seek to help/clarify where we can, especially for casuals/newbies. It's easy for a pro like you to sit back and saying it's unnecessary, but you have to try and see it through the lens of a less skilled player. 
I'm not even proposing nerfs...

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum