Skyrim Mods and Steam Workshop.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arrow Skyrim Mods and Steam Workshop.

Post by Segolia on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:23 am

Oh boy what a mess. I come back from a lengthy and abrupt hospital trip (Hi guys!), and one of the first things I see is THIS. Skyrim mod makers can now host their mods on the workshop and have a price tag on it to help support modders. The price tag will either by Pay What You Want, Set Price, or Free. Pay What You Want does not have a minimum of $0, the lowest I believe  is $0.40. Some mod makers have taken out their works from the Nexus or cancelled updating it and went to the Workshop to charge money for it, which encourages piracy. Stolen content, which was already an issue in the workshop, has become a rampant issue for this monopoly. A mod purchased has a 24 hour return policy, but if the mod breaks at anytime due an update or other reasons after that period, you will be screwed. It has caused a massive outburst from the community, mod makers and players included. Death threats, modders abandoning the scene, boycotts, petitions, satirical mods, news posts. The list goes on.

Here is the Skyrim Workshop to view what content is available from there, both free and for a price.

Skyrim potentially isn't the only one to get this sort of Workshop update. It's already happened in Valve's trifecta of hat simulators, but those are competitive multiplayer games. Other single player games under Workshop Support, or Garry's Mod, can potentially get this same system in the future          

I'm half asleep because of my meds and would love to type more, but I wanna hear what you guys think about it. There are PLENTY of other sources to get more information about other's opinions, and other issues of this debacle via googling if you wanna learn more.

Segolia
Bloody Butcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Arrow Re: Skyrim Mods and Steam Workshop.

Post by Gekko64 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I'd be really interested to hear Laz's thought about this

Gekko64
Hopeless

Twinktwat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Laz on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Honestly, everyone involved is a twat except Valvesda, ironically enough. This has been a complete mess.

Modders are twats because modding is easy. All it takes to make a good mod is some basic game design knowledge and the willingness to spend lots of time typing stuff into an editor. Looking at the currently popular Skyrim mods, you don't even need the discipline to fix bugs or support your product.

So let's ask half the price of real DLC for it! We are the new millennial creative maker economy! We deserve $3 for a piece of shit armor with no inventory image! And let's whine about our 25% cut, which btw is higher than what actually talented musicians and writers get.

There is a special place in hell for the fucktard who inserted popup ads into the free version of his mod with the consequence that anyone relying on said mod in their savefile was forced to either pay up or try to uninstall a scripted mod from a long running save which is basically a suicide pill for that save. That's pretty much ransomware and the guy should get eaten in his sleep by hungry spiders.

(This also applies to Greenlight shit made in Unity. The talented people made the Unity engine, you just placed boxes or read a tutorial on normal maps. Woo.)

Users are twats because making overly confident bad business decisions is other people's prerogative and they owe you nothing. SkyUI costs $5? Oh noes, what shall I do? I can't play Skyrim without it! I know, let's pay the fucking $5 if it's so important bombard Schlangster with ascii fingers, call him an asshole and pirate his mod! He totally deserves it because he offered free stuff for two years and now he's still offering the same free stuff but also selling better stuff. What a scumbag sellout.

The gaming press are twats because they stoned Chesko to death for "copyright infringement", even though the TOS actually says that someone who publishes a mod for free forsakes any rights to it. This means Bethesda could totally take your mod and sell it and give you nothing.

This also means Valve do not have to care about mod piracy, because you don't own your mod anyway. Try reading the legalese next time, idiot. And if your shit is so good that you want to copyright it, do what non-millennials always had to do and actually do the paperwork. Welcome to the economy.

Valve and Bethesda are not twats because they created an OPTIONAL store and let the MARKET decide. They didn't expect so many raging douchebags and keyboard warriors, and they apparently took the money and ran (because they were clever enough to insert a "terms could change at any time" clause into the contract and modders were retarded enough to fall for it because WOW BETHESDA NOTICED ME OMG). But there was nothing wrong with the concept.

Tl;dr

You have to remember that any opposition to a free market that doesn't point out an implementation flaw in said free market (unaccounted for externalities, ability of market participants to block entry, etc.) is just someone trying to get something for nothing at other people's expense by using force.

It happens in government, it happens in regulation, welfare is entirely built on it, and it happened here. A bunch of nerds thought they could ask $2 for a weapon that clips through your hands and another bunch of nerds were incapable of a more mature response than a bunch of ascii middle fingers and downvotes.

And in the end, all the community had to do to make paid mods go away was nothing. Don't Fucking Buy Them and the store will close.

But it was never about that, was it? It was just a convenient excuse to post death threats over $5 and engage in piracy while whining about freedom. Because keyboard warriors.

Brother Laz
Care Bear

Flying Polar Buffalo Error

View user profile http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/

Back to top Go down

Post by kamird on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Totally agree with Laz. The Stupidity of KW are astounding and rising fast. Donation system instead of market system ''could'' fix this problem, but I'm not sure if it can stop KW from their bravado.... When there is a chance to Diss someone they will not hesitate and do it, they are trash what else can I say?

kamird
Jungle Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gekko64 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the thorough response Laz Smile

Gekko64
Hopeless

Twinktwat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Segolia on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:46 pm

And now Valve has removed paid mods, refunding all payments to customers.

Their statement: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Segolia
Bloody Butcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspirine101 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Laz, I was having a lot of things run in my mind about this subject, but what you said now was the perfect response.

Aspirine101
Lord Primus

Islamic B&D Princess
TGGood None

View user profile http://lmgtfy.com/?q=median+xl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Wow, I'm surprised. This shitstorm lasted less than a week.

Personally I'm torn; Laz brings up good points but the statement from Valve also feels spot-on: "[...]stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating."

Baby steps, I guess.

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum