Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Noob's Guide to MXL

Post by taem on 04.11.12 21:46

Noob’s Guide To MXL

Learn to play MXL like a pro…
by Taem

General Info
This guide will help starting players learn the basics of how MXL works so they don’t feel totally overwhelmed when starting this mod. In this guide you will learn specific properties and functions specific to MXL, how to get gold and where to farm early on, as well as some helpful recipes and runewords. First Tip: Difficulties have been renamed to Hatred, Terror, and Destruction respectively.

Skills
Alright, so you made your hero and you're in the Rogue Encampment; now what? Well before you set out of town, take a good look at your skills. They are all different than any D2 Mod you have ever played and it will do you well to understand a bit about them. You may notice these skills have a number after them, such as 1/3 or something. This is how many levels you need before that skill can have a point placed in it again, so in the example above, every three levels, you can place one skill point. You may also notice that you start off with a Class Skill, specific for each class. Set it as your RMB and see how it works. Most of the class skills automatically gain in power as you do, making them useable even in late game.

Running
So you may notice the walking speed is quite a bit faster than in D2. Coming from D2 classic, you probably ran everywhere you went. One little fact you may not have known was that in D2, when you run your defense is set to zero. In D2 Classic, this didn’t matter because monsters attack rate was atrocious, and the game favored heavily on damage reduction. In MXL, it’s totally different. Monsters have high attack rates and defense is vital to your survival, so if you want to get anywhere in this game, walk, don’t run!

Mystic Orbs
So you still haven’t set out yet? Well good! Go to Akara and check out her wares. You’ll see she has some strange looking orbs. These are called Mystic Orbs, and their effects can be applied to the item they say they affect, such as armor, weapon, or jewelry. Each use of a mystic orb adds two-levels to your items level requirement, so be careful you don’t make your item a level too high for you to use, because there is no way to remove a mystic orb once it’s placed on an item.

Some useful orbs:
● Resists
So you breezed past D2 Classic with less than 20-resists and didn’t notice? Well MXL is far, far different! By act 2, you will find certain monsters can 1-hit you if you don’t have at least 50% resists! So how in the world do you get your resists up? Use some mystic orbs on your armor for one (more on this below).
● Defense
Applying this to armor will increase your total defense score for that piece of armor.
● Total Character Defense
Applying this to an item will increase your total defensive score, so if you had 100-armor total, and got TCD 10%, you’d have 110 total armor. Obviously TCD is better than defense if your defense scores for your armors are already high. Mix and match and see what works best for you.

Resists
So you may notice your resists suck and between trying to get more defense, you run out of mystic orb space often! What to do? Believe it or not, the best defense against a low resist score early on is gems! The new gems in MXL not only socket into your armors, but flawless quality gems increase your maximum resists by 1% and perfect quality by 2%! By the time you start attempting ubers, you should have between 80-90% if you want to survive. The old D2 Classic gems also increase your resists, but only in shields.

Sockets
All items have sockets now, including belts and shoes. What can you do with these sockets you ask?

● Secret Jewel Bonus
Early on, put jewels in the sockets of grey items. They will not only grant the jewels bonus, but +5 all resists, +5 all attributes, and more. Highly effective early on!
● Runewords
In MXL, runewords require only one rune, however that rune must be the last socket placed and no other runes or gems can be in the other sockets of the item. For example, if a bow has 5-sockets available, you must fill four of them with jewels, and the last with the rune for the runeword you wish to socket. Take a moment to look over the runewords available from the game documentation. Here is the most important one early on:
>Pax Mystaka: Socket a staff with a Nef rune and gain 20-Blink charges (teleport).

The Cube
You may have noticed that you now start off with the cube! It is highly advisable you look over the cube recipe list before playing! Some beginner recipes:
● Gem/Rune Upgrade: You only need two now instead of three to upgrade.
● Rune Downgrade: Cube a rune by itself to downgrade it.
● Superior: Upgrade an item from cracked>normal>superior with a Oil of Upgrade.
● Lucky: Get an Oil of Luck and get lucky on all of your items for a nice bonus!
● Respec: You may respec whenever you want using the Oil of Absolution + rune.
● Socket Punch: For each jewel you use, you may punch one socket into an item up to it’s maximum based on tier level.
● Honorific: Magic weapon/armor + Meditation Candle + Sacrifical Heart; these items get double Mystic Orb bonuses, so great when your very low on resists with no way to compensate, or you need to improve your minions resists, health, and damage.
TIP: Read the recipe list; you can make your own uniques out of normal items, but you need shards! Read up!

Getting Money
So now your sick of all this reading and ready to go murder some shit, right? Good, go ahead! One of the problems you may start having pre-level 50 is with money! You need money to identify stuff to see if it’s any good, money for mystic orbs, money for health pots, money to raise your merc, money, money, money… How do you get money? One of the surest ways is to sell Apples! They get 10K at level 1 alone. The next best thing to do is pick up every rare item you find, ID it, then sell it! Rare’s typically sell for 150-300 in Act 1, and at the cost of 100-per ID scroll, don’t expect to get rich quick, but hey, money is money and this is the only way to survive early on. Also, Cave Snapper's and Grubber's drop huge amounts of Gold. Finally, visit Akara for socketed throwing weapons, buy them and put a rune in it and sell again; this gets you the vendor cap in gold.

Level Challenge
So you’ve murdered some stuff, got some money, and now have decent defense and resists and are falling in love with this mod. Well you haven’t seen anything yet! Your almost ready for your first uber! At or before level 50, you must do your level challenge in Tran Athula. I’m not going to tell you how or what to do – that’s in the documentation for crying out loud! Just be aware you must do this challenge before level 50 and that Tran Athula is in Act 2 where the cube was. There is also a level 90 challenge that must be done in Act 2 outside where the Claw Viper Temple is located, but in Terror difficulty. In Ultimative (or Sigma), there are additional level challenges!

Tiered Uniques
You may notice that uniques are totally different! They are tiered, Tier 1 to Tier 6! The higher the tier, the more powerful the unique becomes, but also the higher the level requirement. You may do something called uptiering your uniques to a higher tier using Arcane Crystals!
>Uptier: 1-Arcane Crystal + 1-rune. Don’t forget the rune or your item will quality will uptier, but not the unique states! You don’t want that!

Procs
You will hear from time to time players talking about “procs”. These are effects that spawn more effects, such as 10% chance to cast Hammertime. You will find several of these from Mystic Orbs, on runewords, and certain uniques. Some procs only work on melee weapons or special attacks. Below is a list of what works with what:

● On Kill: Works with melee, *wdm missiles, and poison
● On Attack: Melee attack only, but any projectiles released from a melee based attack are not included
● On Striking: Works with melee and any missile that carries *wdm
● When Struck: *wdm
● When Damaged: Any kind of damage
*wdm = Any skill that deals weapon damage will carry all weapon modifiers

End Game?
I think that’s about all the information you really need to get started playing this mod! The attack rate is different than D2 Classic when trying to figure out your FPS. You get added spell damage for the more points you put into Energy. All mercs can only use a wide assortment of items and actually have very useful skills, not just Act 2 mercs. Good luck!

Please PM me all questions or comments so I may update this guide here without cluttering up the mini-guide section. Thank you.

Special Thanks To:
Marco, for his input in this guide, and hosting this site of course Very Happy
and Laz for starting Median XL
and to all other contributors

Version 1.2 updated on 11/09/2012

Last edited by taem on 10.11.12 2:37; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Some stupid grammatical syntax errors I just noticed :blush: !)

taem
Blood Golem

Badge of Poster Badge of Popularity Badge of Love Badge of Contribution

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Re: Noob's Guide to MXL

Post by MarcoNecroX on 04.11.12 22:10

>On Kill: Melee only
>On Attack: Melee only
>On Striking: Melee and Missile

??

MarcoNecroX
Akarat

(_̅_̅_̅_̅_̲̅м̲̅a̲̅я̲̅i̲̅j­̲̅u̲̅a̲̅n̲̅a̲̅_̅_̅_̅()ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้
Top Spammer Famous Loved as Pizza

View user profile http://www.medianxl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kroner on 05.11.12 0:05

taem wrote:>On Kill: Melee only
>On Attack: Melee only
>On Striking: Melee and Missile

It would be more accurate to say:
>On Kill = death resulting from poison or weapon damage.
>On Attack = on weapon swings that connect with a target.
>On Striking = any time weapon damage is dealt

kroner
Glowing Blob

TGGood 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on 05.11.12 6:49

I know, I know. Marco and I haven communicated via PM about this. I need to update it. Trouble is, I haven't been at home, and when I got home, we watched The Avengers - pretty damn cool movie BTW. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Anyways, don't derail the thread. I'll update it in a sec.

taem
Blood Golem

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on 05.11.12 14:06

Few more colour + better formatting will goes long way............
This is PHPBB3 already, can do many sexy things.

iwansquall
Necromorb

Underpowered Admin
Badge of Poster Badge of Popularity Loved as Pizza Won: Guide Contest Won: Drawing Contest Badge of Gold Badge of Mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on 05.11.12 17:22

Don't hate Wink . I made that in 1-hour or less. Doesn't need to be flashy. It's for new players. Trying to keep it simple. If you have any formatting ideas, PM me them and I'll see what I can do.

taem
Blood Golem

Back to top Go down

Post by Arc_Razer on 08.11.12 16:10

Just a small thing but i thought Pgems gave +2 max res and Fgems +1

Arc_Razer
Ancient Fungus

Badge of Popularity Badge of Love

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taem on 09.11.12 4:54

Arc_Razer wrote:Just a small thing but i thought Pgems gave +2 max res and Fgems +1

Do they? I'll have to change that. I'm not sure, haven't played in awhile, but starting up again since yesterday.

taem
Blood Golem

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on 09.11.12 8:37

add to Gold section:

Visit Akara for socketed throwing weapons, buy them and put a rune in it and sell again, because this gets you usually vendor cap gold.

And Cave Snapper and Grubber drop huge amounts of Gold, early on far more effective than selling rares

RollsRoyce
Darkwarden

롤스로이스
TGBest 145
Badge of Poster Badge of Popularity Loved as Pizza Badge of Skill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arc_Razer on 09.11.12 15:48

Checked last night, Onyx, Amber, turquoise and bloodstone, All give +2 max res when perfect and +1 when flawless

Arc_Razer
Ancient Fungus

Badge of Popularity Badge of Love

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum