Pure Summon Necromancer Viability?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pure Summon Necromancer Viability?

Post by Amantaldo on Thu May 07, 2015 8:57 pm

I've been playing for a while on SP with a bowazon and was feeling the desire to switch to a different char after completing some of the ubers to keep things interesting.  Summoner necromancer was my favorite class in vanilla D2 and I was wondering, especially after completing Tran Athuala, where arrows go everywhere and through everything, if this class type is even possible to make work in the late game.  I've read that they have an easy time going through Hatred and Terror difficulty, but begin to drop like flies really fast as the summons' survivability is besieged at from all angles: lack of dr, resistance cap, life cap rollover, heavy enemy damage towards the end in destruction/uber levels.

So if this is the case, should I even bother with summon necromancer?

Edit: Answer to that question: Fuck no.

Last edited by Amantaldo on Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amantaldo
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pure Summon Necromancer Viability?

Post by wXi on Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm

I read somewhere about summon necros capabilities but i cant remember the post but you should try using search option and keyword summon.
There should be at least few topics about the subject.

Personal experience was that using summoner effectively has lots and lots of skillswitching and frankly i didnt like it at all. Just standing somewhere and clicking fingers bleeding and sometimes teleporting to collect minions.
But it did do the job with only few SUs ans few mediocre crafts.

wXi
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MUS01 on Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 am

Summoner barb gets less clicking...

MUS01
Burning Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenfeeder on Fri May 08, 2015 4:29 am

summoner nec is actually a great farmer, minions are actually not so squishy, u can easily achieve 20k shadow and 40k rampagor, farm dunc- fauzt slowly with basic gears iirc. he used to have problems fighting bosses/ heroic bosses but now with the malice skill tree he has some source of dmg himself, QT, BPR and Athulua are all easy-moderate to him.

chickenfeeder
Fairy Witch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flare-Destroyer on Fri May 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I was playing a B Laz set necro in 6vd not long ago. Used.that set with Sinwar shield for kraken. Maxed Jinn, black mass, DFT totem. Rest into Embalm, shadow, and lightening totem.

Quov tsin melted me though. Only char i was able tp get bopk of lies with though. lolfarm visions of akarat too

Farmed.sewers for stones with him. never took him to athulua tho

Flare-Destroyer
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flare-Destroyer on Fri May 08, 2015 4:31 pm

1 Pt rampagors seemed fine.

Flare-Destroyer
Asatruar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amantaldo on Sat May 09, 2015 12:35 pm

After looking around the forums a bit about this kind of necro, I think I'm- no I KNOW I'm never going to attempt a pure summon necro.

Amantaldo
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hellgrind on Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Summoners are best char for farming toraja.

hellgrind
Burning Dead

Not so well known...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cowking on Sat May 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Summon necro is strong for some purposes (jday bonus, toraja), but weak in others where the mechanics are against it (kab).

Also why pure summon? Make totem or caster hybrid, or totem/caster/summoner. Pure summoner suffers from stand still syndrome holding down black mass and being forced to use a stance which makes life cumbersome.

Anyway it's not a brainless bowazon for sure where you basically spam one button and shit dies™.

cowking
Clawstorm Terror

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amantaldo on Sat May 09, 2015 10:01 pm

When I said pure summon, I meant totems as well, but even that is not worth the effort.  When you make it a hybrid, it's harder to justify a variation of hybrid caster/summoner that isn't simply going full caster with shadows/archon.  I was looking for a way to make the class similar in concept to what there was in vanilla, but way more fleshed out and compelling to play.  Which in vanilla was skeleton warrior/revives/clay golem with curses thrown in as a support spell from your necromancer, and kill everything in the game through your army.

I find it fun to form an army and then let it tear apart my enemies and watch the carnage.  It looked like that style was more fleshed out in Median, but it was apparent it falls fast late game regardless of how well you try to prepare your summons. Kabraxis and other anti-minion ubers I'm fine with, I have no issue with areas that are basically a 'fuck you' to minion based combat. This class, however it seems like every single uber level area is like that with your toughest summons melting because they have A) a cap on resistance based on difficulty (max 50% on Destruction), B) a life cap where their HP will rollover to 1 and die instantly, and C) no damage resist.  It seems like it's less of forming an army there, and more like throwing paper airplanes hoping that you can throw them faster than the enemies bat them aside.  Rathma's Chosen seems like a good counter to that problem, but then it makes me wonder why I should bother with any modifiers on items that give % bonuses to minions when that spell covers both damage and survivability by leaps and bounds.

Hell, from where I'm looking, the Resurrection Paladin gives off a more summon Necromancer vibe than the fucking summon Necromancer, if only because revives don't suffer the same kind of penalties normal summons do.  Summon necromancers... that style of class in Median just looks like too many problems and contrivances to be worth the effort of getting a class to... farm Toraja. Whoopee.

Edited for less text-wall feel.

Last edited by Amantaldo on Sat May 09, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Amantaldo
Desert Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum