Batman vs. Superman

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Batman vs. Superman

Post by suchbalance on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Mr. Quasi-intellectual critic, could you kindly take a step back, relax, and smell the daisies?

The word film is the most common way of referring to a motion picture in Great Britain. English you know?

Not to nitpick, but the film in question was shot in anamorphic 35mm and the scenes which were shot in IMAX were on 15/70mm.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Chip on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:21 pm

@Diminished Heathen wrote:
Not to nitpick, but film is no longer used as a canvas for storing movies. That word is reserved for kale-eating self proclaimed intellectual connoisseurs circlejerking in a yoga class.
That out of the way, yes. It was too long. Smile

Joe Chip
Knight of War

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asteroth on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:47 pm

@grimjerk wrote:When Ledger was on screen, the movie was great, when he wasn't it just kind of lay there flopping around in search of a story.

I rather disagree. I thought Ledger was absolutely amazing, but the movie was perfectly fine in the parts without him. 
I didn't even feel like it was too long. For the plot they had, the length was fitting.

Probably just different tastes, but my only qualm with Dark Knight were the fight scenes (how batman never gets shot, even though he has plenty of time to get shot..), but that's a function of the super hero and you have to suspend reality for that.

Asteroth
Hardliner

Well-Sourced Debater
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Diminished Heathen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

@suchbalance wrote:Mr. Quasi-intellectual critic, could you kindly take a step back, relax, and smell the daisies?

The word film is the most common way of referring to a motion picture in Great Britain. English you know?

Not to nitpick, but the film in question was shot in anamorphic 35mm and the scenes which were shot in IMAX were on 15/70mm.

Well, if we are going to argue semantics, when you see a movie, you don't watch a film. That's what I am saying. So watching a "film" is still incorrect. You are watching a digital replication, be a DVD, or even when you're at the movie theater, it's a digital projector.

Diminished Heathen
Thunderbolt

MXLU Addict #1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:27 pm

"film" is used in many countries, even non-English, like mine.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grimjerk on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:02 am

@Diminished Heathen wrote:
@suchbalance wrote:Mr. Quasi-intellectual critic, could you kindly take a step back, relax, and smell the daisies?

Well, if we are going to argue semantics, when you see a movie, you don't watch a film. That's what I am saying. So watching a "film" is still incorrect. You are watching a digital replication, be a DVD, or even when you're at the movie theater, it's a digital projector.

A little thing called the dictionary would disagree with you. From definition 2 under film (noun)

a motion picture; a movie.

grimjerk
Prince Albrecht

Grumpy Uncle Grimjerk knows best!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Diminished Heathen on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:14 pm

What I meant is, on a technical/literal level, you don't watch movies on film. So personally, I feel like that term is outdated, just like "dialing" a phone no longer makes sense, and people no longer watch "the tube". And in my specific area, it just sounds weird to say film instead of movies.

But we are not all from the same place, so i'll just strap on a helmet.

Diminished Heathen
Thunderbolt

MXLU Addict #1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

If you really want to be technical/literal, then half of English words don't make sense because they don't mean exactly the same thing as the words they come from in other languages (eg. latin). It's a good thing we're not literal creatures.

On-topic: I can see double the grayness in this movie. Superman gray + Batman gray = black screen. Someone make a comic panel/mele with it plz.
I hope they tone it down a bit. Not every scene has to be dark.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum