Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[v6d] WNG-din - The Unholy Caster

Post by BassToMouth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am

[MXL:U] WNG-din - The Unholy Caster

By BassToMouth

"Ready to set the world on fire..."

1. Overview
Hi there and welcome to my guide on the WNG-din, the sometimes-unholy-caster-when-he-feels-like-it-din! What does "WNG" stand for? Well... who knows Thinking

At it's foundation, we will be a caster, using lightning wall o-skill from rare/crafted staffs. Our secondary spell will be apocalypse from crafted boots and use 1 point slayer when we need to. The strength of this build comes from the fact that lightning wall is a powerful multi-hit spell and use the support skills from unholy tree to obtain lots of damage even while wearing honorific/rare equipment. We also stack vitality because of the regeneration offered by Tainted Blood and Vindicate. Combo these with potions + life after kill and we have some very good survivability. At times we will utilize other skills like Black Sleep to control difficult enemies or Mindflay since despite being a lightning based spell as well, it serves a different purpose and has different mechanics to LW. If you see an item or skill and you're wondering what it is or does, use the search function in the offline documentation. Updated one can be found: Here
Without further ado, lets start with the basic pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Uses NO SUs, Sets, Great Rune or Elemental rune words.
  • Generally avoids using paladin innate non-buff spells, so we have lots of skill points left over for you to choose where to spend.
  • Superbeast! A.k.a. we look cool Cool
  • Loads of life/vit (17k with no heroic charms or crafts!)

Cons:
  • Requires a bit of patience with re-rolling rares/crafts.
  • Lightning Wall o-skill can cause sprite overflow/fps drops if you go too crazy with it.
  • As a caster, you will be required to do some skill switching (but not too much, don't panic!). We will also fiddle with our spec a little bit from time to time.

Quick Abbreviations Reference:
Spoiler:
Abbrev. Meaning
LSD/FSD% Lightning Spell/Fire Spell Damage%
-ELR/EFR% -Enemy Lightning/Fire Resists%
TB/DA/VoJ Tainted Blood / Divine Apparition / Vessel of Judgement respectively
SB/BS/TSSuperBeast / Black Sleep / Terror Strike respectively
LW/SoD/MF Lightning Wall / Symphony of Destruction / MindFlay
sMax Super Max i.e. put all the points you can in a skill
DR Damage Reduction% mod
TU/SU/SSU/SSSU Tier-up (i.e. "non-sacred") / Sacred Unique and their "secret" counter-parts.
MO/UMO Mystic Orb/Unique Mystic Orb
LAEK Life After Each Kill

2. The Leveling Stage
As we level, we'll start by using a mix of the Apocalypse oskill and Mindflay to rip through our enemies. I found this caster extremely easy to play through untwinked, you only really hit a slight bump between clvl 80-90 where you've just transitioned to Terror Act 2. Once you get your uberskills, your character becomes stupidly strong again, so rest easy!

Leveling Stage Stats
Strength: Enough to equip gear. Later on with Stormlord, you'll need little to no points here.
Dexterity: None.
Vitality: None.
Energy: All (*) You can choose to go half vit, half energy if you wish for better survival.

Leveling Stage Skills
sMax Stormlord, Blessed Life (but don't go over 50% DR), SB, TB, Mindflay
5-10 Points Rapture
10 or 20 Points Slayer
1 Point Pre-requisites and DA
Rest Your choice of VoJ, Rapture or SoD

Leveling Stage Equipment
Weapon: “The Magister” TU Long Staff – Socket with Perfect Rubies. Double Orb not required. We get Apocalypse oskill here so technically you don't need it from boots while leveling. However slvls from items stack so I recommend you still get the oskill from boots.
Body Armour: “Queen of Glass” TU Ancient Armor – comes with Griswold’s Gift Box.
Helmet: “Hierodule” RW Paladin Helmet – for sorceress morph! Results in faster cast animations. *You can use TU Blackguard Helmet (from Griswold’s gift box) until you have access to a Gul rune*
Gloves: T1 Honorific Leather Gloves
Belt: T1 Honorific Belt OR “Aerin Orbiter” TU Belt
Boots: Rare Apocalypse oskill boots OR T1 Honorific Boots
Rings: Rare LSD/FSD% / ELR/EFR% rings with lucky upgrade (for extra 10% SD) and +1 all skills
Amulet: “Fren Slairea” Amulet OR Rare Amulet with spell damage and +all skills.
Mystic Orbs: In high defense items, such as body armour, prioritize 350% ED first. Otherwise, you can fill up the rest with resists, LSD/FSD%, and ELR/EFR%.
Sockets: No sockets in T1 honorific gear since we don’t want minimum req level raised. Perfect Rubies in weapon, Ith runes in body armour, Ort/Ral runes or Zod LSD/FSD% jewelcrafts in the rest.

Our Goals during the Leveling Stage
  • Get comfortable with keeping up the Vindicate curse on enemies.
  • Start collecting arcane shards/crystals. This is because we want as many shards as we can get for jewelcrafting.
  • Complete all Level Challenges, Mini-games, Stat/Skill Signets and get to Act 5 Destruction.
  • Get comfortable with the offline documentation and grig's online tools (will be explained in the next section).

Notable Challenges/Encounters
  • LC0 (a.k.a Volrath) - It's foolish to try and do this in unholy spec or VoJ. Easiest way I've found is to get a random spear from Charsi (with the gold signets you get at the start), and use retaliate. Make sure you summon Volrath in an area NEAR Kill Rats. They're pathetically weak, but will help you get retaliate procs. Also because they're ranged, they won't get killed when all the traps are down. You can continue leveling in holy melee spec for a while if you want, since you can re-spec anytime from Akara (reward for completing Den of Evil).
  • Black Road Challenge - The trial of knowledge is the hardest one here (rest of them are easy). It's been nerfed in 6d so it's quite easy to just come in after you hit clvl 120 and wreck the place with lightning wall. Use Slayer/VoJ for neon fiends.
  • LC2 (a.k.a Tal Rasha) - Off-screen mindflay + slayer is key here!
  • Nithalak (when farming stat signets) - Stack some lightning and fire resist, since the main cause of death is Succubus/Unseelie curse (the bubbly thing above your head) + Storm Shaman Lightning Wall/Fairy Rings. The way I like to do this is to put my spare points into Black Sleep (unholy melee tree) and just charm everything and power-walk by them (don't melee if you see the thorns aura), straight to Nithalak. I also like to put T6 Great Maul ("The Flying Anvil") on switch and just spam TS on Nithalak and let flamestrikes destroy him.

Spoiler:

Help! I can't do X Challenge or Y Area!
First of all, I will be linking two great sources of information for beginners:
  1. Iwansquall's MXL for Dummies: Here
  2. FazerMint's Challenges for Beginners: Here

If you're still struggling with something, feel free to post in this thread or go into the "Newbie Section" of the forums found Here. There should be a "short questions" thread floating around somewhere, and its checked very regularly by many players.

3. Basic Item Affixes Mechanics and Finding Information
Before we continue further, I feel it is imperative that you (the reader) understand the basic mechanics behind how items generate affixes since much of our equipment will be rares/crafted items. This way you will be able to make your own educated decisions about keeping certain items, and also if you decide to play another character in the future, you'll be able to build your own set of gear.

First of all, iLvl, qLvl & aLvl.
  • iLvl - This is the "hidden" level of the item, generally corresponding to the area you found the item in. Generally we want this to be at 99. You can see this value via plugy or MXL utility tools.
  • qLvl - The "quality" level of an item. You can find a full list of this under "Base items" in the offline documentation. 4th column from the right called "Itm Lvl." You'll notice that higher quality swords E.g. War sword (T1) has a qLvl of 18 has more qLvl, compared to Short Sword (T1) which only has qLvl 1. This will have an effect on the aLvl.
  • aLvl - The overall number that will affect how an item will turn out with it's affixes. A full list can be found Here. Simply match up the iLvl and qLvl row to get the aLvl. E.g. T1 War Sword with ilvl of 24 and qLvl 18 will have an aLvl = 15.

How to get ilvl 99 items
  • Find the base item in Terror Act 4 Chaos Sanctuary and onwards. If you're trying to get a rare but found a grey/magic item, DO NOT use the quality upgrade recipe since you will lose ilvls from it. Use chaos reroll recipe instead and keep trying until it rolls into a rare.
  • If you're not dealing with sacred items, the unique upgrade quality recipe will automatically set the item to ilvl 99.
  • Gambling at clvl 104+ will always result in ilvl 99 rings/amulets/jewels. I think the gambling formula works something like clvl +- 5 = ilvl.

Grig's Epic Online Tools of Awesome
Heres the link to the site: http://grig.vlexofree.com/

Spoiler:

I've highlighted in red the links that are most important to us.
  • Type - Either prefix or suffix. Don't worry about this so much, just know that rares can only spawn with 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes max, and they can't be from the same group. E.g. Eagle Stance and Elemental totem will NEVER spawn simultaneously on Orbs. Don't confuse this with "Affix" - affix encompasses all suffixes/prefixes.
  • Properties - Will show us what can spawn on different items. You may notice that there are several groups for one affix; this just shows how the game differentiates between the intensity of mods that can spawn, corresponding to the item's aLvl.
  • itemlvl - The minimum aLvl required on an item before a certain affix can spawn. It says itemlvl, but its the same as aLvl.
  • reqlvl - The required cLvl (character level) to equip an item that spawns with a certain affix. The formula for finding the required level of an item can be found in the offline documentation under "Cube Recipes" -> "Shrines." It also shows how crafted items are different from regular rares.
  • rarity and group - rarity is how often an affix will appear (just use this as a relative number), group just means certain affixes cannot spawn at the same time if they're from the same group.
  • items and excepted - Shows which item classes that affixes spawn on. Some things that say "Weapons" encompasses all weapons. Excepted means that those particular items are not counted and cannot spawn with a certain affix. E.g. Meteor Shower spawns on helmets, but NOT on circlets.

Crafted Items
Crafted items follow similar mechanics as rare items, but differ in that they spawn with 1-4 random rare affixes PLUS 0-3 preset affixes, determined by what kind of shrine you are using (Grig's Tools also shows this list). If you craft on items with iLvl 71+ you will ALWAYS see 4 rare affixes spawn. The other big advantage of using crafts is that they always spawn with max sockets and double MO effect.

Shrines and Blessing
After crafting an item via a shrine, you can additionally "bless" them using an arcane crystal + shrine, and what this essentially does is give the item another roll at the 0-3 preset affixes belonging to the shrine. This can only be done once per item (so if nothing happens, hard luck, you got the "0" preset affixes roll). Don't forget that you can bless sacred rares and honorifics as well as crafted items.

So I understand these mechanics, now what?
I'll give a simple example of this knowledge in action. Lets pretend we're a caster sorceress who wants to craft some nice spell damage boots. Having a quick scroll down the Affixes Table, you might notice that boots cannot spawn with %spell damage or -enemy resists. It's clear that there is little reason to actually use ilvl 99 boots since we just want spell damage and using ilvl 99 will force the item to possibly spawn with affixes that raise the required level, limiting our Mystic Orb space. So what we do is use the "zomghelp recipe" (magic weapon/armour + magic amulet + magic ring in cube) to lower the ilvl to 1. Then we upgrade the quality to rare so we can use shrines on it. We also want to use leather boots over something like greaves since that will affect the qlvl (and lower str req too). Now you will notice that the boots will start spawning with lower level requirements for the most part and we're essentially just crafting for the shrine bonus + bless. The end product is that we now have boots with shrine bonus/bless and low level req (around 40 or less) so we're free to MO it up further for more spell damage% or -enemy resists.

4. Early Game Gear and Stats
Spend some time on getting some decent rare rolls and Zod jewelcrafts here since it will take you very far (especially the jewelcrafts since they can be re-used). At this stage, we'll be wanting to get Lightning Wall oskill from our rare staff and Apocalypse from boots to deal with lightning immunes. For the equipment section, make sure you check Grig's Tools Affixes Table to find out the intensities an item can spawn with.

Early Game Stats
Strength: None (after a few charms).
Dexterity: None.
Vitality: Depends (*) I go full vit if I feel I don't need damage e.g. in Toraja. 20k hp is obtainable with very few charms and just some good rares..
Energy: Depends (*) I go full energy if I need to reach some sort of damage check E.g. Lord Aldric Jitan.
Comments: If you're confused here, just go half and half with Vit and Energy for general enemies.

Early Game Skills
sMax Stormlord, Blessed Life (but don't go over 50% DR after gear), SB, TB
5-10 Points Rapture
1 Point Pre-requisites and DA
Rest Your choice of VoJ, Rapture or SoD

Early Game Equipment
* Desirable stats are listed in order of priority. Check Grig's Tools for min-max intensities and use ilvl 99 items unless otherwise stated. Always priortize lightning spell damage over fire spell damage, since lightning wall is our main skill and Apocalypse is just to deal with lightning immunes.
Weapon: *Rare “Lightning Wall” oskill Sacred War Staff. Bless with Ornate Shrine (T6 War Staff is okay too, but it just means you miss out on Shrine Bless)
Desirable stats: / LAEK / %LSD (can spawn up to 125%!) / -ELR% / +energy factor / SD%.
MO with LAEK
Body Armour: Rare Sacred Ancient Armour (or highest base defence armour you can find)
Desirable stats: 10-20% vitality / 200-400 life, / +2 all skills / +Vitality / +all attributes.
Helmet: T6 “Skull Lord” Blackguard Helmet
A decent helmet, we’re mainly using this for FCR and %light/magic spell damage (for slayer) it offers.
Gloves: Sacred Honorific Gauntlets (or highest defence gloves you can get). Use Quiet Shrine Bless before MOing.
If you didn't get 9-10% Vit from the quiet shrine bless, downgrade it using Affix Burn recipe (item + catalyst of destruction + Rune) and try again.
MO this with resists, 30% reanimate skeleton, -ELR/EFR% and rest into LSD/FSD%. Reanimates can be skipped if they lag your PC.
Belt: Sacred Honorific Plated Belt (or highest defence gloves you can get). Use Quiet Shrine Bless before MOing
If you didn't get 9-10% Vit from the quiet shrine bless, downgrade it using Affix Burn recipe (item + catalyst of destruction + Rune) and try again.
Same idea as gloves, but no need for any more skeleton reanimates here.
Boots: Rare Apocalypse oskill sacred rare boots. Use Quiet Shrine Bless and hope for the best.
Desirable stats: +100 life, +30 all attributes, +40 vitality.
Rings: Rare Rings + lucky roll. Gamble some ilvl 99 rare rings and re-roll them using oils of renewal.
Desirable mods: +30% LSD/FSD or +15% SD / -20% ELR/FLR / +1 all skills / +15 LAEK / +10 all attributes / +50 life.
Amulet: Rare Amulet. Gamble some ilvl 99 amulets and re-roll them using oils of renewal.
Desirable Mods: +200-400 life / 20-40% LSD/FSD or +25% SD / -15-30 ELR/EFR / destroyer shaman reanimate (very rare) / +30 AA.
In Inventory: Use “Skald” Kra RW gloves for Bloodlust Charges (unless you find Shamanka or Qarak's Will).
Mystic Orbs: Prioritize max resists and -100 ELR/EFR%. Any spare MO space into LSD/FSD%. Prioritize 350% ED on body armour only..
Sockets: Full Zod Jewelcrafted jewels except in honorific gear since we don't want to raise their required levels. Put Ort runes in belt/gloves.
Picture of what I used for video. You might notice I haven't blessed my honorific gloves/boots... I confess, I actually forgot to before MOing and couldn't be bothered re-rolling and re-MOing... You shouldn't play stupid like me though, so make sure you get the bless before MOing! Also ignore the Nih RW Paladin Spear, elemental totems only last 7 seconds if you switch out Sad
Spoiler:

Screenshot of spell damage after Bloodlust and merc MotW:
Spoiler:

Jewels
I can't stress the importance of crafting good jewels since you have around 20 sockets that you need to fill. Use Zod jewelcrafts to get spell damage and prioritize +30-50 flat life, +5-6 LSD% and +energy factor. Other nice mods are FHR, FCR, FRW, 2% energy/vit and flat vitality (remember 10 vitality = 30 life for paladins).

Here's some random pictures of jewels I made and decided to keep. You can see that even if I don't get much %LSD or %FSD, I choose to keep them if it spawns with +life.

Spoiler:

Mercenary
Use Act 5 Barbarian Mercenary from Hatred for MotW. Later you can equip Qarak’s Will on him to get Bloodlust as well. Gear here doesn’t matter too much but I used Cauldron RW Helm, Random rare great sword with Nih Runes, “Robe of Leaves” T6 Scale Mail (MotW Elemental Damage Boost), “Truce” RW Belt, “Nephilim” RW Boots, “Toorc’s Gift” T6 Heavy Gloves (Glacial Nova Proc) and a random rare amulet I rolled with Destroyer Shaman reanimate (other stats were too rubbish for me to use on my main character). Stack as much Nih runes as you can get your hands on for your merc, since it will increase the duration of his MotW. *Don’t forget to keep your merc buffed with TB and Rapture!

Why do we use LW/Apocalypse over slayer/mindflay?
I will give some basic information here behind my reasoning of picking up oskills over the innate paladin skills
  • Using oskills means we free up around 50-60~ hard points since we no longer need to place points into MF/slayer. This means all our other support buff skills are now THAT much more effective.
  • No matter how many points you place into slayer, the casters will always cap at 5. There is also the major downside of it only being single target. The KB it offers is great, but we can get this KB using 1 point slayer as well.
  • Mindflay is a great skill and I can already think of several encounters where I would prefer MF over LW (e.g. Astrogha, Quov Tsin etc.) but for most other things, LW will do a great job. We just don't need a second lightning spell skill and also requires about 50-60~ points due to requiring points in slayer for synergy. In places where immunities aren't a problem (TA, Cow Level, certain bosses), LW and Mindflay can be used in conjunction to great success, since spamming LW alone can cause a lot of fps lag.
  • LW does have one big downside - it can cause insane fps drops and sprite overflow because of the way the skills is animated. In fact, Island of the Sunless Sea in 6d is pretty much impossible with this skill because of the fps drops and instant sprite overflow.
  • Magic damage (from slayer) has an innate disadvantage because we cannot get shrine bless for %magic spell damage and no -enemy magic resist% modifier exists on items. -Enemy resists is extremely important because it comes in quite late in the damage calculation formula, meaning it essentially effects your TOTAL damage. To put it into perspective, hitting an enemy with a fire spell that has -100 enemy fire resist will double your total damage (which is huge), whereas if that same enemy had 99 fire resist, you would essentially do no damage at all. Logically, you can see that things that come LATE in the damage calculation has a very big impact on how much damage you do.

I have 798123 SUs in my stash, why are we using crappy rares and honorifics?
There is a reason why I chose to go with an "undergeared" set up over picking powerful SUs (other than the obvious, "its untwink friendly"), and that is because it shows you the boundaries of your character and forces you to think in different ways. Many people tend to run into problems and assume that better gear is required to patch something up. In some cases, gear is mandatory but in my opinion, many of these encounters can be completed simply by changing your train of thought. I feel too many players try to patch up the weaknesses in their characters and builds with better quality items and this often tends to make them miss a lot of very powerful utility skills.

To give an example, while playing this build Toraja was extremely slow and Bartuc felt nigh impossible using my regular rare gear and the first thought I had was "if I had more damage and gear, this would be easy." But after trying several different set ups and failures, I found that all I really needed to do was to put my spare points into Black Sleep and use a T6 Great Maul to complete these encounters in around a minute. As you can see, if I concluded that "better gear" was the solution, my train of thought would have stopped there and I would never have gotten to try out how extremely powerful sMaxed Black Sleep is. And of course, now in the future, I am aware that I can solve similar situations and encounters with Black Sleep.

5. Early Game Ubers & Charms
I'll be splitting this section into three parts, mainly because the videos were too long. There's no new gear obtained or changed throughout the video in Part A and B (I'm only using the early-game equipment shown in the picture above), but Part C will utilize some different equipment to do the encounters. Charms are also obtained progressively, but you don't need to follow the order I did these in if you don't want to. Consult the offline documentation for details on mechanics.

Part A
Use Bloodlust for more damage before doing summoning ubers and also remember to keep your merc out for most encounters!

1. Creature of Flame: LW and finish!
  2. The Butcher: Put some Summon Daystar MOs onto a piece of jewelry and use those to lure him into his own circles. Cast LW and he dies.
  3. Binding of Baal: Pre-cast LW and finish!
  4. Assault on Mt. Arreat: Same as Binding of Baal.
  5. Akarat: Same as Binding of Baal
  6. Infernal Machine: All this fight is just dealing with a bunch of elite monsters really. Do your best to avoid deathstrikes - they will make a small white patch on the ground before striking.
  7. Judgment Day: Lure the King downstairs (he's the one with shoulder pads), and keep summoning Daystars with pre-casted LWs in between. I put around 12~ or so Daystar MOs into my ring so I had around 8 to max daystar summons. I go upstairs to lure any stray Edyrems back up so I can pick up charm safely, but it wasn't really needed.
  8. K3KBA: Just kill the bottom right necromancer until he drops your charm. You can clear the rest of the area if you wish, but I find that re-making games until the charm drops is fastest (it still can take a while though).

Video: Early Game Ubers Part A:

Part B
Keep in mind that for 16. Toraja and 17. Bartuc we take our spare points out of VoJ (or elsewhere if you put it) into Black Sleep and 1 point Terror Strike to charm our enemies into fighting each other. Just think of it as a form of crowd control.

• 9. Kalimgrad: DA over to the avatar and kill ethereals and proceed to destroy avatar. No need to really consider much else here.
  • 10. Azmodan: Move around the edges until you find him. Avoid trap rats and jump in if you feel the elites nearby him can be handled. You essentially only need a few seconds to cast some LWs on him and he'll go down very quickly.
  • 11. Rathma Square: Similar concept as Azmodan, best strategy is to rush him and rely on our high HP to kill him before he kills us.
  • 12. Tran Athulua: Go somewhat slowly here since tanking a full arrowside results in death (the massive spam-wave of arrows that some zons cast on death). Otherwise, just put some LWs and Edyrems ahead, cast Vindicate from time to time and it is an easy uber.
  • 13. Lord Aldric Jitan: Same concept as all summoning ubers. With around 600% LSD and full energy stat build, you should be able to kill him without too much trouble.
  • 14. Cathedral of Vanity: Cast some Edyrems to lure away Inarius and some nuns near the small room. DA over to the crystal ball and LW -> proceed to kill everything else in the room.
  • 15. Inarius' Revenge: Another basic summoning uber. Just watch out for the deathstrikes when overlords die.
  • 16. Toraja: Use 1 point Terror Strike and sMax Black Sleep (taking points out of VoJ and few from TB if you need to) along with T6 Great Maul for flamestrike procs and I chose to pump a decent amount of vit here (can't remember the exact number but the ratio was something like 7:3, Vit:Energy). Use BS to control the Celebrants/Morlus and summon Edyrems on top of Lilith until she drops immunities and kill. Watch out for broadside since meleeing her means we got to get in range of it (can't LW here since TS locks out ranged skills).
  • 17. Bartuc: Same concept as Toraja, use BS to charm golems and control them. Try not to stand in wychwind for too long since it hurts (we can tank a few seconds though with full vitality spec).

Video: Early Game Ubers Part B:

Part C
This section is going to list some of the trickier ubers. I'll be updating it every now and again since I'll be doing my best to do all that I can with gear restriction. Of course, you can obtain better gear and make these encounters a piece of cake, but if you want a challenge you can try to do them in rares/honorific gear.

1. Ghosts of Old Bremmtown - I'd recommend doing this after getting your heroic charms since those are fairly easy to obtain and the extra stats/hp will come in handy. I used the "heroic" honorific gear set here, except I switched out the gloves for our original 30% skeleton reanimate honorific gloves, since they are useful in distracting the ghosts long enough for you to kill them. Use Mindflay here (with 20 pt. Slayer for beams), since it has the advantage of ridiculous range and the slight bounce off-walls mechanic which will allow us to kill everything in here without much trouble. Shoot the walls to create an electric field around you as you move forward and use Edyrems to lure some out. When you hit the long stretch of ground, start sniping down the lanes since the ghosts will get hit. Using this method will kill some of them, giving you reanimates to distract them long enough for you to MF them down. Boss itself only takes a few MF and then you can TP to town and get the charm upgrade.
  2. Island of the Sunless Sea - As of 6e - for anyone trying to do IotSS with this build... its really easy if you use T6 Angel Star + Bone shield + Mindflay. 40% Magic resist means revelers do very little damage (LW on switch is possible now too since the graphics got reduced hoooray!). There are various SUs out there that also give large amounts of magic resist, so if you have access to those, use them!

Video: Ghosts of Old Bremmtown to some good old Kiwi music.

6. Early Game Heroic Bosses
This section will list the slightly harder uber bosses a.k.a. heroic bosses. Each of these encounters has a boss who uses a heroic shield mechanic - this means they are immune to all elements, except they sometimes drop an element from time to time. We'll be using mostly the same type of gear as before, but we'll be creating a new set of honorific gear to reach the 450 in all element resists and -199 ELR%. We'll also be using Mindflay for some of these encounters since some bosses have a "teleport when struck" mechanic, meaning multi-hitting skills like LW don't do so well here.

Also keep in mind that some of these bosses in heroic areas (e.g. Belial, Quov Tsin, Astrogha) have a CHANCE to spawn in those areas. We actually DON'T want them to spawn so we can clear out the elites in the area first before using Dark Summoning to bring them out. Sometimes it can take a while to summon them since it's just random chance.

New Gear
Keep your staff, body armour, rings and amulet (you could try and roll a slightly better rings/amulet before trying these if you're struggling to hit -199 ELR) as it is, but for the helmet, gloves, belt and boots slots, make some Ornate Shrine Bless (LSD%/-ELR%) honorifics (defense doesn't matter too much here, so just go with whatever base items are available). Unless you're doing Quov Tsin, socket every honorific slot with Ort runes for LSD% since most jewelcrafts will raise the required level too high. MO each honorific until you hit around -199 ELR% and put the rest into LSD%/resists. Leave any spare MO slots alone until you do Quov Tsin, since you want to reach 450% in all resists later (and you'll want to juggle these values around a bit after socketing perfect gems). The reason we want -199 ELR is because heroic shield bosses constantly randomize their resists so having a higher value helps to smooth out and increase your damage.

1. Baal - The easiest heroic shield boss out there - think of this encounter as an introduction to how heroic shield bosses work. Just spam LW and Edyrems and wait for him to die. Don't worry if you get shattered by his Thunderslam, retrieving your body is easy here.
  2. Bull Prince Rodeo (BPR) - He's been made a lot harder supposedly in 6d, but if you position yourself correctly he is still a pushover. Just place yourself against a 90 degree wall to avoid stampeding cows (insta-kill) and also counters his KB from blast wave. Once you're in position, spam LW and he will die. Watching the video will make more sense.
  3. Quov Tsin (QT) - First of all, unsocket all your gear and place perfect gems in your sockets until you have F:94/C:92/L:94/P:80 resists (can't get 94 cold since we run out of spare sockets). Next, stack 450%~ in all resists since QT's spells pierce -250% of your resists (so with destruction penalty 100 + 250 + 95 = 445~ resists that we need to maintain max resistances). Even though we don't have 95 in all resists, QT actually can't outdps our TB regen rate so we can just stand still once we have resistances sorted. If you get hit by hive (the poison fart swarms), just use a potion to counter it. Next thing you need to do after meeting the gear check, is re-spec by taking points out of VoJ and TB, and sMax Mindflay + 20 points in Slayer (for extra MF beams). Once you've done this, go to Stony Tomb (hopefully QT didn't spawn), clear out elites and then use Dark Summoning to bring him out in an open area. Now chase and MF until he dies (take note of how I always stay "under" Quov Tsin in the video to force him to teleport upward and away into the walls so I don't have to chase him all around the map). *Note* QT can sometimes teleport into the walls and because you can no longer hit him, he will be stuck there forever. If this happens, you just have to summon another one and try again.
  4. Belial - Same concept as the aforementioned bosses (no need for resists here, just go full jewelcraft + Ort in honorifics) and -199 ELR% + LW will take him down insanely quickly. Once you've cleared the area he spawns in, Dark Summon him ACROSS a river and then DA across to trap his ratfinks on the other side. Ratfinks are annoying little bastards that deal a lot of physical damage but can't be killed. Just go in and out of the area, using LW until Belial dies and healing with pots when you need to. He has an AoE burn attack that drops your HP to 1, so if you get hit by that (and you will), just wait in the level above (Ancient's Way) until it drops off and use pots to heal. Also, sometimes he will follow you upstairs. It's not a problem if this happens, simply repeat the process except your "safe spot" is now in the heroic area.
  5. Astrogha - This one is probably the hardest of this lot, but still fairly doable. First, read the offline documentation to understand what Astrogha does and what his statues do. Once you understand, use your mindflay skill set as your main damage skill here. The trick is to WAIT for him to start summoning statues a decent distance away before you use MF. Occasionally you will accidentally kill a statue (hopefully Astrogha wasn't nearby) and you will turn "brittle" and a Darkling will 1 shot you. It's not a big problem if this happens, simply summon Edyrems and use DA to freeze them and use that time to regain your body. If its looking really messy, you can use MF naked to kill the Darklings, as it still does a lot of damage to them. The video shows a ending of the entire encounter (it took around 3 deaths and 4~ minutes for the entire kill), but what you want to pay attention to is how I wait before using MF since the statues die by themselves and will leave a clear path for MF to hit Astrogha. Use Edyrems to distract Darklings and 3-4 hits should finish the fight.

Video: Early Game Heroic Bosses

Pictures of stats I had when doing Quov Tsin. I use the same gear for the other bosses, just change the perfect gems to your original jewelcrafts/Ort Runes
Spoiler:

6. Early Game Farming Spots
The main areas we're going to be farming is Chrysaor (easy) for SUs and Terror Fauztinville for shrines (to replace our rares with decent shrinecrafts). Of course, you should always continue to collect arcane shards and make better jewelcrafts and we can do p1-p8 TA for set items.

1. Chrysaor (Easy) - This is our holy grail of SUs and its actually A LOT faster than the vast majority of Duncraig farming builds. Each run will net you either T6 or SUs (very rarely T5) and it will take around 30~ seconds per run. Note this works best on singleplayer since you can keep the good map rolls, but its doable in multiplayer too since there are a decent number of maps you can roll where the entrance to Act 3 Sewers Level 1 is close to entrance to Sewer levels 2. Just follow a similar run to what I do in the video and fill your stash with SUs Smile
  2. Tran Athulua - You only really need to come in here if you want sets. With our current gear, p8 is still doable but noticeably slower. I would recommend anywhere between p2-p4 for best results. Use Mindflay down narrow corridors and place LWs on the edge of your screen and repeat the process across the entire map.
  3. Terror Fauztinville - Since Destruction Fauzt is still very difficult for our undergeared selves, just stick to Terror Fauztinville for shrines. There's very little reason for us to farm Des Fauzt, since we won't be using any great runes, it's better to speedfarm Terror Fauzt. I didn't make a video for this since its basically the same thing as TA. Use MF to off screen + LW on the edge of your screen, except use slayers to deal with immunes like neon fiends. If you want to be farming Des Fauzt for GRs, you will have to wait a bit until we have better gear and more damage (or you can farm it very slowly with blacksleep).

Video: Early Game Farming Spots

Pictures: Drops from 7 consecutive Chrysaor Runs
Spoiler:

7. Early Game Conclusion
So hopefully while reading this guide, you have now got the general feel of the build as well as knowing what affixes are favourable for us. Mid-game gear is essentially the same, except we replace our rares/honorifics with shrinecrafts and you will see a noticeable difference in damage. Of course there are great SU choices out there for us, so if you find them, feel free to replace and move your gear around. I purposely tried to show what kind of items we want to target, so by looking at our early game item choices, the mid and late-game should look something similar, except with more spell damage%/life/vit etc.

If you have any questions or want advice with a certain area or encounter, feel free to ask in this thread. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by BassToMouth on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 22 times in total

BassToMouth
Mindless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [v6d] WNG-din - The Unholy Caster

Post by BassToMouth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:12 am

*Reserved for something later*

BassToMouth
Mindless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 am

Honesty you misunderstood power of SoD: even with base charms it can 1-2 shot anything non poison immune(same for bpr/belial).
Honesty i have nothing against lightning wall/ but you can be effective with mf too, even not less. If you promote one oskill everywhere then some day soon it can be called op and will be nerfed.(you can always disagree with this, by "you" i meant not only you,remember stoya). Isn't it better to promote original skill concept first, because newcomers that will read this can thought that original uha skills are worst. I tried that and even Marco will be agree with it: that you can do the same(easy ubers with ss and cc) mb even faster with original skills, just try mf/SoD with -100 res + Slayer or if you already tried give feedback about them and why you pick oskill instead of original skills, because this can be interesting for me and even you.
Since i knew that UHA caster din will be a first guide here, i was ready.

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RollsRoyce on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am

will read when im no longer drunk Smile ..so far i can only say i like the layout ...i should give you more cookies

RollsRoyce
The Smith

롤스로이스 ☆☆☆☆
TGBest Transferred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m0r1n on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm

I have a kinda of newbish question : Do I reroll the sacred rares with Dragon eggs or with Oils of Renewal? And is there a difference between the two?

m0r1n
Returned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iwansquall on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Oil is faster, dragon eggs is free.

iwansquall
Blood Golem

Underpowered Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DDraabe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm

dragon reroll the item as ilvl 99 on dest and can be fast and easy with d2clicker
oils of renewal reroll the item as the ilvl of the item dont need to finde/summon dragon

DDraabe
Steelfur Titan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BassToMouth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:28 pm

@vadust wrote:Honesty you misunderstood power of SoD: even with base charms it can 1-2 shot anything non poison immune(same for bpr/belial).
Honesty i have nothing against lightning wall/ but you can be effective with mf too, even not less. If you promote one oskill everywhere then some day soon it can be called op and will be nerfed.(you can always disagree with this, by "you" i meant not only you,remember stoya). Isn't it better to promote original skill concept first, because newcomers that will read this can thought that original uha skills are worst. I tried that and even Marco will be agree with it: that you can do the same(easy ubers with ss and cc) mb even faster with original skills, just try mf/SoD with -100 res + Slayer or if you already tried give feedback about them and why you pick oskill instead of original skills, because this can be interesting for me and even you.
Since i knew that UHA caster din will be a first guide here, i was ready.

SoD attacks every 1~ sec at sMax for an average amount of poison damage... It's certainly no angel of death. Hence why it isn't a main skill, but if you read the guide properly, you will see that using lightning wall oskill gives us enough spare points for user to put into SoD. But if you do this you lose points in VoJ, in which case you're the one underestimating the damage of VoJ and there are A LOT less physical immunes than there are poison immunes. As for stoya, I think he promoted mindflay plenty in his Barb vid against Brachy.

My Reasoning for using Oskills over innate:
If you go MF + slayer over lightning wall/apocalypse, you're essentially sinking around 60~ skill points which means you have to sacrifice other skills like blessed life (HUGE source of DR, lets us use rares/honorifics without any problems), VoJ, rapture which makes a huge difference. Not to mention slayers cap at 5 no matter your skill level... you really want to use that as a main skill and sink 20-30 points into it? Imo its already good enough as a 1 point skill against stuff like Neon Fiends in Fauzt and utilize the KB. Even if you disagree with me, if you opt to use LW/Apocalypse, YOU CAN STILL pick up slayer since we have more than enough spare points... The only skill in my eyes worth sMaxing is mindflay, but there's not much point in doing that when you already have a free lightning based oskill that comes from a cheap rare staff... But really, if you want to use Mindflay as main skill you need to invest 10, 20 or 30 points into slayer, so thats around 50-60 points sunk just to make 1 skill work... I would use Mindflay against bosses like Quov Tsin, Astrogha etc. where you want to be controlling where they move rather than spamming uncontrollable LWs, but for everything else, multi-hit skills will come out superior.

I did originally want to do this with Avalanche oskill over LW just to avoid people complaining about "overused" skills, but I really didn't like how the skill has to be aimed so went for LW for now. Maybe I will test this some more in the future, but rolling a decent set of rare/crafted gear is very time-consuming and I just didn't have that with the amount of time proper formatting and writing a guide takes. I will however take your feedback positively and explain why I chose oskills over innate skills in the guide.

@m0r1n wrote:I have a kinda of newbish question : Do I reroll the sacred rares with Dragon eggs or with Oils of Renewal? And is there a difference between the two?

Use oil of renewal, they are MUCH faster for your average user. I think Aahz posted somewhere that his D2clicker is set up to do around 120~ (around there) clicks per Dragon Egg (depends on how good your pc is as well I think) and so that's probably nearly on par but then you gotta actually factor the time spent remaking games and finding an egg etc. I personally would only use this to roll a non-ilvl 99 sacred item to 99 and then opt for oils of renewal. Ofc if you get sick of rolling using oils of renewal, dragon egg hunting might not be a bad way to take a quick break.

BassToMouth
Mindless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vadust on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I didn't said that you need to max SoD so it can be effective. With tu6 and ss and cc as 1 point it will already 2 shot bpr(with - res ofc).I see no reason to use 10k damage voj and put points in it if i can use 20 hard point slayer that will give 2-x more damage and does not req to actually tank monster, that voj require.
Note:nvm i just like uha original build concept and know that it will work everythere. Since you promote other combo of oskills, feel free.
But you really miss SoD.

vadust
Scaled Mutant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stoya on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 pm

@bass : who cares its overused man Smile i used lightningwall over thunderstone in my videos to show people there are OTHER way and simply you can fing LW in crafts.. it was my main goal, just show people you can do it Smile
and best thing is lightning wall is awesome against bosses, well cant use in normal game due to lag Smile
didnt finish reading but using oskill with superbeast spell dmg buff and saving pts is awesome idea if you ask me(well same mind) and you have other skills to deal with imm.. looks cool, lemme finish full guide but i dont like pallys so much Smile

stoya
Darkwarden

do some research LOL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum