Buff Skill Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buff Skill Questions

Post by MrFunk on Wed May 06, 2015 1:59 am

I have wondered for a while about this and seem to get a different answer from everyone I ask so I figured I would post here. Maybe someone has a definitive answer somewhere out there.

I am playing an Unholy influence paladin with a heavy focus in Vessel of Retribution and it has been going excellently. I put on my switch a weapon/shield with a lot of +skills and thought "hey why not put some +phys/magic to boost the damage of the Vessel. Now when I did that the damage is showing that it is much higher as normal.

My question is: Does this actually keep the damage increase when I switch back to my main weapon setup? What other "buff" type abilities that you cast and forget work like this? Am I missing something here I figured it would keep the damage since I only cast it once and it stays active until duration expires.

Thanks in advance for the help, this has been bugging me for a long time.

MrFunk
Shredder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Buff Skill Questions

Post by HalfGodBro on Wed May 06, 2015 4:22 am

From what i heard, the +skills on this kind of buff will stay, but the +% to Magic/Phys damage only work from your current gear, since it shoots missile, so your switch gear should have +skills and your main gear lots of +Magic/Phys spell to optimize its damage

HalfGodBro
Mangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFunk on Wed May 06, 2015 4:31 am

Yeah I have had people tell me that and people tell me that I should be stacking +phys/magic on switch as well. Thanks though man I'll likely just keep stacking it on my armour then as best I can.

MrFunk
Shredder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suchbalance on Wed May 06, 2015 4:38 am

The answer to your question is in the LFAQ in the docs and should probably have been posted in the short question topic.

VoR / VoJ will NOT inherit anything else from the prebuffed + skills gear apart from a duration increase.

The base damage (governed by slvl) and added damage (governed by spell damage mods on gear) are all calculated every time the missile is fired.

suchbalance
Ethereal

TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFunk on Wed May 06, 2015 4:45 am

Thank you very much for the help. It is much appreciated sir!

MrFunk
Shredder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Borgin on Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 am

I literally answered this question less than a week ago.

@Borgin wrote:So this is a pretty complex answer.

If you want to pre-buff, it usually works the way you want. Why only usually?

In MXLU, there are a lot of "buffs" that also deal damage to enemies by using missiles. VoJ is one such buff. When using these types of buffs, any +skill bonuses used upon casting are applied. The weirdness comes when the buff starts actually creating missiles. When a missile is spawned by the player, it uses their current equipment/stats to determine the damage of the missile. Basically, what will happen is that you'll have the base damage increase of your prebuff gear, but the %spelldamage bonuses of your current gearset.

It is possible to exploit this by using very large +skill gear, casting prebuffs, and then switching to very large %spelldamage gear. You get the "best of both worlds"- high base damage (and long duration, usually) along with increased spelldamage percents.

Caveat: I might be wrong but I'm about 90% sure on this. Wait for confirmation from somebody smarter than me. Wink

[edit]
I should clarify as well- for anything that's just a "regular" buff, pre-buffing works as expected- you inherit your pre-buff gear's +skills and +duration bonuses (as well as anything else your pre-buff gearset may give). In the case of VoJ, pre-buffing should affect it, and its relevant passive (you won't "lose" the synergy upon gear switching). It's just the missile thing that gets weird.
It looks like I misspoke about prebuffing including your +skills, but this is only relevant for buffs that generate damage-dealing missiles. For any other buffs, +skills from your prebuff gear will still benefit the skill until its duration expires.

Ultimately with things that are actually complex like this, you're going to get a million different answers from (usually) uninformed sources. Check the "official" docs first at http://docs.median-xl.com/ , then ask in the Short Questions Thread. Wait for somebody who is clearly intelligent to respond to you; unfortunately, there honestly are not very many experienced modders here or people who understand the D2 engine in general. MnX is the true source of all knowledge and understanding. Wink

Borgin
Blood Stone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum