Questions about the game/builds/classes -werewolf for beginners

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Questions about the game/builds/classes -werewolf for beginners

Post by doczoidberg on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Hello there Community of Median!
As a returning player I am still very confused about the game and after searching through the forums and google I still have some major questions.
Forgive me that I don't understand the terminology at all - I don't even know what oskill or smax is, that's also a reason I still can't set foot in this game.
I would be very grateful if you guys could try not to use shortening terms and just write out what you mean.

I have about 3-4 hours played in this game now and still don't know what class I want to play and what gear/spec/stat distribution is beneficial for the class.
The werewolf druid looks pretty cool, but since it is a new specialization there are no guides yet or only discussions that don't help me as a new player (terminology etc.).
It would be amazing if there would be just an up to date class for a newer talent tree that I could follow during a first playthrough.
A playstile that I really enjoy would be a frenzy barb/werewolf druid/lightning mage/elemental druid - if you guys remember these from diablo 2.
So which class is like that in median and could you give me some guidelines?

Finally, how do I craft stuff - how can I find Items I can craft for levelling/ progression?
I know about the docs, but as a level 7 player level 45 runewords don't interest me too much - could you name some rw's/gemwords (however its called here) that are really beneficial to my gaming experience?

I got really frustrated with the Volrath challenge as a werewolf, while I aced it as a dual wield barb (1 blood hatred, 1 lion stance, no statpoints) and elemental druid (2 in elemental and some statpts in energy).

Last edited by doczoidberg on Sat May 09, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

doczoidberg
Stygian Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Questions about the game/builds/classes -werewolf for beginners

Post by Moasseman on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:07 pm

I can't answer the upper questions, but the lower ones. Here we go:

"how do I craft stuff - how can I find Items I can craft for levelling/ progression?" When people say "crafting", they usually refer to shrine crafting which you can find an explanation in the Docs. It's not an early game thing tho, since you can only get shrines on Terror/Destruction. And the shrines I talk about are items, not the ones you find around the world that gives ya buffs :3

Easiest way to get items for leveling is making uniques/runewords. If you happen to come by a unique item you don't want, you can buy a catalyst of disenchantment from any blacksmith vendor (Charsi etc.). Then you put the unique and the catalyst into the cube and transmute. It'll give you 1 Arcane shard.

You can combine arcane shards together, and once you get 5, it turns into Arcane crystal. Arcane crystal is a basic material for a lot of things in MXL (Making uniques, up-tiering items just to name a few). To make a unique item, you need 2 arcane crystals and an oil of enhancement (from Charsi etc. again). Then you put them into a cube with the item you wish to make unique and bam, there's a fresh one for ya. Refer to the docs as to what the unique's requirements/stats will be.

"I got really frustrated with the Volrath challenge as a werewolf" Lc0 (Level challenge 0, as in Volrath) is extremely tedious for some specs (traprat, treewarden, wolf) and extremely easy for others (elemental, poison, bow). It's just how it is :3

Moasseman
Glowing Blob

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by munkyh3ad on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Firstly skim the docs, so you'd know where to look for certain stuff: http://docs.median-xl.com/

oSkill is Item Only Skill, there is a list in the docs so you know which items can have the and sMax is super maxing a skill, taking advantage of as many + max skill lvl from charms and a couple of gear pieces.

For crafting gear you need a Sacred item (last tier, must be found and can't be bought/gambled) and Shrines (also only findable) that have a chance to give certain bonuses, list of bonuses is in docs. Jewelcrafting requires Arcane Shards/Crystal (from disenchanting Uniq items), Oil of Craft (buyable), certain runes and crafting points according to what stats you are looking for, again all info is in the docs.

Volrath is easy overall, with some builds it's just stupid easy, all you need to do is avoid the beam and various time to take down his traps.
Here is a guide: http://www.medianxl.com/t6875-xvc-how-to-complete-level-challenge-0-with-all-classes-video

As for classes, just pick any, builds vary according to playstile, anyone could tell you his favorite but i believe you should go your own way and if you can't progress anymore just ask for tips.

Last edited by munkyh3ad on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

munkyh3ad
Dark Lady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi, to your first question allow me to quote myself from some time ago:

@suchbalance wrote:Just a few hours ago I did the BRC on my wolf at lvl 117, with 0 deaths in terror fauzt using the below setup. Give it a try it's not so difficult.

Sacred Flamberge Void RW, socketed with 15% IAS jewels to reach 7fpa.
Steel Golem TU Gothic Plate, socketed with Jah runes.
Natha RW in a sacred Spirit / Falcon head, socketed with 2% str jewels.
Crafted (doesn't matter with which shrine) sacred gauntlets with CtC burning veil & 350% ED
TU Chain boots
Rings: +1 all skills, magic find - MO with thunderhammer on kill
Amulet: +2 all skills, CtC doom on kill - MO with thunderhammer on kill

On Switch: +12 skills rare (roll with oils of renewal) druid staff dropped in a5 terror.

No charms in inventory apart from challenges / minigame upgrades to class charm. MO all items with 15 TCD MOs and up to 350% ED (runewords in superior luckied base items ofc). Character orb cubed with 15x Ith runes also.

Skills: smax Werewolf form, Feed the pack, Lifeshield, Force of nature
Enough points in harbinger to remove the timer. The remainders go into Elfin weapons for crushing blow (up to 100% cap) and 1pt in all others.

If you are unsure of an abbreviation like "oskill" or "smax" see our documentation: http://docs.median-xl.com/ . There expand the "information" category and take a look at the "abbreviations" page.

If you want to play a sorc equivalent, then the best place to point you too is the "Tanya the sorceress" guide over at the Sorc part of the guide forums.

Useful low level runewords can be made as soon as lvl 11. E.g. for your wolf for example that would be El in chest and then El in a 2h sword. Later the "Void" weapon runeword will carry you through the entire game pretty much. Levelling goes extremely fast - you will likely be around 20 by the time you finish a1, so those high numbers should not discourage you. Farming the gift box in tristram will also provide you with free tiered uniques.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doczoidberg on Sat May 09, 2015 4:34 pm

I have started a Werewolf now after I got bored a little of sorc baalruns.
I am level 20 now and it feels a lot smoother than last time I played a wolf.

Stats:
all STR for now (I got Plugy)
Skills:
smax Werewolf Form and Feed the pack
Elfin Weapons
Pagan Rites for emergencies

From first testing I couldnt really see a use in Twisted Claw and will not put any points into it this time. I just wish there was a "fury" -style attack in exchange. (yes i know about aegipan rw).

I am holding Harbinger on cooldown and spam Mana pulse - cake.
All Poison resistance/reduced poison duration gear is kept safely in my treasurebox for act 2 Smile

Gear:
All the possible runewords,
Summit
Shark
Rainbow
Zaelot Rush/Epicenter
Character Orb: diamonds and skulls
Also, Vilehand Gloves have a really cool synergy with harbinger, poison spread is really nice in early levels!
My whole screen turns green if use harbinger in Tristram.

Last edited by doczoidberg on Sat May 09, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

doczoidberg
Stygian Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sat May 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Pagan Rites is 1 point only, don't put more points in this skill.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doczoidberg on Sat May 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Alright, I had a free point and thought that the second point in pagan has good value since it nearly doubles the heal. I use pagan less and less already though.

doczoidberg
Stygian Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirinus on Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 am

Docs http://docs.median-xl.com/  --> Information --> Abbreviations

Don't overlook the challenges, read and do them because they have an upper level limit.

Quirinus
Creature of Flame

Bloody High Five
TGGood none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doczoidberg on Sun May 10, 2015 8:25 am

Thank you, I have never done the challenges so I will definetely read through the docs.

doczoidberg
Stygian Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 on Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 am

@doczoidberg wrote:Alright, I had a free point and thought that the second point in pagan has good value since it nearly doubles the heal. I use pagan less and less already though.
As you level your character you'll get access to more and more +skills from gear. A lot of skills that you've only put one point into will become better this way. That allows you to save your skill points for the skills that require direct investment ('hard points') to improve.

archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum