Wow.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wow.

Post by Jvizzlez on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:05 am

Let me just start off by saying, I remember playing Median back in middle school. MIDDLE SCHOOL! I'm now at a university, and this mod is still going on strong? I didn't even know there was a community for it, let alone one this big (considering how long it's been going on for, at least).

I stopped playing MXL back in early 2012, got one character to 120, and aptly went off to start signing up for colleges... I checked back on Laz's hugelaser site every now and then to see what it was up to, and was saddened to see that it was shut down eventually. I thought MXL was pretty much dead by then, as great as it was. Just recently, however, I went to Laz's other site, and noticed that there was another MXL forum for unofficial "ultimative" releases. I come here, and by god, people are actually still playing the game!

Needless to say, I'm going to jump back into MXL right away. There's many years of content that I need to get familiar with, and many more years of stuff I need to completely re-learn. That said, what's the current meta like? What are the best builds in terms of leveling, PVP, etc.? I think I'm just going to hop in and try out all of the different re-works, enjoying the content as I go, but for when I decide to settle down and focus on a couple good builds, what should I be focusing on?

Also, I know it's asking for a lot, but what are the biggest changes between ~2012 until now? How much did ultimative change MXL (considering I've never played ultimative...)?

I'm glad this community is still alive, and I hope (once I'm done with college work!) to join the realms again and mindlessly run UQs for 18 hours a day, just like I used to Very Happy

Jvizzlez
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wow.

Post by taem on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 am

I'd say this version is built upon Laz's creation, but at this point is much more Marco's baby than Laz's to be honest. MarcoNecroX is the current modder of MXL, or MXLU more appropriately.

You can find the documentation here, which has everything you need to know in it:
http://www.medianxl.com/t7142-mxl-u-xvc-docs-v2-94-new

taem
Dark Nephalem

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Post by lol on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 am

Yes the community is alive, and many people are playing on the realm now (Ive seen over 100, they are just playing in private games)

Well, let me say you should not see any char as "best char for XXXYYYZZZ", just have fun with anything you want.

You might also want to check out the doc, anything non-secret related to the mod is there: http://www.medianxl.com/t7142-mxl-u-xvc-docs-v2-94-new

Lastest patch: http://www.medianxl.com/t6146-xvc-released

TSW realm: http://tsw.vn.cz/

Some significant changes are
-A LOT of ultimative uber quests (you can see about these in doc) and some secret ubers noone ever discovered yet.
-A brand new layer of unique item after SSU (the old highest layer), can see in doc
-A brand new skill tree for each class (5 skills each)
-New runewords with elemental runes (new type of runes from Unformed Land uber), and on realm only you can make enhanced runewords with kabraxis rune (from cubing 6 types of elemental runes together).
-Level challenge 0 added, you wont want to miss this one (it requires level 5), see in doc
-Character orb (from the boss in hatred Den of evil) that can help you a lot in leveling
-act 2 staff of kings (quest) and act 3 Khalim's flail is dropped at Viper claw temple and Travincal, you wont have to go to the places to get ingredients anymore. Btw all the places (maggot lair, spider carvern, etc) have all been made uber levels, you wont want to mess with them early

lol
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:55 pm

^ on top of this I want to add that ultimative adds some nice accessibility/confort too, bigger inventory, smaller charms, mass disenchanting, shrine 'books', smoother jewelcrafting, a more realistic NPC selling gold cap, shrines without flavor text (they used to be annoying), jewel gambling, town teleporting, chars starting with some base gold, condensed affix strings (i.e. 10% FRW, 10% IAS.. etc, -> 10% overall speed or trials from class charm), some nice recipes that allow you to create greater learning sigs (so now 500 stat points can be stored in 20 items rather than 500)

honestly, ultimative has an unlistable amount of changes at this point, but I feel like the things mentioned above are the reason why me (and several others) wouldn't be able to go back to classic.

MarcoNecroX
Malthael

Führer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jvizzlez on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Having played it all of last night, I have to say I'm impressed with all of the changes. One thing that really shocked me was that D2's max resolution is 800x600... I swear it was a lot higher than that back when I played it, but perhaps my monitor was just smaller. I've heard of MultiRes, but there seems to be a few problems with it, including the ability to see monsters outside of where you're supposed to, allowing yourself to attack them without them noticing you. The inability to disenchant non-sacred uniques into learning signets was a bit startling, but I guess it makes sense (for balance purposes). Right now I'm building a bloodzon w/ pax mystica (as an alternate weapons, just for blinking) and a strong emphasis on summoning, seems to be working very well for nasty stuff that would otherwise instakill me. I'm going to start off the other 6 classes to test out the new skilltrees and whatnot, will probably segway into more silly builds.

By the way, back when I last played, judgesin was nerfed but still popular. Is anything of the sort still possible? I'd go into the game and test myself, but I have to get to class and probably won't be able to play for a while. Also, whatever happened to Laz? I vaguely remember meeting him in a few open bnet games a loooong time ago, and he seemed like a pretty busy guy... is he just caught up with other work?

Jvizzlez
Fallen One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 pm

"updated" Judgesin -> http://www.medianxl.com/t669-v6d-the-kickstarter-sin-the-untwinked-journey

BLaz stopped working on mod long time ago(1,5-2 years ago), now Marco is in charge here and he's developing this mod. BLaz still visit forum from time to time tho Smile

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 pm

you can't disenchant non-sacred uniques into learning sigs (except jewels, rings, amulets and quivers).

Laz helped with concepts for a few skills/trees for ultimative, but that's about it, since he's otherwise occupied. as hellgrind said, he posts here from time to time, mostly in the games and community subsections.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lol on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 am

Well, I just wanna say there is a huge different patch on realm and cant be accessed while playing single player, and ladder has been reset recently (4-17): http://www.medianxl.com/t7277-ladder-has-been-reset
I dont know if you play SP or on realm yet, just wanna inform you Smile

lol
Cabalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum